Yes, i am planning on buying a small recording, jamming, can crank in the house, amp. I was reading some of the review of this amp in HC (http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Crate/Palomino+8+Combo/10/1) and some reviewers say something in the line:

"it does have a line out that serves as a Direct Out recording jack or use a send/receive cable ($15 bucks) and its an effects loops"

So does that mean i can connect it there? I like my GT-8 in the fx loop of my Peavey Classic 50 so i was hopping i can do this to my Palomino v8.

Which of this cable should i use?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-3-5mm-Dual-1-4--Y-Cable-101172559-i1166742.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-Stereo-3-5mm-Male-Stereo-1-4--Phone-Cable-102975919-i1166744.gc

If this is the wrong method, tell me
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Last edited by angeldef at Mar 3, 2008,
bad links man
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
I fixed them... sorry man
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Yeah, you use a Y cable. Connect the root plug into the 'line out port', the left plug into the input of your first effect, then connect as many other cables you want to daisy chain your effects, and at the output of the final FX in the chain, connect the right port from the Y cable.
Dang, that's kind of confusing

I have a GT-8, it has fx send and return, and mono to stereo plug thing.

Can you elaborate more in a simple manner
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Last edited by angeldef at Mar 3, 2008,
Make sure you get a stereo y cable. Just put the one cable side into the amp and it shouldn't matter where you put the other two ends of the y as long as one goes into the send and one into the return of the GT-8.
^ thanx guys, i will try this out when i get my Palomino. Can't wait men
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by yoyodunno
Make sure you get a stereo y cable. Just put the one cable side into the amp and it shouldn't matter where you put the other two ends of the y as long as one goes into the send and one into the return of the GT-8.
This is bad advice. Both sides of the Y are outputs. You don't feed an output into an output.
Quote by Guitar Eater
Yeah, you use a Y cable. Connect the root plug into the 'line out port', the left plug into the input of your first effect, then connect as many other cables you want to daisy chain your effects, and at the output of the final FX in the chain, connect the right port from the Y cable.
More nutty advice. The output of the chain does not go into the "line out".

Sounds like this is a variation on the 4CM. Feed your guitar into the GT-8. The GT-8 send into the amp input, then one of the line out 1/4 jacks into the GT-8 recv. Tape up the other 1/4 jack so it doesn't short. You will get the tones of the amp, but you won't get the FX of the GT-8 playing through the amp. So I question why do this at all.

The first link was bad so I couldn't reference the original thread.
^ fixed, ohh so u think the other to are wrong..hmmm.
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by angeldef
Anyone that says stick the output of one device into the output of another is wrong. Feel free to hook it up the way the others described. I have no stake in this.
Quote by angeldef
Ok, I read the original line. You don't want to use the line out for the GT-8. Almost certainly the FX loop on that amp does not use an 1/8" connector. That's for the line out. So those cables you linked are not the correct cables. You want standard instruments cable. Two of them. Then you use the 4CM to hook up the GT-8. Look it up, but basically its....

Guitar -> GT-8 in
GT-8 send -> Amp in
Amp FX send -> GT-8 Recv
GT-8 out -> Amp FX recv

Edit: I meant two 1/4 cables in addition to the two you are already using with the GT-8. Total = 4, hence "4 Cable Method" (4CM)
The palomino lacks the effects loop tho (at least I think so). So 'tis a bit difficult to use the 4 cable method.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
The palomino lacks the effects loop tho (at least I think so). So 'tis a bit difficult to use the 4 cable method.
After looking I'd say you are right. I based my comment on a quote from HC reviews that claimed it had one.

The bottom line is that you could use the line out for a bit of pseudo 4CM trickery solely to record the tone from the Palomino V8 via the GT-8 output or SPDIF. But it's not that great of an idea IMO. So the final answer to the OP is no you cannot do the same thing with the V8 as you do with your C50.
^that suck

But i will still try IMO

Hope it doesn't blow
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Last edited by angeldef at Mar 4, 2008,
Ask two string on his gt-8 thread.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Just do what I do and put distortion pedals in the GT-8 loop. I don't use the amp models or distortion box sims at all. I record from the SPDIF and it sounds great.
Quote by fly135
This is bad advice. Both sides of the Y are outputs. You don't feed an output into an output.

If you think i'm giving bad advice go RTFM. Damn..

The line out is not only a line out it is also a send and return loop with a stereo cable.
I guess ur just partially ignorant according to ur sig.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by yoyodunno
If you think i'm giving bad advice go RTFM. Damn..

The line out is not only a line out it is also a send and return loop with a stereo cable.
I guess ur just partially ignorant according to ur sig.
Sorry, but I can't verify this claim with info online. None of the web sites I found selling the amp mention anything other than a line out. I checked the crateamps.com website and there is no mention of the Palomino V8 and no manuals are available for download. You may be right, but you'l have to at least provide a link to substantiate your assertion.

edit: I just noticed that you have the amp listed in your sig. Given that you have it and presumably the manual, then I'll take your word for it if you just post the line in the manual that describes the line out jack. At the very min it should tell you which parts of the jack are in and out. For example tip=out, ring=in.
Last edited by fly135 at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by yoyodunno
Even though you have the amp I'm having a hard time believing this could be true. If it doesn't matter which jack is in and which is out, the amp would have to be auto-sensing. This would be unusual wrt anything I've ever seen.
^wow, thanx man, it can happen
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
The online stores are doing a huge disservice to that amp by showing that jack as a line out instead of a line out\FX loop.
Yeah definitely, and the prices are so low on them on gc but i guess that might be the quality now that they're made in vietnam.

And i wish i could've found that cable before, cause when i got the amp i accidentally got a mono, to 2 mono split instead of the stereo which was a dumb waste of 20 bucks..

oh and angeldef, if you want to crank the amp in the house get some earplugs? I just got some and cranked my xxx halfway volume and full gain and it was awesome lol.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Mar 6, 2008,
^thanx man, very very much

oh and fly135, thanx too, now i can do 4cm with those cable nice
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
If I hadn't already bought a Peavey Classic 30 I'd get one of these. I especially like the gain control and 10" speaker. Most of the other 5W combos lack the gain and have 8" speakers.

I don't need the FX loop as much although it's nice to have. I use a different 4CM type hookup on mine. I run distortion pedals and a tube preamp in the loop of my GT-8 and then go into the front of the amp. Sounds great even when I was using my Epi Vjr head and combo. Here's my hookup...

Here's the loop switch pedal I made...

Before I wired it...
^wow, nice. Your pretty handy with electronics

How about this one? Someone recommended me this:

Guitar---> Boss GT8 guitar input
Boss GT8 FX loop send---> amplifier front input (not the fx loop in at the back of the amp!!!)
Amp FX send--->GT8 FX loop return
Boss GT8 Main out (left/mono speaker output)--->amp FX loop return

Would this work with the Palomino? What if i just want to put it in the amp mono plugging? What will happen to the other cord that its not being use? Should i get one of those that i need to plug a cable in instead of the ones with cable already?

Like this one?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-14MDual-14F-Y-Cable?sku=331080
Or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-TRSMDual-14F-Y-Cable?sku=331081
Or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-TRSMTRSF-Dual-Y-Cable?sku=331082
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Last edited by angeldef at Mar 7, 2008,
The second cable in your post is the correct one. It's similar to the one I posted except has females connectors. To be honest with you there is still some confusion in my mind about how this "line out" jack works. Here's why....

Normally a line out will not disrupt the output through the speaker. But this line out acts as an FX loop. So I wonder if you put a mono plug into the jack and use it as a line out, then the insert (return) part will be grounded. I'm wondering if this disrupts the signal to the power section of the amp.

The other way it might work is that the insert is mixed into the original signal so that if you use it as a 4CM hookup (as described in your post) then the part of the original signal coming from the amps preamp will be mixed with the output of the GT-8. This isn't what you would want unless you had a wet/dry mix control on the amp.

The fact that it's called line-out and insert leads me to think that it's intended to insert an audio signal to play along with. For example a drum machine or backing track from CD. However the manual gives the example of an FX loop.

The bottom line is that there is still a question in my mind about how this amp actually works wrt the line in jack. Maybe if you use a stereo plug then it acts as an FX loop, and if you use a mono plug it acts as a line-out. The manual is lacking in a full explanation of how it works. If this concerns you I would test it at the store or write an email to Crate customer service and try to get details.
^i will try it out in the store and probably write to crate. Thanx
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Yeah, fly135 i think ur right about the cable thing. It does disrupt the signal to the power amp if you are using it as a line out jack so it'll be quieter. The funny thing about my palomino is that I think the people at the factory wired something the opposite of what the line out should do like bypassing the power amp. See when i plug in a cable to the line out then the volume is actually what it should be, and the volume knob works. But with no cable the volume knob doesn't work and i don't get full volume and this only works with a stereo plug fully pushed in. Also I think there are two positions for the input, like you push the cable in, and then there's another position where you can push it farther and that i'm pretty sure is where you would have the line out function.
^nice, info...i will run down to GC tomorrow to check them out
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
I read the manual again and looked at the block diagram. The manual literally says this...

The line out jack is a stereo jack. If you plug in one the cables we've discussed (i.e. Stereo plug Y'd into 2 mono cables), then the output from the speaker should be quiet. And one of those two mono cables (the one wired to the tip of the stereo plug) will be an output. The other mono cable will feed the power amp and speaker. So it can be used in conjunction with the output to make an FX loop.

Normally from the diagram in the manual you should be able to use a mono cable to simply get an output to feed to a mixer board. The mono cable will short the return (fed to the power amp/speaker) to ground. In general this is a good thing because shorting the input of an amp to ground will make it quiet. But since they don't say that in the manual I would be hesitant to recommend it.

Also I would not recommend plugging the cable in part way. If you did this as an output it may work so that you get signal out and sound through the speaker at the same time. But I don't think it's designed to work this way. And if you did it as an input then you would have two outputs fighting each other.

yoyodunno, if you plug a stereo cable into the amp, then the amp should output no sound. So yeah, it does sound like something is screwy with your setup.

My conclusion is that the line out is simply an FX loop. Also note it's a live-level FX loop, not instrument level. Some stompbox pedals may not work as well at line-level. But you'll have to try that for yourself. The GT-8 will have no problem.
Quote by fly135

yoyodunno, if you plug a stereo cable into the amp, then the amp should output no sound. So yeah, it does sound like something is screwy with your setup.

My conclusion is that the line out is simply an FX loop. Also note it's a live-level FX loop, not instrument level. Some stompbox pedals may not work as well at line-level. But you'll have to try that for yourself. The GT-8 will have no problem.

Yeah, i think they did something backwards in my amp in regard to that jack lol. But still works fine. And I've used the line out as a line out to record from so far, the only thing i haven't done is use it as an efx loop since i have the wrong cable.
^wow, more info, but good thing that the GT-8 still work for it
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
im thinking of getting this exact combination, not copying i actually did it myself, and i was wondering overall, what cables i would need. Links would be nice.