I have an american fender deluxe strat with a v shaped neck. The finish of the neck starting at around the 3rd fret for some reason is not as smooth as it is by the headstock. I was just wondering if there is a way to make the whole neck smooth? My friend plays a clapton strat with the exact same shape but for some reason his neck is really really fast and super smooth. What can i do to remedy this. Thanks.
depending on the type of finish and the amount and quality of finishing work that goes into it, you could have a 'fast' or a 'sticky' finish.

You could take it to a shop and ask them to clean up and polish the neck for you, this seems like the best option probably for you at this point.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
You could try sanding the neck with a high-grit sandpaper (1500+)
This would give you a smooth, satin finish
yeah its kind of a laquered finish, should i use anything other than the sandpaper and my hands to do it? As long as I am careful I won't damage the neck right?
no i dont think it is, i believe the satin finish is whats causing my hands to stick, im not too concerned about the value, just as long as it plays well
arite cool thanks a lot, ill give it a whirl, hopefully i won't mess it up