I'm thinking of buying one of these heads. I just need one to start with. Now I saw a recent ad in my location on craigslist for 300. It comes with the head and cab together.

Is it worth it? I have a really small tight budget and just need something small first, and maybe build onto something big. I can't spend too much as of right now but much later on I can get something better and maybe just keep the cab?

I'm looking to play the metalcore/hardcore genre mainly. I heard someone say with a pedal you can get pretty good tones out of it.

My guitar is a schecter c-1+ with emg 81/85's 85 in the bridge.

Opinions?
Last edited by Ryohazuki at Mar 3, 2008,
I guess for 300 it isnt bad, but by any means, this isnt a good amp, and also the marshall name doesn't do it justice.
I fixed my post

I can't spend too much as of right now but much later on I can get something better and maybe just keep the cab?

I'm looking to play the metalcore/hardcore genre mainly. I heard someone say with a pedal you can get pretty good tones out of it.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
It wont go anywhere near your genre. Nor will it have good gain. I don't know what to reccomend on the budget, but i can certainly say you're looking in the wrong direction
what about a peavey ultra 120 plus head for 450?
GEAR:
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
from Gabe's thread of great wisdom:
Valvestate series one (Chorus ones): Ok solid state amps. The cleans and chorus is pretty good, but the distortion isn't.

Valvestate series two Lifeless, dull sounding amps.
alright i'll throw away the idea of the valvestate 8100

I'm looking at a peavey ultra 120 plus now though any thing on that one?
GEAR:
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Thing is i'm looking for a head, not a combo.
GEAR:
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator