I'm getting a new metal guitar soon and I think these look cool as hell. I really don't know anything about them though and I've never even played one. If I got it I'd more than likely put emgs in it.

Any thoughts? Good metal riffing guitar?

http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_explorer_76.htm

the best for riffing, i wouldnt say leads but theres nothin like a nice explorer, i want one after i get my amp
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Dude I Would Say A Razorack Or The Explorer Or The Warbeast
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
my advice would be if you are planning to get an explorer to put EMG's in, you may as well go for one of the ESP models that already have them in. Would probably play better too

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ex.html
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
my advice would be if you are planning to get an explorer to put EMG's in, you may as well go for one of the ESP models that already have them in. Would probably play better too

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ex.html

Is there a relationship between those ESP's and Gibson Explorers? Would they sound/feel similar?

get an Ibanez, those are always sick, and great for metal, or a Dean, specically the Razorback
Quote by Witch-king
Is there a relationship between those ESP's and Gibson Explorers? Would they sound/feel similar?

They look similar but they felt very different to me. I like the ESP one better but thats just me.
Quote by RATM forever
get an Ibanez, those are always sick, and great for metal, or a Dean, specically the Razorback

I already have an Ibanez RG1570. I like it but the floyd rose is starting to piss me off and I just want a solid metal riffing guitar. Razorbacks are way too flashy for me, even though they look sexy as hell.

Go for the Explorer!
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
The Explorer is an awesome metal guitar. one of the best out there. I had one a while ago, but I sold it because it didn't have 7 strings
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
The Explorer is an awesome metal guitar. one of the best out there. I had one a while ago, but I sold it because it didn't have 7 strings

you actually had one, that's cool. What model was it? Active/passive pickups? I'm used to a really fast, thin neck on my ibanez, is the neck a lot thicker?

I'd say go with the ESP, already comes with EMG's and is better for metal imho.
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

i own a cherry gibson explorer and it's awesome. Thinner neck than a les paul and has a great metal sound. with the neck pickup it also has beautful cleans and is great for blues too.
I definately reccomend you get one.
Quote by SOADwannabe
I'd say go with the ESP, already comes with EMG's and is better for metal imho.

But the Esp isn't as good looking as the Gibson. I like the Gibson better, but it's more down to preferances than anything else.

Quote by Witch-king
you actually had one, that's cool. What model was it? Active/passive pickups? I'm used to a really fast, thin neck on my ibanez, is the neck a lot thicker?

a 76' Explorer with stock pups. The neck is really slim and comfortable and is actually very good for lead playing. It's fret acces is good too.

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Yeah unless your playing HEAVY metal the stock pickups would probably be a better choice then emg's. The stock pickups are much more versatile.
The Gibsons are great models depending on the year. However, their pickups generally need to be upgraded. If you're on a budget The ESP LTD or Jackson Kelly models are great explorer units. Otherwise, if you have the cash, go ESP or get a decent second hand Gibson Explorer circa 1979 or so and drop some hot pickups (Seymore Duncan Invader for the bridge & sh4 for the neck) in it as well as locking tuners ie Sperzel (highly recommended).
BC
gentlemen, the stock pups are NOT bad for metal. If you aren't really into this EMG-thing, there is no need to change'em.

and as ^^ said, they are more versatile

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball