Page 1 of 2
I've been playing for roughly 6 months and i currently have a crappy crappy crappy "Gear4music" £60 guitar/amp combo. Its awful.

Now i reckon im pretty decent but not great. But i want to get a better guitar and amp which will hopefully improve my willingless to learn, and ability to sound good.

First of all its the decison of getting a guitar. Obviously it will take me time to get the money for it, so any purchases our 6 months down the line.

I've been looking at Squire Tele's. Are they good? Whats their sound like? Etc. I'll be getting it in Blonde a la my Icon Jeff Buckley (thats if i do get the Squier) Or shall i safe up for longer, and buy a £300+ proper Fender Tele. Or are there any other guitars any of you could recommend me, i also quite like the Les Paul style.

Now amps. My current guitar i would rate about 3/10, but my amp gets a dismal 0/10. So i've been looking at the Roland Cube amps i think there called. They look pretty good but a bit expensive. I just need a good amp to practice with, and it must have a headphone connection...

I would be really grateful for any help i get.

Cheers

I dont have any at the moment, but its a question of saving up my money through jobs etc. To get it, so i'll have to wait, as explained in the post
Get the amp first

Just try out gear and compare the sounds. Try a Squier Tele compared to Fender one and see if you think the £150 or so is worth it, and get which one you prefer. And also try out different guitars in the price range you are willing to have.

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
dont get a squier, youll regret it.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
Alot of people have squiers on here though, i swear there decent for a learner.

Also some more help with the Amps- as that is what i'm going to get first. That IBanez one is too expensive for the wattage it looks like.
Jeff Buckley

R.I.P
Roland Cube 30?

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Check this amp out. Don't be put off by Harley Benton's cheap-o guitars, these valve amp combos that they make are great. 15 watts valve is WAY louder and 100 times better sounding than any solid state you would probably ever be considering. An absolute bargain at £113. You'll get nice tones that will suit your Jeff Buckley aspirations, from Hallelujah to the heavier stuff that he done.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga15.htm

Keep in mind that an amp is always going to improve your sound more than a new guitar.

I actually have a Squier Telecaster at the moment, it is an absolute joy to play, but they can be hit and miss. I played a nice Affinity Tele Special the other week, that was better than most Mexican Telecasters I've playede so go figure.

My Squier has all the classic Tele tone. The bridge has plenty of twang when clean, jangle when light overdrive is applied, to all out crunch and snarl a la Led Zeppelin or AC/DC. Although famous for the bridge pickup, my Tele has a sweet neck pickup which is as nice sounding as many a Stratocasters. Great for Hendrix and Chilli Peppers stuff, as well as Mr Buckley.

If you are interested in a Squier Tele, I would cut you a good deal on mine - PM me or something!

Good luck with your shopping, and I would implore you to go for the Harley Benton amp.
Cheers greggy dude that amp looks pretty good. Ill check some more reviews of it. So i should probably go to a guitar shop and have a play of a Squier Tele before i buy one... Its got to be blonde though
Jeff Buckley

R.I.P
Quote by LilacWine
I've been playing for roughly 6 months and i currently have a crappy crappy crappy "Gear4music" £60 guitar/amp combo. Its awful.

Now i reckon im pretty decent but not great. But i want to get a better guitar and amp which will hopefully improve my willingless to learn, and ability to sound good.

First of all its the decison of getting a guitar. Obviously it will take me time to get the money for it, so any purchases our 6 months down the line.

I've been looking at Squire Tele's. Are they good? Whats their sound like? Etc. I'll be getting it in Blonde a la my Icon Jeff Buckley (thats if i do get the Squier) Or shall i safe up for longer, and buy a £300+ proper Fender Tele. Or are there any other guitars any of you could recommend me, i also quite like the Les Paul style.

Now amps. My current guitar i would rate about 3/10, but my amp gets a dismal 0/10. So i've been looking at the Roland Cube amps i think there called. They look pretty good but a bit expensive. I just need a good amp to practice with, and it must have a headphone connection...

I would be really grateful for any help i get.

Cheers

Dude, you have a LOT to learn about amps

The Roland Cubes are about as cheap as you can get without being completely sucky, although the Vox Valvetronix series is more your style. To be honest for your stuff you'd ideally want a small tube amp but tubes and headphones don't go together.

Definitely get an amp first, the guitar can wait.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What amp do you recommend steven seagull. Of course a headphone socket is not a nessecity if the amp is really good. My budget is about £150
Jeff Buckley

R.I.P
Quote by LilacWine
Cheers greggy dude that amp looks pretty good. Ill check some more reviews of it. So i should probably go to a guitar shop and have a play of a Squier Tele before i buy one... Its got to be blonde though

Well, my one has a fair bit of the finish sanded off! You could buy it, sand it, and refinish it in blonde!

