I'm gonna buy approximately $1100 worth of equipment (a guitar, amp, and a pedal - all items they have in stock regularly) in a couple days and I'm thinking about offering the guy $850 cash. Is that too cheap? I don't really haggle a lot and I have stuff to trade in but something tells me I will lose out if I try to include it in the sale as opposed to trading it in later or selling it on ebay. Any thoughts?

EDIT: it's at Guitar Center if anyone was wondering.
I'm not sure they will let the equipment go for the price you want but there is no harm in trying to get the price down. The worst thing they can say is no so it's worth trying

cheers
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
In my experiance the most that guitar center will haggle down is the sales tax. As for trading it in, they do not have a very good exchange rate. Then again Ebay is a bit of a crap shoot. It's a difficult situation.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by sgboy666
I'm not sure they will let the equipment go for the price you want but there is no harm in trying to get the price down. The worst thing they can say is no so it's worth trying

cheers

+1 its always worth a try man
I breathe air.
just try it
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
most people dont think you can haggle in any shop but you can lol, give it a go.
ive heard they sometimes throw in cases if you haglle a bit. some friends of mine got some guitars that they haggled for but im not quite sure how much down. at least try
Start off with little over half of what he is asking and work your way up.

If he refuses just keep saying "Your busting my balls".
Just go as low as you can and keep going for ages. And then try the old "nah i'm gonna try somewhere else" Then if they say im not going any lower then thats the price for you.
yeah dude, in my experience you can haggle guitar center down quite a bit.
a friend of mine got a 2.5k Taylor for $1,999
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Go for it man! I got a guitar I wanted for £470 getting it down from £600, you got nothing to lose
Okay I'm going in either wednesday or thursday I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Be friendly about it, don't act like a prick about negotiating. Make jokes, and ask if they'll 'throw something in'. What sort of price is the pedal? If they don't want to lower the price of the guitar/amp, offer a bit less than they're asking, and try and get the pedal thrown in.

Nothing wrong with negotiating, but try and make them feel that they've gained from it...don't commit to buying the things, and then say 'will you take a bit off the price?' Ask how much it's going for, talk about the gear a bit, and then make an offer a bit lower than you think they'll accept.
that's way too cheap in my opinion...i would think you could get $200 off of it, maximum, and only if he's a really nice salesman
I got my guitar from $650 to $600.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I got two guitars for $600 instead of $1,000. At Cincinnati GC.

One was used though and I saw a few cosmetic things and they freaked out and lowered the price way down.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Offer you lowest price, if they dont like it, walk out. There are plenty of other stores. If they counter offer negotiate that.
You will get a good idea of how much they will go down.
Do your homework and price stuff on the internet.
This is what i do when buying a new car. I get up out of the chair and shake hands during the negotiations and tell thanks for the offer. They come back with a better deal real quick.
Just be firm.
Good luck! Let the Pit know how you did.
I saw a guy use a really good haggling strategy last night at work (GC). He came in and said "All I have on me is $225 cash, can I get a _____?". I forget what he ended up getting, but it was something that was like $275 originally, and they took off $50 for him. Try that out?
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Its simple walk into the shop with the frame of mind that you are interested in the guitar but not desprate for it, also give the impression to the shop owner that if they dont sell it to you you could easily walk straight to one of the competetors and buy it for cheaper. Remeber that you will have an advantage shops need to keep there stock selling or they makle nothing you will always have the power to walk away and dont forget that, and the last thing they want is for you to leave the shop empty handed. A few tips i can give is dont say how much money you have for example if there was a £400 guitar and you said you had £350 on you they will try and sell you a £350 guitar for full price instead. Just be carefull in the information you give and stay calm while your doing it. One more thing aswell if they say no dont be afraid to walk away, get a figure in mind that you would be happy to walk away with, offer them about 60% of the original price and work up to your figure. Good luck anyway. Hope this information helps.
IBANEZ RG350DX
IBANEZ S470DXQM BMB
EPIPHONE EXPLORER
MARSHALL AVT150
CRY BABY FX PEDAL