hey y'all im learning music theroy from this site http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/html/id22_en.html and they said that A natural minor was played A B C D E F G A, how do I play this I have a fret board diagram that I look at that tells me the notes, but I still can't figure it out I thought for it to be a scale you have a whole note, then a half, then 2 whole, then another half but for it to be a half note it has to be a sharp or a falt . Also do I play scales on 1 string or do I mix the strings up? thanks for the help guys
Whoa man, you seem very confused there. Allow me to rectify that.

Ok, basically in music, you've got 12 notes. They are as follows:

A, A#/Bb, B, C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E, F, F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab.

Now, a scale is simply a collection of notes in a certain order. The pattern that makes up a scale can be described using Tones and Semi-tones. What are Tones and Semi-tones I hear you ask? Simply the distance between notes. A Semi-tone is the distance between one note to the one right next to it, or from one fret to the next on your guitar. So A to Bb is a semi-tone, F# to G is a semi-tone, ect. B to C and E to F are both Semi-tone intervals, and are the only notes without a sharp or flat in between them. When I say interval, I simply mean going from one note to another, and the space or 'interval' between them.

Now, scales. The A minor scale is the only minor scale to have all natural notes. A natural note is simply a note that is not sharp or flat. Simple, yes?

Now, to play that scale, find the notes on your fretboard, and play them in order.
sig goes here
okay what your calling semi tones and tones Im calling whole and half notes, actually the may be intervals its really early over here, but thanks for the help. but do I play them on one string or move around to different strings?
Quote by therealtater
okay what your calling semi tones and tones Im calling whole and half notes, actually the may be intervals its really early over here, but thanks for the help. but do I play them on one string or move around to different strings?

Any strings that you want, you can play it on one string, but it is almost always better to use more than one string. Also, if you want to call them half and whole, call them half and whole tones, or half and whole steps. Calling them half and whole notes will confuse them with time values.
The intervals of a major scale are W W H W W W H
The intervals of a minor scale are W H W W H W W

where W is a Whole Step/Whole Tone and H is a Half Step/Semitone.