EDIT: Bear in mind the price of the GA15 compared to a Cube. 15 watts all tube for less than £115! The amp is the same as an Epiphone valve Standard but it has a different exterior. That is essentially the only difference apart from onboard reverb, but with the money you save you can buy a Holy Grail.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Mar 3, 2008,
Quote by LilacWine
What amp do you recommend steven seagull. Of course a headphone socket is not a nessecity if the amp is really good. My budget is about £150

The GA15 is well worth a look, the Valvetronixes are very good for what they are but you can't beat tubes for the kind of tone you're looking for.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What are the Roland Cube amps like?

And some advice on guitar, even though i will purchase this much later on.
Jeff Buckley

R.I.P
Come on guys and gals I need som help... I haven't got any advice on the guitar yet :p
Jeff Buckley

R.I.P
The Cubes are some of the best solid state amps available. I would only rate the Vox Valvetronix line higher.

As far as guitar goes, you're shopping by look. You need to be shopping by sound and feel first, then look. Go to a shop and play everything you think looks good, see how it sounds and feels, and... act accordingly.

That said, I do not recommend Squier. SX from rondomusic.com costs far less, and the Tele and Strat copies are about on-par quality wise to the Fender MIMs(low end).

BTW, stop double and triple posting. You'll get baninated.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

ok sorey I'm a bit of a forum n00b! What does SX stand for
Jeff Buckley

R.I.P
I have no clue... sorry.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

I heartily recommend the vox valvetronix series, they have a fantastic sound for a fantastic price.
coincidentally (lol) I am selling my AD30VT. its about 18 months old, with some minor cosmetic damage on the top corner from where it toppled out of my car once. Other than that its in perfect condition, and I'm including a VFS2 footswitch which I bought for an extra £30
£115, could hold onto it for a few months till you have the money if you are definatley interested.

Also, tele wise, I can say that some of the squiers are good quality, in my experience the fender mexican series are much better but dont limit yourself to these 2 companies. some companies like Tokai make some pretty awesome tele copys that are much better than the mexican ones at a better price, just shop around.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Is that amp good for playing more soft rock stuff like Jeff Buckley. I want an amp which has a really good clean channel
Jeff Buckley

R.I.P
I would recommend yamaha pacifica of some sort. I've found these to be great for beginners and beyond.

One of my first guitars was a Squire Strat. It was perfectly fine, though cant recommend pacificas enough.
They seem like good guitars but i really like the tele style. I really want one with a metal pickguard, in honey blonde, and one which sounds good.
Jeff Buckley

R.I.P
Quote by LilacWine
They seem like good guitars but i really like the tele style. I really want one with a metal pickguard, in honey blonde, and one which sounds good.

Then get an MIM Tele and put a metal pickguard on it.

Quote by LilacWine
Is the Roland microcube good?

It's alright for what it is.

Stop double posting.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Aren't the MIM Tele's a bit too good for me, i've only been playing 6 months...

And do you recommend an amp

And sorry about the double posting
Jeff Buckley

R.I.P
Quote by LilacWine

And sorry about the double posting

Don't apologize, just stop doing it.

It doesn't matter how long you play, gear is gear.

The Vox Valvetronix that was previously recommended or a Cube will be alright.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by LilacWine

MIM Fenders vary by store, I have 2 regular stores I visit and at one of them the MIM's frets could draw blood. At the other store they are as slick (or better - sorry) as the MIA models that go for $600 more here in the US. So - the only real way for you to judge these recommendations is to go play them and see how the ones at your store are. You have a lot to try from the above posts. Your opinion matters most in the end, it's your fingers!

As far as the small amps, I have tried both the Roland 15 (yesterday) and a small Valvetronic Vox. The Roland was great once you added in a good effect pedal, the Vox kicked with no need for a pedal. But it's your budget, time frame and at the end of the day - fingers and ears. Try them out along with the other amps, I prefer tube amps as well to non-tube.

Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Start by reading up on Solid State vs Tube amps. After you've decided on what kind of amp that will fit your needs best, then start thinking about different models.

As for the guitar... You seem to really want a blond Tele, so get one! If you think your guitar is sexy you're more likely to want to pick it up and play it imo. Check out the Squier Tele Affinity series if you're low on cash. I know Squiers are bashed quite alot here on UG, but on Telecaster.com everyone seems to think highly of the Affinity Tele (considering it's price of course - no one is comparing it to an american). Try a couple of them out, you might find a keeper.
Just get a cube they can make even a crappy guitar better with the modelling system.
Mate i try to play Jeff Buckley style, i.e Soft Tones with little distortion
Jeff Buckley

R.I.P
Quote by LilacWine
Mate i try to play Jeff Buckley style, i.e Soft Tones with little distortion

Heres a Vox demo for you-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-99PT9Jl0

And for guitars, just look at various Fenders, it seems thats your best bet. Fender strats start from about £350 I believe. Best thing to do is just go to a shop and play everything in sight!
Page 1 of 2