Alright, if and when I start gigging, I want to have the right gear.

I play mostly classic rock (60's-80's), folk, and country.

Here's a few examples of stuff I play:

Jefferson Airplane
Rolling Stones
Grateful Dead
David Bowie
Iggy Pop
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
CCR (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Niel Diamond
Rod Stewart
Bob Dylan
Woody Guthrie
Dwight Yokam (or however it's spelled)
Tray Lawrence
Big and Rich

as well as various one-hit wonders of the classic rock genres.

So here are the pedals I am looking to be using.

Boss Acoustic Sim
Boss Compressor/Sustainer (only because my amp's sustain ain't the best)
Amp's distortion channel (I also have a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion, if needed)
Chorus (Ibanez CS-9 or Uni-Vibe, not sure yet)
MXR Variphase (it's a foot-controlled phaser, like a wah except phaser.)
Rocktron Pulse Tremolo
Amp's reverb

Which would work better for the chorus a Uni-Vibe, DigiTech Multi-Chorus, or the CS-9, considering the stuff I play?
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
What kind of amp do you have? Some of that stuff may be totally wasted on a lackluster amp.

Also lack of sustain doesn't fall to the amp, it falls to your technique. Improve your technique to increase sustain.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Mar 3, 2008,
listen. purchase a univibe. a wah of some kind preferable a fulltone clyde or RMC picture, and a roger mayer classic or axis fuzz. and there we go
I only play rythm, so I'm not really going to need a wah or a fuzz box (too heavy for chords imo).

Also, Kevin Saale, I know for a fact it's my amp, a Fender Frontman 65W. Go ahead everyone flame me for not getting tube, OMG. <<< such is everyone's logic on here :rollseyes:

Anyway, would the rest be okay?

We love you. God Bless.
Err, whatever you say. I would suggest upgrading your amp before anything else. A classic 30 will eliminate the need for any kind of distortion/od and help your sustain (if you think the amp is the problem) It will be louder and sound better at higher volumes.
Dude, I'm not going to play ARENA's or anything. I don't NEED a high volume, 10 MEGA-WATT tube amp. I just need a decent SS for smaller gigs, (coffee shop, small clubs, etc.) There's always the PA if it ain't loud enough.

The amp sounded fine to me when I tried it except the sustain, everything else was perfect. I'm too lazy to do biasing and retubing so all you TUBEHEADS just shut up and leave me alone alright? Just accept that it's opinion, and drop it.

"GEEZE!"
- Napolean Dynamite

We love you. God Bless.
What's the point of all those effects if they're going to sound like ****? If you're a performer why not sound good? A classic 30 isn't uber loud and replacing and biasing tubes is not hard.

If you want to start with a bad amp then you might as well just and go buy behringer effects.
Quote by neptune1988
Dude, I'm not going to play ARENA's or anything. I don't NEED a high volume, 10 MEGA-WATT tube amp. I just need a decent SS for smaller gigs, (coffee shop, small clubs, etc.) There's always the PA if it ain't loud enough.

The amp sounded fine to me when I tried it except the sustain, everything else was perfect. I'm too lazy to do biasing and retubing so all you TUBEHEADS just shut up and leave me alone alright? Just accept that it's opinion, and drop it.

"GEEZE!"
- Napolean Dynamite

Noone has suggested you get a 100watt tube stack. A Peavey Classic 30 is perfect for your needs, it isn't a 10 MEGA-WATT amp as you say, if you don't want it too loud, turn the volume down, that's what the volume knob is for. You want a good sound for what you play don't you? Well that will get you it. As for retubing and biasing I'm a lazy prick aswell, I'm just taking mine to an amp tech in a few weeks to do it for me. As Kevin Saale said, if you are a performer why not sound good.
Just remember this my friend, noone here has to give you advice, we could do other things, we arent like the toothy salesman at your local guitar shop, we arent getting paid to recommend you certain things, here you are getting an honest perspective out of our spare time. If you don't want it don't ask for it.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Noone has suggested you get a 100watt tube stack. A Peavey Classic 30 is perfect for your needs, it isn't a 10 MEGA-WATT amp as you say, if you don't want it too loud, turn the volume down, that's what the volume knob is for. You want a good sound for what you play don't you? Well that will get you it. As for retubing and biasing I'm a lazy prick aswell, I'm just taking mine to an amp tech in a few weeks to do it for me. As Kevin Saale said, if you are a performer why not sound good.
Just remember this my friend, noone here has to give you advice, we could do other things, we arent like the toothy salesman at your local guitar shop, we arent getting paid to recommend you certain things, here you are getting an honest perspective out of our spare time. If you don't want it don't ask for it.

I don't think anybody has put it that well since I've been here, you sir are a genius.

To the TS: if you REALLY want to sound good, you should invest in a tube amp before those effects.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by neptune1988

So here are the pedals I am looking to be using.

Boss Acoustic Sim
Boss Compressor/Sustainer (only because my amp's sustain ain't the best)
Amp's distortion channel (I also have a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion, if needed)
Chorus (Ibanez CS-9 or Uni-Vibe, not sure yet)
MXR Variphase (it's a foot-controlled phaser, like a wah except phaser.)
Rocktron Pulse Tremolo
Amp's reverb

Which would work better for the chorus a Uni-Vibe, DigiTech Multi-Chorus, or the CS-9, considering the stuff I play?

Alrght, for 1:
The accoustic simulator sucks balls, atleast when i played it it did
as far as compression, i'd reccomend a MXR dynacomp.
Chorus, a TC electronics chorus/flanger is your best bet, a step below that is the MXR chorus, and then voodoo labs, and then the CE-5 by boss.
Ive never toyed with the variphase, so im not sure, but i know that i'd just rahter go for the MXR EVH phase 90.
You should go for one of those tube driven tremolos, they sound really nice, and can provide a nice extra flavor too.

And guys, im with him on the amp thing
The frontmans cleans really arent that bad, as long as he'll be using the clean channel exclusively. The reason why i say its fine, is because if all hes doing is coffee shop type things, theres really not that big of a difference between, SS amps dont sound that bad when your volume is only on 2, like his will be. If he was playing large gigs it would be a different story though. But i definitely suggest a tube amp in the future
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Mar 3, 2008,
TUBEHEADS can sit on an EL84 for all I care.

Quick where's the SS thread when you need it? LOL

SS as in Solid State, not Schutz Staffel.

Hm maybe I like SS because it's ambiguity.

Anyways, would these effects work ok on a tube?

We love you. God Bless.
They would work better since they have something decent to start with.
Quote by neptune1988
TUBEHEADS can sit on an EL84 for all I care.

Quick where's the SS thread when you need it? LOL

SS as in Solid State, not Schutz Staffel.

Hm maybe I like SS because it's ambiguity.

Anyways, would these effects work ok on a tube?

ok, we get that you dont want a tube amp forced upon you, but no need to insult.
You dont like SS, you just havent played tube, thats all.
And the effects will work better on a tube amp actually.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by thsrayas
I don't think anybody has put it that well since I've been here, you sir are a genius.

I think I might sig that. Not often I get praised lol.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch

I think I might sig that. Not often I get praised lol.

Yay! I got sigged, it's only for praising you, but oh well.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.