Well you just listed an expensive Les Paul, a low end fender, and a piece of crap Epiphone. I'm pretty sure a Gibson Les Paul Standard would be best...

Unless you meant the Epi Les Paul Standard, which would still be better than a Strat for metal. The Sg Special doesn't even come close to the other two, though.
Quote by sashki
SG special sucks. If you're gonna get an SG-shape, get the G-400 instead. I'd recommend that for metal above both of the others, actually.

+1 A normal G-400 would be better for metal than a Les Paul standard, but that's probably just my opinion.
epi SG isnt bad with a decent bridge pup

but you wont have monumental fret access
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Hmm, Mexican strats arent bad, I own one and its awesome. Has plenty of rich tone with all its pickup positions, and I lowered the action a little bit and its perfect for metal. I havent played the other two that much, although Im thinking Les Pauls and SGs are more rock orientated, although kirk hammett uses a les paul sometimes on stage, but for songs like fade to black, so maybe if its really fast, i dont think a les paul would suit you.

My choice would be a strat, iron maiden use them =P That says something.
I own a 2000 Epi Les Paul Standard Plustop. It is a nice guitar for the money. I had to replace the bridge pup with a DiMarzio Air Norton for a better tone, and less feedback. It worked beautifully!! The Epi LP is now a hard rock machine, but with some variety of tones. The Air Norton is a good all-around pickup due to the fact that it is hot, but not TOO hot. It has great harmonics and depth.
I also own a 1996 Fender Stratocaster Standard Fat Strat. It is also a great guitar for the money. The HSS pickup set-up has a wide variety of tones, and is great for many styles due to the mix of singles and humbucker.
If hard rock/metal is your style, I think the Epi LP with a nice Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio, or even EMG hot pickup is the way to go. If you want a tremelo, well, the Strat HSS is the obvious choice.
I think the Epi SG is okay, but a little on the cheap side, as far as tone and look. Just my opinion!!
1966 Harmony H-14 Bobkat
1974 Ibanez Les Paul Custom 2350
1980 Ibanez BL-300NT Blazer
1987 Fender Stratocaster 72' RI Pink Paisley
1990 Fender HM Strat
1996 Fender Stratocaster Fat Strat
1998 Epiphone Sheraton II
if you mean gibson sg special then I would go for that one..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
well the epiphone sg special is not nice at all...but the epi les paul would be good or an epi g-400.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
yeah like I said an epi les paul standard or an epi g-400 would be nice. I have an epi g-400 and I love it.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
I agree with what's being said about the G-400. Just remember how annoyingly top heavy the SG shape tends to be.

Instead of the G-400, go for this beast...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-CustomEX-with-EMG-8185-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515622
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by fifer
well the epiphone sg special is not nice at all...but the epi les paul would be good or an epi g-400.

I have the Epi SG Special and I love it, I think it plays much better for metal than the LP. Yeah pickups aren't great but that can be changed. It plays better than a lot of other more expensive guitars I've tried.
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
well I think it all depends on the amp you were playing those expencive guitars...I have an epi les paul special II and I dont like it much, and comparing it to my g-400 it doesnt really get close...but yeah its all opinion..
Quote by RetroGunslinger