Poll: Do you use lots of distortion?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you use lots of distortion?
No, all clean.
4 5%
I use a bit.
14 18%
I use a lot.
36 47%
I'm a gain *****.
22 29%
Voters: 76.
Search bar gives nothing, so as the title states, how many of you play your scales, sweeps, ect. with some kind of high gain or distortion? This is simply more than a survey, I'm looking for some insight on advantages and disadvantages of it. We all know that it's more or less easier to play technical stuff with more gain. But wheres the limit? (this is not a rant) I see some people playing with so much gain that you can barely tell the notes apart. Also, if one were to teach sweep arpeggios or rapid scales, would they use distortion? I've been screwing around with my sound lately and found a decent tone which is not too distortiony, while I still don't have to press too hard to get the notes to sound out.

Now, you're all going to tell me: To a true virtuoso, the amount of gain doesnt matter, he or she can play it either way. I am not a true virtuoso.

How many of you use high gain and do you think if it's use in excess it's considered cheap?

Thanks.
the idea is that with gain it covers up any mistakes that you might make. it is always good to play on clean until you have it nailed so that you can learn it as cleanly as possible.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
^ Right, I play EVERYTHING clean...untill people are listening
To be the last one
who will sing you to sleep...

christie.FRONT.drive
Yeah, that's what I thought. Good answers lol. At least people know what I'm talking about. I use a cleanish crunch channel with gain at about 5 or 6. For solo work, dissonance is barely heard. Or I use a clean channel with gain all the way up. Theres barely any dissonance when I mix in a few chords into it. I also use chorus with those. It makes practice more fun. I can't stand the sound of a compressor, everything sounds so bland.
the idea is that with gain it covers up any mistakes that you might make. it is always good to play on clean until you have it nailed so that you can learn it as cleanly as possible.

Playing clean also covers up problems. For example, if you're not properly muting strings you'll get harmonics and string noise as you as you up the gain.

I'd say practice mainly clean, but every now and then play with different gain and tone levels to make sure it sounds alright.
i practise 1 hour clean , 2 hours crunch and then half an hour with overload distortion to see if i can play any better, then 2 hours and a half of writing music

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
About enough distortion to make palm muted notes go chugga-chugga. Sometimes I go all out though and max it out.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Trapman870

That is NOT the idea, at least not for me. I think clean shredding sounds very choppy no matter how cleanly you are playing, and a bit of good distortion adds smoothness to it. You are right about practicing clean, though.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I think in any situation there are no right or wrong answers.

For practice you should play clean to make sure it's clean and dirty to make sure you're not creating extraneous string noise and you're muting properly.

Playing in a song you should play with an amount of gain that sounds good for the song.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Sonicxlover
That is NOT the idea, at least not for me. I think clean shredding sounds very choppy no matter how cleanly you are playing, and a bit of good distortion adds smoothness to it. You are right about practicing clean, though.

You're doing it wrong.

I can easily get a nice smooth sound, you have to control your dynamics and make sure every note is fretted perfectly.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh I still feel cheap when I use lots of it. But, like when I really need it for something like diminished LEGATO string skipping. Come on. Mad legato stretches. I tried doing it with less gain and I can't get the Tap-Slides to sound AT ALL. So I guess use it where necessary.
Quote by one vision
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh I still feel cheap when I use lots of it. But, like when I really need it for something like diminished LEGATO string skipping. Come on. Mad legato stretches. I tried doing it with less gain and I can't get the Tap-Slides to sound AT ALL. So I guess use it where necessary.

+1 I use a moderate amount I suppose.
I use the same amount of gain as I use in everything else. I set it around 2 o' clock on the Metal Muff and have the amp on clean, any less than that and my tone sounds a bit empty, any more and it's just using gain for the sake of it.

Gain shouldn't be used to hide mistakes, it should be used to achieve a desired tone!

I practice with my guitar unplugged until my fingers know generally where to go and my picking hand knows what it's doing, then I plug in (using gain) and work at it until it sounds how I want it to sound.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
I'm in the middle. When I learn a new song, I play it slowly all clean. When I master it, I add in the distortion and other effects that the song calls for. If I'm working on writing a song, I'll just try it out with different effects and see what I like best.
Quote by Galvanise69
I actually find it really hard to make something sound decent distorted. I can rack out a few good tunes clean, but come to distorted, all the melodic sections fall to **** and sloppiness.

Thats why you need to practice both. Unless most of the music you play is clean.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Quote by ouchies
I do both, obviously, as everyone should.

+1.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I always practise my scales/arpeggios with distortion. Contrary to popular belief, it brings out your mistakes, especially if you accidentally hit an open string.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I do both. I don't think it's a good idea to always to it distorted OR clean all the time. I know someone who sounds fantastic on acoustic because that's all he ever plays but once he starts playing anything on electric with distortion is sounds like complete ****. And I also know people who are vice-versa.
-TheTrueAceOfSpades
They can both show mistakes. I practice mostly clean and push the gain up every now and then.
Both.

I tend to practice sweeps distorted, though, since the hardest thing for me when sweeping is muting. Apart from that, I do both.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
i practice my alt picking on distorted it just doesn't sound right on clean to me and my sweeps i do clean because sweeping is still a developing skill for me
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

I leave the distortion on max.... once in a while switch to clean...
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2