Ok, I am thinking of repainting my modded G-400. So I have a few questions (you personally don't have to answer all of them, so just answer what you can):

I would need to take out the electronics fist correct?

So I remove electronics, sand, primer, paint, lacquer, buff, re-install electronics, and go home.

Also, I have to use more classic-style, high-quality products as to not destroy the tone. Right?

And what would I do with the neck?

What is the best way to remove electronics?

What are some good paints, laquers and primers?

P.S. I will only be using black, white, and maybe grey (hopefully making a trans white body w/ greyburst finish and my band logo in black).

I will upload a photoshop of my idea later.
Last edited by RockDJ at Mar 3, 2008,
Quote by Twisted Wishes
sounds cool, looking forward to the photo, good luck with it man.

Thanks.

Last edited by RockDJ at Mar 3, 2008,
Quote by RockDJ
I would need to take out the electronics fist correct?

So I remove electronics, sand, primer, paint, lacquer, buff, re-install electronics, and go home.

Also, I have to use more classic-style, high-quality products as to not destroy the tone. Right?

ill just answer them in order, the best i can.

1. Correct.
2. Basically, but 1 day is kinda rushed to do everything. take 3ish days is my guess.
3. Tonewise, your overall correct. but it also depends on your amp.
4. My guess is that its bolt on, so, unscrew it and set it aside. if its set neck or glued in, just tape it up.
5. best way? ive heard the best way is to just desolder the pups and jack, and keep the pots/switch together. just make sure when you rewire that you rewire it the right way.
6. krylon is good. so is rustoleum from what i hear.

Some other stuff to think about is that you'll probably want to sand in between coats, at about 400 grit. plus, some people will tell you to do more coats per color, but, i personally say thats your choice.

hope i helped.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Quote by abyssspecter

1. Correct.
2. Basically, but 1 day is kinda rushed to do everything. take 3ish days is my guess.
3. Tonewise, your overall correct. but it also depends on your amp.
4. My guess is that its bolt on, so, unscrew it and set it aside. if its set neck or glued in, just tape it up.
5. best way? ive heard the best way is to just desolder the pups and jack, and keep the pots/switch together. just make sure when you rewire that you rewire it the right way.
6. krylon is good. so is rustoleum from what i hear.

Some other stuff to think about is that you'll probably want to sand in between coats, at about 400 grit. plus, some people will tell you to do more coats per color, but, i personally say thats your choice.

hope i helped.

Thanks.
... Also, I have to use more classic-style, high-quality products as to not destroy the tone. Right?

P.S. I will only be using black, white, and maybe grey (hopefully making a trans white body w/ greyburst finish and my band logo in black) ...
If you plan to match the back of the neck with the Trans White of the body, it'll go through the same painting protocol as the body. You'd also need to tape the fretboard (Rosewood or Ebony) thoroughly to ensure the paint doesn't seep through/under the tape.

You can't use Krylon or Rustoleum if you want a transparent finish, those are opaque. If I were you, I'd go Nitro just like on the Gibsons. ReRanch and StewMac both sell Nitro in spraycans.

Check the Ultimate Refinishing sticky specifically, page 1. It has links to refinishing from both. Read them 3 times, and if you think you got it, read them again.

An inexpensive option for the Clearcoat is the Deft Nitro spray (Matte or Glossy), available from the bigbox DIY stores like Lowes or Home Depot. They go for about $4/can when they're on sale. Good Luck!

Quote by abyssspecter

unfortunately, the G-400 is set neck. tape it up really well or your fretboard is done for
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Ippon
If you plan to match the back of the neck with the Trans White of the body, it'll go through the same painting protocol as the body. You'd also need to tape the fretboard (Rosewood or Ebony) thoroughly to ensure the paint doesn't seep through/under the tape.

completly missed that

yea, thats true. you could always do some stain or something. check home depot or lowes. thats where i used to get all my stains.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Dude, if you can, get a flamed maple top with trans red. It would look AMAZING on an SG
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by abyssspecter

Take off everything you can from the guitar. Electronics, bridge studs, strap buttons, nut, and tuners.

To take out the electronics, you will first want to desolder the pickups from the selector, and desolder the jack from the pots. You could also desolder the wires connecting the pots to each other, but that isn't 100% necissary, it will make the removal of the pots easier, but it will make resoldering the electronics more difficult if you don't know what you're doing. To remove the pots you need to remove the knobs which either pull right off, or will have a screw that you have to loosen to take the knobs off. Then hold one hand on the pots, and take a set of pliers and twist the nut that holds the pots in place. Do that for all the pots.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club