Alright, I just can't stand the horrible G-Dec I have right now. I'm just a hobbyist who plays in my room or with other guitarist friends, so I'm looking at a tube amp about $200. I like to play blues-rock stuff like SRV and Hendrix, and i might play Eric Johnson kind of stuff every once in a while. Mostly bluesier stuff like SRV and Hendrix. But then on the other hand, I also like to play Classic rock and 80's stuff, like AC/DC, ZZ top, Van Halen, Dokken, Guns n' roses,Especially Def Leppard and Bon Jovi, ETC. I also like to play a little of the Darkness, if anyone's heard of them. Not that heard of where I am- The name makes people falsely assume SO much about the band's music. I don't really play any heavy metal stuff.

I'm thinking get a tube amp that can cover the bluesier and cleaner side of the spectrum, and then use an OD pedal/Tubescreamer for the other side.

Narrowed it down to 4 choices:
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Fender Champ 600
Peavey Valveking(5 watt)
Crate V5(Leaning more towards the others)

I've heard good things about all of them, but not really anything about the Crate V5, that's why I'm not so sure about it. Can't seem to find these amps in any local stores(none in stock, that is), so any suggestions?
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
I would definantly like to get that, but I don't have much of a source for cash. Very, very slow. I might have an oppurtunity for some extra cash in a few weeks, So I'd definantly get either that or the vibrochamp. But that's just hopefully.

Any suggestions for $200 and below prices?
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
I'd probably go with the VJ. There's so many mods out there you can make it pretty much sound however you want for a little more if you wanted to.

And to The Darkness, awesome band!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

And to The Darkness, awesome band!

+1

They were bringing back a good music sound. Too bad they split up.

But yeah, like I said, I might do stuff like that If I get extra cash. Modding, that is.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Not to sound like a complete prick (Im afraid i will tho, so here goes) but cant you get a job or something? And if u have one, if u work extra hours for a month im sure you can get some more dough. An amp will last you for a couple of years, so i reckon waiting for a month might be useful.
Option B. Sell your old one, or put an ad on the post-it board in ur closest guitar shop or something.

P.S. (I dont have a great deal of experience with valve amps, but my intuition tells me that 1 for 200$ will be quite crappy.)
VJ. And The Darkenss is pretty well known. They played them quite a bit on Fuse and MTV a few years ago.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Gabel
Neither!

Blackheart Little Giant would be a better choice!

QFT
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Gabel
Neither!

Blackheart Little Giant would be a better choice!

I agree (obviously!)

The other amps, especially the Champ 600 are great, but the Blackheart is more versatile, and has a better sized speaker.