ok, i just saw a thread on movie quotes in songs, and it reminded me, i want to make a starfox 64 tribute song, with the verses the samples of various lines from the game, with an instrumental chorus, then a solo. but i started wondering, is this legal? if i made it, could i post it or would that be plaigarism(sp?) help me!

EDIT: in that thread they said there might be a time limit, is this so, and if so what is the time limit?

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
50 years rings a bell.

I think it's ok as long as you don't profit off of it.

And if you do you've got to cough up some royalties
I think it's fine if you aren't planning to sell it.
Otherwise you might have to play royalties.
i'm not gonna sell it. i will just put it up for download on my myspace. this is gonna be epic. (or epic fail)

oh and yes, "do a barrell roll!" will most definitely be in there!

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
What these guys said. The royalty thingy ws reduced from 100 to 50 years awhile ago, and I don't think Starfox is 50 years old haha. And the royalties aren't gonna be like a fiver either.

Again, if you don't make money off it thn you'll be fine.
Well everybody posts music from other bands on youtube so I don't see why not, as long as you don't sell it. It's not like local cover bands pay royalties when they play other people's songs live, but if they made a CD of them for sale they'd get hit with some nice fines.
Pretty sure the limit for copyright is 75 years these days. They had some kerfuffle with all the Walt Disney songs starting to lose their copyright and become public domain, so they extended it.

Pretty sure they're also starting to get worried about Beatles songs and whatnot, so we'll how long they end up extending it for.

It wouldn't be plagiarism anyway, it would be a violation of copyright. I spose if you make it blatantly a "Starfox 64" song, then it should be alright. As long as you're not trying to profit off someone else's work.
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.
Quote by an epic mistake
oh and yes, "do a barrell roll!" will most definitely be in there!

good cause any new song with out "do a barrell roll" ain't a song o and see if you could work in seaking **** ya
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