Hi ive only just registered but i have been browsing for a couple of years. but i am not aware if anyone has posted a thread, about what string gauges are the best for the various tunings you can use.

sure, you may think a well established bass player should know this already. but i was interested as i cant find any recommendations on the internet or anything. id find it pretty handy myself and im sure beginners would be interested.

please correct me or evern better, direct me to the thread if this has already been made.

Cheers.
Basses
Ibanez srx300
Ibanez srx595
Amp
Trace Elliot GP12SMX Head
Trace Elliot 1048H 4x10
Trace Elliot 1518 1x15
Hartke VX210 2x10
Ill reply as a guitarist, but the same apllies to basses
you should think about the neck of the guitar in the first place
some guitars are made for 9's (like mine) and some are for 12's (like m friend's)
both standard... it doesn't really matter imho, it's just a matter of personal taste and the instrument itself
yeah some necks have been constructed to suit lower tunings etc. baritones and what not.

i dont think that necessarily for basses though, i guess most necks are constructed in similar ways, and depending on the tuning you use and the gauge of string, theres a chance the neck can be effected. for example, if you play in a lower tunning like b and only use 9's on a guitar the neck could warp. The lower the tuning the higher the string gauge. i was going to ask people what are the best guages for tunings as low as A up to standard.
Basses
Ibanez srx300
Ibanez srx595
Amp
Trace Elliot 1048H 4x10
Trace Elliot 1518 1x15
Hartke VX210 2x10
Neck construction has nothing to do with it. They have massive rods running through them, they're not going to warp. However, the lower the tuning the higher you want the gauge to retain tension, and the higher the tuning, the lower you want the gauge so as to not break the string from added tension.
u see what im saying though. the wood in a neck is flexible, and yes there is a "massive" rod, or rods in them. if you have a certain gage on a bass, say 40's for standard. the neck will set to that tension, but if you keep that gauge and have a lower tuning, all that tension is obviously, going to be lost. and theres one thing the neck will do, go inwards on itself. so to make sure this doesnt happen, i guess for a lower tuning get a higher gauge to regain that tension?
Basses
Ibanez srx300
Ibanez srx595
Amp
Trace Elliot 1048H 4x10
Trace Elliot 1518 1x15
Hartke VX210 2x10
No, adjust the truss rod (massive rod). You can counteract any kind of bow (mostly) or bend by adjusting that all powerful rod. The strings' tension is much more important than the neck tension for what you're asking.
i think ill wait till someone posts what i actually asked for really.
Basses
Ibanez srx300
Ibanez srx595
Amp
Trace Elliot 1048H 4x10
Trace Elliot 1518 1x15
Hartke VX210 2x10
Quote by agoulding

I doubt anyone will bother if you're just rude to people who are trying to help. I presume you've read the FAQ and tunemybass.com, right?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
No, adjust the truss rod (massive rod). You can counteract any kind of bow (mostly) or bend by adjusting that all powerful rod. The strings' tension is much more important than the neck tension for what you're asking.

I went from 40s up to 50s (very big change). my neck was bowed like something awful! I few quick turns of the truss rod (massive rod) and it was back to normal. (intonation was way off). Trust jazz_rock_feel on this one.
Quote by agoulding

I think its all a matter of personal preference. I chose 50s not because I wanted to play in D, but because I wanted a duller, thicker sound. Lighter strings will give you a brighter, lighter sound. If you play in a drop tuning, and the strings seem too floppy, give thicker strings a try. I consider 40s or 45s to be pretty standard, and 50s and 55s to be thick.
Last edited by terb at Mar 3, 2008,
I use 135-105-85-65-45 for my 5 string in B standard. You need that heavy guage on the low B though, as it doesn't have an elongated scale (just 34").
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by terb
I went from 40s up to 50s (very big change). my neck was bowed like something awful! I few quick turns of the truss rod (massive rod) and it was back to normal. (intonation was way off). Trust jazz_rock_feel on this one.

I think its all a matter of personal preference. I chose 50s not because I wanted to play in D, but because I wanted a duller, thicker sound. Lighter strings will give you a brighter, lighter sound. If you play in a drop tuning, and the strings seem too floppy, give thicker strings a try. I consider 40s or 45s to be pretty standard, and 50s and 55s to be thick.

ok cool. cheers. i didnt really put the first post into much detail about what i wanted to hear. but yeah thats cool.

yeah, for my 5 string i use the same. i dont really go lower tbh for that. i think the strings would be too tight if i went higher aswell.
Basses
Ibanez srx300
Ibanez srx595
Amp
Trace Elliot 1048H 4x10
Trace Elliot 1518 1x15
Hartke VX210 2x10