i screwed my nut up because i put bassier strings on my electric, and now the string guides are too big.
i had my on my d on my g. a on my d, etc...

now i want regular strings again and i can't put em on because my nuts all screwed up(lol). How do i replace the thing?
first, you buy a new one, I recommend bone, or graphite if tuning issues are your problem

then, you take an exacto-knife, and just cut it off, there's usually a thin layer of glue
then glue the new one on.
you might need to sand it down a bit, so it's the same height as the old one.

finger an F minor 7 chord, and if it's impossible to fret, the nut is too high.
go to the graphtech website to find out how to install a nut. get a preslotted tusq nut for easier installing.

^u really shouldn't use an exacto-knife. i think u mean to cut off the old nut, but u can use a flat head screwdriver and slowly tap it out.

the graphtech site explains the nut height in depth too. nut relief should be around 0.01" or something.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
go to the graphtech website to find out how to install a nut. get a preslotted tusq nut for easier installing.

^u really shouldn't use an exacto-knife. i think u mean to cut off the old nut, but u can use a flat head screwdriver and slowly tap it out.

the graphtech site explains the nut height in depth too. nut relief should be around 0.01" or something.

That little screwdriver thing is what I do. I recently flipped my whole guitar, and loaned it to a friend who is a lefty. And I had to take off the nut(no pun intended)

You don't have to use all your viking powers to take it off, just tap gently
Quote by ECistheBest

*stabs* J/k

the exacto-knife this is for something like i needed to do. My epiphone had a thin layer of paint over the "crap nut" on the side, If i would of went to tap it off it would of actually taken some of the headstock paint off. So I took a razor knife of mine, and resteded it on the nut and did a thin cut acrossed it. So when i taped it off the paint didnt' follow.