Page 1 of 2
Well, I started playing back in November of 2003 and joined UG in August of 2004. I've been here a while, and (like smb said) it's time to make a contribution and do a UROTM, finally. My gear has gone through a lot of changes and continues to change, but I feel that I'm really quite happy with what I've got now (which is unusual for me ). On with the festivities!

This is my rack. I just got the Mesa about a month ago; it's a 2001. I traded my Ampeg SVT-CL (which I wasn't really satisfied with) for it, and now I'm really glad I did. This thing is stunningly clean and transparent for a tube amp, but it still retains the tube authority, warmth, and punch. I replaced the preamp tubes with JJ's, and I use a JJ 12AU7 as a driver because it gives me much more clean headroom. Also contained in the Gator rack is a BBE Sonic Maximizer (which wakes up any tube head), a DBX 266XL (on which I only use a little compression), and a cheapo Furman Rackrider. Very near-future updates will include a Korg DTR-2000 and a better power conditioner.

My other amp is a Gallien-Krueger 800RB. The photo won't upload properly, but you can see it in my gear photos in my profile. It was made in December of 1988, the same month and year I was born . But it's fantastic amp; I used it live for a while until I got bigger guns, and now it's and awesome recording amp. For recording, I'd take it over the Mesa any day. It just grinds! Also, I can get a good growly DI signal from it as well. For breadbox-sized, high-power, high-quality amps, this little guy owns.

This is the fridge, the legend. Ampeg SVT-810E 8x10 cabinet. It's from 1991, works perfectly and sounds great, but it's just so beat up! This summer I plan on restoring it with an ozite covering and either a a new grill cloth or a metal grill. It'll be sharp, and I'll post pics when the job is complete. I never dug the vintage-whatever styling of Ampeg cabs, I like my stuff to look clean and elegant, but with a commanding and powerful presence.

This is bass #1, "Hildegard", my 1995 Warwick Fortress One 5-string, in Honey Violin. Early model with a 3-piece maple body and 5-piece Wenge neck. The flame is absolutely extraordinary and is very difficult to capture with my cheap digital camera. I found it at my local music shop- cold, alone, and abandoned by a guy that switched over to Rickenbackers. So I got a bit of a loan from the Bank of Dad and took her home, where he (a luthier and gunsmith) and I did some major cleaning to get her to really shine. In all, this is probably the coolest instrument I own, and every time I pick it up, I can't help but plunk out a 311 groove or two. She gets D'Addario XL nickel-plated steels strings.

This is me with my 1986 Music Man Stingray, "Sarah". Ash body w/ trans teal finish, flame maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. I bought it last summer as a graduation present to myself. She's got some mojo, but I love it. It's a pretty unique transitional-era bass, made under Leo Fender but mere weeks after Ernie Ball bought the company. Therefore, it's completely identical to an early 80's Stingray, but it's got a tiny "Ernie Ball" logo right above the Music Man label on the headstock. I photographed this in my gear photos, if you care to see. She is strung with year-old Ernie Ball Hybrids.

My 2006 American Series P-bass, "Captain Steve". This is Sarah's brother, as I purchased it two weeks after getting her. Alder body, with a graphite-reinforced maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. I got it new for $600, because GC was getting rid of all the Butterscotch Blonde-finished basses due to lack of sales. Bah! This thing is sexy! But yeah, it's P-bass. It does P-bass things, like being fat and thumpy. However, it sounds really modern for a P-bass; there really isn't any vintage factor to it at all (which I'm cool with). I string it with D'Addario Chromes or NPS strings, depending on what I want it to do. It's soon getting a Lindy Fralin pickup, but I've already altered it with a Badass III bridge.

This was my first real bass, "Chester". I got him brand new back in the summer of 2004. It's a MIM Standard Jazz Bass, but I've modded him up quite well. It was my main bass all throughout high school, and it served (and continues to serve) me very well. I've modified it with a tort pickguard, an original Badass I bridge (drilled the holes and all!), American pickups, and a vintage bone nut. I plan on changing the pickups to Lindy Fralins as soon as possible.

This is my pedalboard, which has severely downsized. In high school I had nearly 40 pedals. Some were rare and cool, like a Boss Harmonist and Tremolo-Pan, and my awesome Ibanez DE-7 with it's sound-bending capabilities. But alas, most are gone because now I seldom find the purpose for stompboxes. However, I do find plenty of use for my many chorus pedals, my Line 6 delay/looper, and my wahs. The one pedal missing from the picture is my extremely rare and valuable Boss DSD-2 delay, which is the same as the DD-2 but with a micro-looper and trigger functions in place of the Hold function. It's on loan to the guitarist of my band until his DD-6 gets replaced.

