so, how can u find out what level you are playing at ?(noob, novice, intermediate, advanced....virtuoso?) i can use most advanced techniques like sweep picking so i wouldn't expect to be too bad, and would prolly feel more motivated if i knew i was actually getting somewhere heh...

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
so, how can u find out what level you are playing at ?(noob, novice, intermediate, advanced....virtuoso?) i can use most advanced techniques like sweep picking so i wouldn't expect to be too bad, and would prolly feel more motivated if i knew i was actually getting somewhere heh...

There are no definitions for these kinds of things. You can try taking RGT or rockschool courses, which will give you a grade level, but I have not tried these things and hence am unable to rate if they are worthwhile courses. Just keep learning new songs and you will get somewhere.
Quote by metallicafan616
i can use most advanced techniques like sweep picking so i wouldn't expect to be too bad,

That actually means nada. zero. nothing. Unless your goal is being able to
complete checklists.

The only measure worth a damn is playing something. A virtuoso player could
play something without using a single "advanced technique" and by listening you'd
know without a doubt it was virtuoso playing.
i'd say "the more(songs) you know, the more you are worth".What are your favorite bands? Learn their songs, make your own!
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
amp doesn't matter :P
Quote by edg
complete checklists.

play something without using a single "advanced technique" and by listening you'd

+ 4,985

i can't sweep, but it's not that important to me personally. i'm working on it but not as dilligently as i should maybe. compared to satch i'm sure i'm a novice, compared to the guy from greenday i'm sure i'm advanced. it's all relative and shouldn't really matter. remember, theres always ALWAYS someone out there WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than you (and prolly everyone else) why do you feel a need to label your ability?
i meant hows my technique then, and i know every song on hatebreeder, master of puppets, black album and quite alot of malmsteen songs....i can learn all of those quite easily except the solos ofc

Quote by metallicafan616
i meant hows my technique then, and i know every song on hatebreeder, master of puppets, black album and quite alot of malmsteen songs....i can learn all of those quite easily except the solos ofc

What exactly are you asking? Your definition of "knowing" those songs may not be
anyone else's. Why don't you get out a metronome or drum track, hit the record
button and play something you know to a beat. Upload it and Then we can all give
you a grade if that's what you want.
Well think of it like this: If you can play the solo in Dream Theater's "In the Name of God", then you are a virtuoso as far as I'm concerned. If not, give "No Boundaries" by Michael "Angelo" Batio a try. If you can play that, you are highly advanced. If not, I'd still consider you advanced if you can play sweeps with accuracy and speed.
Quote by edg
complete checklists.

Wow. I think that is the best, most succinct explanation I have ever heard regarding this. Kudos.
I hate how techniques such as sweep-picking are seen as the mark for a great guitarist. If I was an artist and I could draw faces really well, doestn't mean im a great artist, just means I can draw faces at the end of the day.

I personally believe that the make of a great guitarist is being able to play whatever is asked of them if needed. Do you play any other genres other than metal? Do you play them well? If you were a session guitarist and someone asked you to play in the style of bluegrass, jazz, hungarian folk music, etc, etc, would you be able to?

How about originallity? Do you feel that you bring something to the plate - so to speak - as a guitarist?

Techniques and being able to play songs may get you far but honestly, anyone can do that if they put they bother to learn.
Quote by Nesha Strah
i'd say "the more(songs) you know, the more you are worth".What are your favorite bands? Learn their songs, make your own!

what about composers a truly great musician writes their own music
Quote by metallicafan616

You know you are getting somewhere when you compare yourself and recognize your improvements over the time.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
even if you were to decide what "level" you are at, guitarists are in no way comparable. Whos better, Malmsteen or John Scofield? Jimi Hendrix or Segovia? you might be very good at playing metal, but that doesnt make you a good guitar player.
maybe we should break this up in categories like levels of playing in each genre haha
that might be better cuz there's so many different styles and whatnot.
what the hell is this thread. it's basically asking 'how do i know I'm good?'
well start a career, become the next beetoven, i don't know!
You play like you're advanced but you have the ego of a virtuoso. Based on those I'll rate you as a tool.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
i dont think im a virtuoso at all.....when i said (virtuoso?) i was JOKING..i think i could call that a flame. m30wc0w

^

If you want to see if you're improving, you should record yourself each month. Then you can hear your improvements (or not).
I can sweep pick, and I don't consider myself advanced. I've learned simply by looking at tabs on this site. I'd willingly trade my speed for theory knowledge, because I often get frustrated at my inablility to improvise and compose my own songs.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by metallicafan616

One of the indicators of no longer being at the "noob" level, is not having to ask questions like this.

seriously though, playing guitar isnt like a video game where you get "achievements" to let you know you've reached a certain level. There is no ranking system to tell you how you compare with the rest of the world. Playing guitar is personal, and you have to be the judge of whether its worth the effort or not. If achieving a certain "level" is your only means of motivation, guitar hero and rock band does offer that. If being able to play music is your motivation.... work towards that goal, and don't worry so much about what level your at. If your doing good... you'll know it because you'll be playing music and enjoying it for that reason alone.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 13, 2008,
Virtuoso is a lie. I suggest not striving for it, as you will probably be dissapointed. You could probably count a sad little number of virtuosos even throughout history. Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, Paganini, ect. A virtuoso is someone who's musical ability is flawless. Give him a piece of music he's never seen, he'll play it presto. If you're familliar with the history of some of these people, you'd know that their lives are very different from yours. They dedicate their whole life to music. Today, I'd say there ARE a few virtuosos in guitar. I'd consider Vai a virtuoso, Paul Gilbert, ect. But IMO they are not close to what the composers in classical music were.

So again, virtuosos, there's few of them out there. There's a huge difference between shredder and virtuoso. Maybe I'm wrong, and if this sounds a bit negative, it's because I was listening to Beethoven's moonlight sonata while writing. Kthxbai.
Composer and instrumentalist are 2 different things. Virtuosity is different
for each of them (although sometimes they are combined in the same person).

Why is it a lie? Not many reach that level, true, but there's probably more than you
think that you've never heard of. It certainly can't hurt to shoot for it. If you don't,
you definitely will never get there.