So I'm building a new computer because my desktop=fried now. I think I know my compatibility stuff but I have no clue about anything to do with CD drives, will a DVD-RW drive be able to read, burn, and rewrite DVD's and CD's or what? I'm really confused with this subject . Also if you could help me with build, give tips, etc. PM me, thanks.
Start with a mobo and processor, then get some ram, a box, a power supply, a fan, a hard drive, a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse.

First find your motherboard. Then find the Ram and processor that fit in it. Then find a box that will fit your motherboard. Then place a power supply, a fan, and a hard drive in the box. Then you want to find a keyboard, monitor and mouse.

While searching for a new motherboard, look to see which are compatable with good video cards, and also make sure it is a motherboard that can be upgraded once the finances become available (hence, no PCI mobos).
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." - Samuel Langhornne Clemens
how much are you willing to spend and what do you plan on using the computer for?, so i can help you choose the parts that fits your needs and budget.
Well my budget would be up to $800 may spring for a bit more... maybe. I'd use it for gaming not intensive though if it runs a game mid-low settings with minor lag I'm stoked . Well I've got a build kind of and I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboards, and speakers (though I'm getting surround sound soon ) and here it is (but any tips or suggestions or help at all would be great):
1.Rosewill R6422-P SL Black/ Silver SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
2.GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
3.Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail
4.Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
5.pqi POWER Series 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model MAD42GUOE - Retail (x2)
6.HIS Hightech H155F512N-R Radeon X1550 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
7.SIIG IC-510012 5.1 Channels PCI Interface SoundWave 5.1 PCI Surround Sound Card - OEM
8.Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
9.VANTEC SP-FC70-BL 70mm PCI Slot Case Cooler - Retail
10.ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T OEM - OEM
11.SPARKLE ATX-300GT ATX 300W Power Supply - OEM

Grand total (with shipping and taxes): $770.04

Doing all this at newegg.com .
seems like a solid list but ill make soem slight changes, and also dont get a cheap power supply trust me, that sparkle is horrible
heres an updated list for your budget.

case: same one you picked.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

CPU: same one you picked.

Ram: G.Skill 2GB DDR2-800 (pc2-6400)

Hard drive: same one you picked.

Graphics: Evga Geforce 7600GT 256MB

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1

Power Supply: FSP Group 450W PSU

CD Drive : SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA

Operating system: Same one you picked

The little Vantec fan isnt needed trust me, it dosent even cool well.

All from Newegg too

Grand total: $735.90 (not including shipping as i dont know your zip lol)

Hope You like this setup
Last edited by bigevil89 at Mar 3, 2008,
Get a 64-bit version of windows vista rather than 32 bit, its more stable.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Not really , there realy isnt a big improvement in stability or performance choosing 64bit over 32, SOme programs do benefit from 64 bit But not many. actually i recommend choosing XP over Vista at the moment as Vista Still has alot of flaws. and XP will give you the best performance out of your setup.
Quote by bigevil89
Not really , there realy isnt a big improvement in stability or performance choosing 64bit over 32, actually i recommend choosing XP over Vista at the moment as Vista Still has alot of flaws. and XP will give you the best performance out of your setup.

Do you even have Vista 64 bit? It has never crashed for me since I installed it. XP on the other hand crashes all the time.

Oh, and i'm going to suggest you get a 8600 graphics card rather than an out of date 7600. (they arent much more since 7600s are out of production)
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
actualy yes i have tried both 64 and 32 i had few problems but still its not a noticable difference in performance between both versions of vista, and as for XP ive been running rock solid with it for a long time, with out doing any tweaks. and its less of a resource hog than vista . as for the Graphics card, you are correct i overlooked the price of the 8600 gt so id get this one instead of what i mentioned before Evga Geforce 8600 GT 256 MB

P.S. Seems the 8600 GT is also on sale for 69.99 after rebate
Last edited by bigevil89 at Mar 3, 2008,