ok that makes it a little more clear

so that would mean that the arpeggios that a like super long are just the same notes repeated over in different places just like scales!?
theyre really hard. Does that help? No im just kidding i dont know much but it seems like people use a lot of them when sweep picking
basic definition of an arpeggio is playing notes of a chord seperatley....but it can get a lot more advanced than that
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Arpeggios are like a chord broken down and instead of strumming the notes you pick them individually. They are mostly octaves to. For instant, a C major arpeggio is just a C chord brought down to its octave down below the twelfth fret and instead of chording it, walk it down one by one. ARPEGGIO BITCHES!

Theyre the most fun you can have on a guitar once you get the complex five strings mmmmm.
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
Wow, see from the responses...whenever most guitarists hear "arpeggio" they immediately think "sweeps"
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
an G arpeggio on bass look like this:
----------------------
---------------2-4-5 So this little riff can you play for each chord. But the first fret you play
-------2-3-5-------- is the "chord name".And you can play this riff in each variation.
-3-5-----------------
For example, an B arpeggio:
--------------1-3-4--- ------------1-3-4-3----------------
------1-2-4-----------or ----1----2-----------4-2-1-------- I hope you understand what I mean.
-2-4------------------ --2----4----------------------4-2--
----------------------- --------------------------------------
An arpeggio does not need to be affiliated with sweep picking, but for some reason, most guitarists don't think of an arpeggio beyond those bounds.

As has been said, it's individual notes in a chord being played one by one, not strummed.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
but if an arpeggio was not sweeped it would just be a regular chord wouldn't it?
Quote by malichi
but if an arpeggio was not sweeped it would just be a regular chord wouldn't it?

Chord = notes played harmonically or at the same time

Arpeggio = notes played melodically or not at the same time
but how would you use them if not in sweep picking? just picking each on individually
Quote by malichi
but how would you use them if not in sweep picking? just picking each on individually
yes
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Sweep picking appregios is considered the 'metal' way to do it. It's a popular move for a shredder really.

Put your hands into the shape of a chord. Any chord. Then pick the 3rd string, then the 5th string, then the 1st string. Congratulations, you've just done an appregio. Now do any other string combination. You've done it again. Now move to another chord and do it again. It's still an appregio.
Quote by KryptNet
Wow, see from the responses...whenever most guitarists hear "arpeggio" they immediately think "sweeps"

...one person mentioned sweeping in passing.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
...one person mentioned sweeping in passing.
do you know that I hate it when you're right?
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by malichi
"i use the sweep picking"/"you sweeps the pick" LOL dethklok rules

by the way just so you know there's a video on youtube i think. and swishgar is showing you how to play the solo for the duncan hills coffee jingle and that where i got that from