So, recently my friend bought some cheap Ibanez GIO from our local music store, I played it, and fell in love with Ibanez. I'd play them at the store, but not too much, so I never got into it. But I traded him my Epi Les Paul Studio (I've grown to hate LP's), for the GIO and $70. Now, I've been looking around and decided on getting a new Ibanez, and for the money I have available (about $460), it's my favorite. I like everything I've read about it, and find the transparent blue finish simply stunning. Now, the downside is, I've heard so many bad things about the trem on it. So I come to you, asking if there is any other good option (that is an Ibanez) for around the same, that could, in the long run, do me better. I play mainly metal (just metal in general) and some hard rock, and as I've said, my max for the guitar itself is about $460. My dad said he'd pay for some new pick ups though, so I was looking at Seymour Duncans (don't want any actives if I go with a model with a middle, single coil pick up). So, any suggestions on a guitar/pick up combos? Thanks ahead of time and sorry for the lengthy post.
Hey, for the pups, if you get an ibby, usually people like to put Dimarzios in them, they sound really good with the basswood body. Try to avoid the edge 3, try getting a fixed bridge if you can't afford more, or, look into used 550's or 570's, i just recently got one, and its amazing.
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
What about the Ibanez RG3EXQM1's? They seem to be just as good, and no Edge 3. And cheaper too. No sick blue finish, but whatever. Any key differences?
There are similar fixed bridge RG's available, so you could look for those.

The older RG5XX and up guitars are Japanese made and have great trems.

By the way, as nice as new pickups can be, just stick with the stock ones for a while, especially if you haven't got a great amp yet.

Quote by dragxthexwaters
What about the Ibanez RG3EXQM1's? They seem to be just as good, and no Edge 3. And cheaper too. No sick blue finish, but whatever. Any key differences?

That would be a good option.

The build quality is equal to the one you listed, the neck is great and you don't have to deal with the hassle of a trem.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 3, 2008,