How could are mexican standard strats? I want a guitar for blues and clean type SRV stuff but i am wondering whether it is worth spending the money on a £300 fender standard strat or whether I should save a little (but the danger with me saving is that I end up just going for the Gibson Les Paul I have always wanted, even though I have a fairly decent copy now.

Basically, can the stock fender mexican strats get a decent SRV sound? Are the good? They seem pretty cheap, are they on the same level as an epiphone Les Paul standard in terms of quality? Any info on this guitar will be appreciated (or any links to previous related threads, i did use search but not only do people call them different things (strat rather than stratocaster, or MIM etc., but it also yeilded far too many irrelevant results!)

I'd put them a little ahead of Epiphones, but there are still plenty of duds.

They are a pretty decent guitar for the price if you're willing to play through a bunch of them and pick the winner.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
well id never buy online, so i can do that!! so you do get the odd good one then? what about the materials used, what makes them different and cheaper and how will this affect tone?
i think fender mexicans are great but i would try searching for a used fender american, save up a little, it will be worth it
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
its best if you can get the opportunity to try one out yourself.

its good to have other people's opinions, seriously it is, but it does all come down to how it plays for you personally as a guitarist.

so if you get the chance, try one out.

otherwise, mexican ones arnt bad, but try looking for an american one instead, it'll be more expensive though, but you should notice the difference.
“I feel the same way about disco, as I do about herpes” - Hunter S. Thompson
im pretty limited to 2 shops - unless by some random chance one turns up on ebay near me - and one of the shops doesnt deal second hand... i kind of stubbornly want a white one aswell :P i dont like colours of sunbursts on strats
You may also want to check out a Hagstrom F300.

I tend to like them more than the MIM strats that I've played.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Nightwatchman10
its best if you can get the opportunity to try one out yourself.

its good to have other people's opinions, seriously it is, but it does all come down to how it plays for you personally as a guitarist.

so if you get the chance, try one out.

oh i absolutely agree, but I like a "heads-up" on whether it is worth trying out first as it will cost me £30 train fare to go to a shop to try them
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
oh i absolutely agree, but I like a "heads-up" on whether it is worth trying out first as it will cost me £30 train fare to go to a shop to try them

haha alright man
“I feel the same way about disco, as I do about herpes” - Hunter S. Thompson
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
im pretty limited to 2 shops - unless by some random chance one turns up on ebay near me - and one of the shops doesnt deal second hand... i kind of stubbornly want a white one aswell :P i dont like colours of sunbursts on strats

when i went to the guitar center to buy mine, there was probably about 15 mim strats there haha. i played most of them and chose the one that sounded best to me. They're nice guitars for the price. Honestly i have no gripes with mine, it plays good and sounds good.

if you take the time to find the right one, it will not disappoint
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash