Page 1 of 3
Ok, cutting it short, I want to take at least one science for A-Level.

Unfortunately, I'm unclear as to which one might be the best choice for the future; I'm at an equal level with each one (which is just under an A grade) and wish to be a journalist when older, specifically in politics and current affairs.

Any thoughts on the matter? Which science did you take? Reasons?

Thanks
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
physics, for me it was more interesting that the others and should you decide to change your future prospects it gives you a good grounding in both science and maths.
+1 on physics, good course
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Physics is pretty sweet honestly. I take AP Physics C which is the equivalent of a 200 level College physics course and it is really interesting. If your physics is anything like mine be prepared to work!
Ok, so I have to admit I've been starting to lean towards physics recently, so thanks guys for the help so far.

Would physics compliment my other subjects just as much as chemistry or biology might?

1. English
2. History
3. Psychology
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
I'm currently doing all 3 sciences.

I'm at AS, and I can honestly say that the most interesting so far is Physics, the hardest Chemistry, the worst to remember is Biology.

Think on that as you will...

Edit: Since you want to do Political Journalism, wouldn't Politics be a good choice?

Or Law?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by hellbound_jonny
Ok, so I have to admit I've been starting to lean towards physics recently, so thanks guys for the help so far.

Would physics compliment my other subjects just as much as chemistry or biology might?

1. English
2. History
3. Psychology

It doesn't complement it as such but they arn't bad A-levels to take although if your good at maths, I'd swap out psychology for it. Maths is much more respectable than psychology is but it is defiantly one of the hardest A-levels
Physics all the way.

AS Chemistry and Physics are both fantastic though.

AS Biology is terribly tedious and dull.
Oh George... Oh George.

That Texas education must've fucked you up when you very small.

Too true, Roger. Too True.
I plan on taking chemisty next year (am in yr 11), purely for the fact that Biology is not very useful, Physics can be a bit hard on the brain thinking on massive/minute scales, and I generally enjoy Chem the most. I am taking Product Design as my main career idea so a knowledge of materials and how they work is a good thing i think for me
Quote by mustaineNslash
i know this sounds stupid but...
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

Quote by Nutter_101

Edit: Since you want to do Political Journalism, wouldn't Politics be a good choice?

Or Law?

This would be the obvious choice, but my school simply doesn't supply these subjects and I'm not prepared to risk a move.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
I wouldn't take politics or law tbh, if your applying to a law course at uni the university will advise against taking it as an A-level and to take somthing more useful such as english
I took Chemistry, Physics and Biology... Maths at AS ... and History to A2 as well...
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Hmmmm... Well, my friend is going into Barristry, and they like Drama.

However, in your situation - English Literature or Modern History might also be good ideas for you?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Rocking-Rob
I wouldn't take politics or law tbh, if your applying to a law course at uni the university will advise against taking it as an A-level and to take somthing more useful such as english

Exactly, as we were told, English and History are not only more respectable sciences but increase our chances of studying further subjects such as, like you said, law or politics.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Biology is lame to the max. Sooo glad I ditched that.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
With Physics, I'd recommend you make sure the teacher is capable of teaching well. My old Physics teacher didn't even have a degree in physics, but accounting instead. Needless to say, I got a U.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by rich_sg
Biology is lame to the max. Sooo glad I ditched that.

Apparently biology is the easiest subject out of the three?

Edit: To smb, I think I've made it clear that I am clearly capable of getting an A in a chosen science if necessary, which brings me back to the question I posed at the start.

If I know what science I want to pursue further, this simply allows me to concentrate on that chosen subject and, therefore, boost that grade even further.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Last edited by hellbound_jonny at Mar 3, 2008,
+1 to physics, it's by far the best science (I'm taking it at university, so it's not like I'm biased or anything...)

To be honest there isn't really any need to pick complimentary subject at A level - if anything you want to get a good range of subjects, to show you are a well rounded student. And that way if you do change your mind about what you want to do, the chances are you'll be doing something that will benefit you whatever you decide you want to do.
Physics is the most interesting of the three from a general point of view, but it can be pretty tricky if the teaching is not up to scratch. Plus, it is made more difficult if you don't do A level maths, or at least if weren't pretty on top of things at GSCE for maths. A2 is getting to be impossible if you don't do A level maths.
Chemistry was my favourite, but it probably is the hardest.
Biology is probably slightly less relevant and a lot less interesting than physics. I found bits of it boring as hell and bits of it moderately interesting. I think it'd be the most relevant to journalism and fit with your other subjects best though, and it was also the easiest - you just have to remember facts, there are no difficult concepts or anything.

Go for physics if you want something interesting and your prepared to maths it up some. Go for biology if you want something easier and more relevant to your other subjects and your future job. Chemistry is awesome though.

EDIT: kind of contradicted myself there. Forget the bit about biology not being relevant. It is relevant, just dull in places.
Although I'd love to say physics, being an engineer, I'd advise you to go with chemistry. If you're looking for something that gives you a solid grounding in analytical methods, then take chemistry. And here's the kicker that nobody else in this thread has mentioned so far... the A level most requested by employers is...Thats right. Chemistry. You can get into physics or biology at university if you don't have either of those subjects (at least in the UK). I know its a bastard of a subject to take, but if you stick with it, it will be a very rewarding a level in terms of employability. OTOH, if you decide that a physics based course is your thing, then take that and I strongly recommend maths as well. A lot of people get scared of a level maths but it is very easy if you do it the right way and british schools just teach it in a **** way. I won't go into it here, but if you need help, then I'd advise talking to ucas or a careers advisor or summat.
I think you'd be wasting your time if you want to be a journalist. I still think if you're not getting As at GCSE (which really are incredibly easy) then you shouldn't be considering taking it at A-level.
Geology
Psychology
or conventional sciences I only do chem and bio. Biology is the largest jump from GCSE in any subject apparently.
I did all of them. Physics is fine but you really need to be good at maths. Biology is pretty dull for most of it but the easiest. Chemistry is hard but probably the most fun. Chemistry's quite a good one to do for people who aren't interested in pursuing science but are still good at it.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
well wat d'ya wana study in uni?

if u wana go into medical stuff.. Biology

if u wana go into chemicals/some types of engineerin... Chemistry

if u wana be a stargazer/other types of engineer... Physics.

I'm still in year 10 in high school... but ima take all 3 sciences.. even though i wana be a heart surgeon... i still love chemistry and physics
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I take Physics, it's very interesting. It's a varied course, (assuming you study the same one as me) where we learn about Quantum Mechanics, basically the building of atoms, and how they effect each other. Then there's electricity, which speaks for itself and mechanics, which is the classic "a train sets off from so and so... how long does it take to arrive" which is my personal favourite.

And besides, if you take Physics, you can make fun of those who took the other "fake" sciences .
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Take Physics if you are good at maths. There are people in my Physics class who do nothing because they don't understand and are crap at maths.
We ain't pushing the boundaries, we're blowing them up.
We ain't trying to expand the scene, we want the scene to erupt.

Quote by Cal UK
I take Physics, it's very interesting. It's a varied course, (assuming you study the same one as me) where we learn about Quantum Mechanics, basically the building of atoms, and how they effect each other. Then there's electricity, which speaks for itself and mechanics, which is the classic "a train sets off from so and so... how long does it take to arrive" which is my personal favourite.

And besides, if you take Physics, you can make fun of those who took the other "fake" sciences .

*Affect.

And you actually enjoy mechanics? It's better than learning about electricity but then so is tazering yourself in the bollocks.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
well people who only take one don't realy enjoy it as much as those who take 2 or 3. If you're taking maths then do physics as they go well together, but as a stand alone science biology is prob best as it doesn't tie in as much with other subjects.
Quote by Trefellin
I got into a fight with Handel once, he baroque my nose.

Quote by leeb rocks
Seth Govans your guitar teacher? God. am I jealous.
Sociology might help being a journalist, and that's almost a science ain't it? (Social science?)

But after watching Steven Hawking last night, physics looks well interesting.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
For the love of God don't pick the one you think is easiest just because...

I don't have much to add without being too opinionated so I'll agree with Meths and Hobolad.
Quote by Hobolad

That show was really interesting, the special effects were shit though.
We ain't pushing the boundaries, we're blowing them up.
We ain't trying to expand the scene, we want the scene to erupt.

Quote by tommo619
That show was really interesting, the special effects were shit though.

Damn I missed it, is it worth watching on 4OD?
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
well wat d'ya wana study in uni?

if u wana go into medical stuff.. Biology

if u wana go into chemicals/some types of engineerin... Chemistry

if u wana be a stargazer/other types of engineer... Physics.

I'm still in year 10 in high school... but ima take all 3 sciences.. even though i wana be a heart surgeon... i still love chemistry and physics

Physics allows you to do alot more things than beign a astronomer or a engineer, its a very sought after degree in the buisness world due to the data handeling and problem solving
Quote by Hobolad
Sociology might help being a journalist, and that's almost a science ain't it? (Social science?)

It would be if you did the stuff Stephen Hawking covered. Instead you mostly do boring physics. Interesting stuff is too hard for most people to cover in much detail. They cover a lot more interesting stuff in A2. And you get to do research projects where you can pick something interesting.

Oscar Wilde
Page 1 of 3