And there you have it friends! mountaindew88's entire bass setup, from start to finish. Thanks for taking a look, and I hope you enjoyed this most urotic urotm!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Mar 4, 2008,
Wow, fantastic setup!

I am still most jealous of your Stingray though
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Very very nice setup. That Mesa-Boogie has me very green with envy and the Stinger is lush; I agree with smb on the finish! Nice write up.
Thanks guys! does anyone know if mid-80's Stingray originally shipped with a clear pickguard? I'm thinking of replacing it with a black one (not to egg you on, Indie :p), but am not certain yet.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
not gonna lie i dsont really like the finish on the stinger specically with the pickguard the same

but still you are one lucky guy
thats some sweet gear there

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics
not gonna lie i dsont really like the finish on the stinger specically with the pickguard the same

but still you are one lucky guy
thats some sweet gear there

thanks! And I agree about the pickguard. It's getting a black one really soon. However, the current one is actually clear. It would look better with no pickguard at all, IMO, as the "clear" really distorts the visual appearance of the bass' grain in spots.
Quote by mountaindew88
thanks! And I agree about the pickguard. It's getting a black one really soon. However, the current one is actually clear. It would look better with no pickguard at all, IMO, as the "clear" really distorts the visual appearance of the bass' grain in spots.

ya man i wasnt sure about that but i took the pick guard off mine and it looks great..i also jsut left the screws in the empty screw holes so i thikn that gives it a certain uniqueness
i advise it

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by mountaindew88
Thanks guys! does anyone know if mid-80's Stingray originally shipped with a clear pickguard? I'm thinking of replacing it with a black one (not to egg you on, Indie :p), but am not certain yet.

I would say the clear pickguard is an aftermarket addition. Put that black one on there though and, my god, we've been through this many times...
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
mountaindew and anarkee - you're now both making me have bad thoughts. I'm trawling through pictures trying to decide what colour pickguard I would want if, hypothetically speaking, I blew next years student loan on a Stingray.
Quote by smb
mountaindew and anarkee - you're now both making me have bad thoughts. I'm trawling through pictures trying to decide what colour pickguard I would want if, hypothetically speaking, I blew next years student loan on a Stingray.

well, they won't quit making them.......................... or will they? yeah, who needs food and books when you can have FUNK!
ouch.... das smexy. It really matches your ATK!
Haha I suppose it does...anyway how do you manage with that rack setup - is it as heavy as it looks? Or is it a pretty convenient way of having everything?
It's actually not that bad! I can carry the fully loaded rack by myself without much discomfort. Surprisingly, my rack- fully loaded even with a borrowed DTR-1 tuner- weighs less than my old SVT-CL alone. That Ampeg was such a pain to move! I could do it solo, but it really hurt my back! wait, that was a little racey.... but anyway the rack is not hard to move.

Yeah, the SVT was obscenely heavy. The only reason I miss it- even a little- is because I bought it brand new as NOS from the local shop, and it was American. Pretty special, seeing as though I just did a 10-page English arguement paper on the outsourcing of Ampeg. But nonetheless, my Mesa beats it out in sound, size, and construction. And manufacturer integrity!! Nothing wrong with Ampeg, but Loud just pisses me off. Moving back on topic...

The one thing I'd like to do is upgrade from the rather frail Gator box to a nice, beefy ATA 12-space rack, with casters. I'd feel MUCH better about my gear being moved in that then my current 1/4 of plastic!
Quote by smb

Mountaindew, I really like the black pickguard myself--though the only draw back is that scratches are a bit noticeable over time.

and this thread needs to be stickied...
Fantastic stuff, naturally. However, you should have done a UROTM 2007-2008 and shown all 59 of your heads :P Shouldn't have left that pedal board out either!

But great stuff. Those graphite reinforced Fender necks are incredible. I played an American P and it just felt so solid.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Nice gear, bro. Glad to see someone else using all-tube amps . Maybe an idea for a club?
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
awesome awesome gear...not a huge fan of the butterscotch blond color on the P bass at all but for 300? who can say no?

very very cool
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
I love the colour of the P, and if the stingrays scratch plate is clear you should put a picture behind it.
Quote by kaptink
I love the colour of the P, and if the stingrays scratch plate is clear you should put a picture behind it.

Yeah. You should put MY picture behind it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Yeah. You should put MY picture behind it.

With what expression Fitz?
pedalboard pics shall be up soon!
Nice stuff you have there! I especially like the Warwick and the Stingray. I can't wait to see the pedalboard pics.
Quote by anarkee
With what expression Fitz?

Either somethign stern or my bottle chewing face - depending on how exactly mountaindew88 wants to repel the ladies!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i don't think it would fit! unless you cut off the head.
jk

or just cut off the body!

But man, this is all tempting me to get a clear PG for my Jazz and put a picture of my drummer underneath it...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
or just cut off the body!

But man, this is all tempting me to get a clear PG for my Jazz and put a picture of my drummer underneath it...

i'm thinkin' LCD full color display, then i could change my p-guard with a remote.

sorry to de-rail, Md88,
but really, you may have the best rig on UG Bass.
i'm so jealous!!
I love that Warwick, everything about it is just right: the color, the pickups, the neck, it's almost exactly what I would want in a bass.

I wish I could afford one.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Quote by thefitz
Fantastic stuff, naturally. However, you should have done a UROTM 2007-2008 and shown all 59 of your heads :P Shouldn't have left that pedal board out either!

But great stuff. Those graphite reinforced Fender necks are incredible. I played an American P and it just felt so solid.

But hey, out of all 59 (actually about seven) heads that I've owned, the only one I've been 100% happy with is the Mesa, and the only one I regret selling was my old SVT4-Pro/SVP-Pro combination. That thing screamed! I slightly regret the loss of my SVT Classic, because of the company's recent spiral into hell and the intrinsic/pathos value of the unit, but realistically, it wasn't that great of an amp. Too big, too muddy, too heavy, too slow, too colored. Funny, the SVT4-Pro with the SVP preamp was none of those things........

The pedalboard is in a disassembled state, so for time and simplicity, I'll just pile up my collection of pedals and take a picture. It'll be up soon as an edit to my original post. Thanks for mentioning it

EDIT: Here's the pedals. For a descriptive history, check what I've written in the original post.

Last edited by mountaindew88 at Mar 4, 2008,
Could you list all the pedals in some sort of order? That would be ace - just like your rig!

/lameness
Don't mean to hijack, but I created the club for all-tube bass amp users, and anyone in here (especially the TS with that mesa ) that owns one should join! Mountaindew88, what do you like about the mesa's tone over the ampeg's? I'm perfectly content with my SVT, I was just wondering what made you make the switch.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
mountaindew - is that a Morley Dual Bass Wah as well as a Bass Crybaby? How do the two compare?
Quote by Your41Plague12
Don't mean to hijack, but I created the club for all-tube bass amp users, and anyone in here (especially the TS with that mesa ) that owns one should join! Mountaindew88, what do you like about the mesa's tone over the ampeg's? I'm perfectly content with my SVT, I was just wondering what made you make the switch.

Both are fine amps with their own character. I actually really miss my SVT in retrospect, but I have absolutely no complaints about the 400+. With the Mesa's sound (with my 12AU7 mod), I can get just slightly more maximum volume than the SVT, and it stays extremely clean all the way up (due to the 12 cool-running 6L6s). It's a very responsive, hi-fi amp, and it's more flexible than the SVT due to the 7-band EQ.

The thing I loved about the SVT was it's sheer balls. It can't be replicated anywhere else. The SVT is just more organic and natural, as if it were a living breathing animal. It's the only amp I owned that I wasn't afraid to name

Funniest part of the story is that the guy I traded my Ampeg to politely asked me last week if I wanted to trade him back, because he owned the Mesa since it's "birth" and "misses it". This further tempted me, and I haven't passed judgement yet. This UROTM may change by the end of the month! If you've got any input on this, please PM me on your thoughts.

Quote by smb
mountaindew - is that a Morley Dual Bass Wah as well as a Bass Crybaby? How do the two compare?

No, that's a 1992 Morley Power Distortion Wah. And it totally blows. The distortion is almost non-existent, the wah is weak, and the volume barely functions. I would totally, beyond a doubt recommend the Bass Crybaby to anyone though. It's probably the best bass wah out there today, next to the MSD Earthquake. I'd ditch half my pedals for one of those!!
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Mar 5, 2008,
Page 1 of 2