so i have this terrible old silvertone guitar. but i feel like i could use it as a beater whenever i need to. for some reason i feel like the pickups are adjusted incorrectly because the guitar gets a lot of feedback and squeeks when i play it with high gain, and that shouldnt really happen because they are humbuckers. how can i tell if the pickups are adjusted right. and what do i do to lower the action?

im okay with doing this all myself as i dont ever use this guitar, but id like to try and fix it.

cheers
Quote by sidvicious182
so i have this terrible old silvertone guitar. but i feel like i could use it as a beater whenever i need to. for some reason i feel like the pickups are adjusted incorrectly because the guitar gets a lot of feedback and squeeks when i play it with high gain, and that shouldnt really happen because they are humbuckers. how can i tell if the pickups are adjusted right. and what do i do to lower the action?

im okay with doing this all myself as i dont ever use this guitar, but id like to try and fix it.

cheers
Feedback has nothing to do with pickup height. It's about a pickup problem called microphonics.

Google: potting pickups

There are dozens of sites that explain the process.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Pickup height...er, changes the height of the pickup relative to the strings. Closer = more tone, but too close and the magnets dampen the strings and stop them vibrating freely. Bloody physics, getting in the way as usual.

As for the action, that's usually very small allen keys on the bridge saddles, or the entire bridge itself depending on the style of guitar. Project Guitar is the best place to look.

As for pickup potting, it's a pretty simple process but isn't worth the effort unless you intend to regularly play the guitar at high volumes.