I've read through the FAQ for music theory and really tried to take it all in, but the scales and modes area seems a little vague, so I just would like to clarify a few things.

Let's use C as the parent scale, for the simplicity of the natural key, and I'd like to play in the Phrygian of C. That means I move up to to E as my root note (either open or 12th on the low E string) and use that particular box pattern, however it says that E has the same notes as the parent scale, C, it then goes to explain that the intervals are different.

Phrygian: 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

How can it share the same notes and have a flat second, third, sixth, and seventh? I might just be missing something, but any help would be great, thanks guys.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
C Db Eb F G Ab Bb is the final combination. You just compare C major scale to that mode thing
鋼の錬金術師
Quote by Punkismygod
1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
C Db Eb F G Ab Bb is the final combination. You just compare C major scale to that mode thing

So, basically, it shares a box pattern with C major, but beyond that changes to form its own scale and interval sequence within the key of E?
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Quote by Punkismygod
exactly! you got it

Thanks a lot man. It seems so simple, but I just had to make sure. That explains a lot, thanks again =]
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Just so you know (though this might confuse you) you will never use modes that way. Anything where you would use C major, you couldn't just say "I'm using E phrygian" instead. The more accurate designation is C major to C phrygian, which turn out to have completely different box shapes:

C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

C Db Eb F G Ab Bb C
1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8

Now, you also wouldn't use C phrygian in a C major song cause of different tonalities, but at least they're the same key. C ionian and E phrygian have nothing in common besides the same notes.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier