Im thinking of buying a new bass, i currently play a Yamaha RBX374 through a Laney R5, im happy with the sound but ive had the bass for a while now and i think its time to upgrade as my band is gigging soon and i would like to use my Yamaha as a back up.

I mainly play metal, hardcore and rock sort of stuff, and im looking to spend around £500 gbp.

Any suggestions?
Some people may call me tasteless, but i personally think Rickenbackers are the ugliest basses to ever land on this earth.
Spector Rebop, Fender Highway 1 Precision or Jazz, Warwick Corvettes or Streamers and loads more stuff. Make sure you try before you buy.
signature
Ive played a corvette and i was impressed with how it played, gonna have to save a bit though. If i was to get one id want active pickups and the nirvana black stain
Some people may call me tasteless, but i personally think Rickenbackers are the ugliest basses to ever land on this earth.
i used to have that yamaha, if you like the sound with the active electronics and pups, i upgraded to a ibanez srx595 (5 string, but that whole series of bass do 4 string aswell, which i will reccomend) which have a pretty similar electronics sytem and play alot nicer imo. they do sound alot better aswell. You could always go for the next series up, like someone said above, the SR series, i didnt go with those because of the curved bodies which i cannot stand.
Basses
Ibanez srx300
Ibanez srx595
Amp
Trace Elliot GP12SMX Head
Trace Elliot 1048H 4x10
Trace Elliot 1518 1x15
Hartke VX210 2x10
get an ibanez

either an sr seris or an srx series they are really nice sounding
but if you wanted a V or something along those lines a Dean might be down your road
just try some of thoes basses you and see waht you think
Id like to try out a dean razorback to see how it plays but they are well over my budget haha