is there much of a difference between solid core vs stranded wire. i am wiring up some new pots and switches in my telecaster deluxe and i wanted to know if there were any benefits to using one over the other. any ideas?
They're both basically very similar electrically..

Just preference really.

Solid Core can snap if moved much, but is very easy to solder and it stays exactly where you put/bend it, allowing very neat wiring to be possible.

Stranded Core bends, so it can flex and doesn't snap. It's kinda easier to work with if pure neatness isn't what concerns you most, but it can be harder to thread through PCBs and pot lugs etc.

I prefer Solid, for the neat wiring personally. But neither is inferior to the other really, just preference of what you want.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i use stranded cuz im allways screwing with wiring
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
yeah i figured as much. i'll probably go with solid because i do like things a bit neater and since i dont tend to mess with the wiring that much i think i'll be ok. i just didnt know if there were any tonal differences but i'm sure there isnt.
There'll be absolutely no tonal difference.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
There'll be absolutely no tonal difference.

Tell that to Ken Fischer...
Quote by Invader Jim
I love solid core. Only problem is that the only place I know where to get it is from my vintage '50s-'70s test equipment...

Any place like Radio Shack should have solid core wire. The stranded is easy to find at automotive stores.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by mr_hankey
Tell that to Ken Fischer...
I would, but he hasn't responded to any of my e-mails since December '06.
Sorry, bad joke. Really bad joke.

R.i.p. Ken.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I would, but he hasn't responded to any of my e-mails since December '06.
Sorry, bad joke. Really bad joke.

R.i.p. Ken.

That was.....

...no, just...... no.
In a guitar there is no difference in tone. In an amp you are pushing more power through the wire and the energy moves through the solid core wire better which does change your tone. In a guitar I would never use solid. In pedals I probably would simply because it's easier to work with. In an amp you should always use solid core.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
In a guitar there is no difference in tone. In an amp you are pushing more power through the wire and the energy moves through the solid core wire better which does change your tone. In a guitar I would never use solid. In pedals I probably would simply because it's easier to work with. In an amp you should always use solid core.

I was under the impression that stranded actually worked better due to the electricity being carried mostly on the outer surface of the wire and the stranded had more surface area and therefore more conductivity/ ease of electrical flow
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
^ thats just what i was told by this guy from the netherlands whose an ee and runs some electrical company, my father's friends with him and i was at his house helping him w/ something and he told me that...i assumed he knew what he was talking about
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Quote by mercinariesgtr
I was under the impression that stranded actually worked better due to the electricity being carried mostly on the outer surface of the wire and the stranded had more surface area and therefore more conductivity/ ease of electrical flow
That is absolutely true.

... at radio frequencies.
MegaHertz and higher. At audio frequencies, no.
It's called the skin effect.
I haven't googled it, but there's probably something to be found, that way.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by mercinariesgtr

True, but lower frequency stuff runs through larger solid wire better while higher frequency stuff runs through the stranded wire better. Unfortunatly, too many of the frequencies we don't want flow very easily through the stranded wire while frequencies we do want are blocked. So although electricity as a whole will flow better through stranded, the musical energy that we want will flow better through solid.
Not taking any online orders.