Whenever i see a head, i always see the basic treble-mid-bass-gain, but then there is reverb on a lot of them, as the only additional effect Why reverb? Of all the effects they could put on there, why reverb? Isnt it just another effect like phaser or delay? What makes it so special?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Because Reverb is very widely used in solos... Many just doesn't sound right without it.
Quote by sacamano79
Whenever i see a head, i always see the basic treble-mid-bass-gain, but then there is reverb on a lot of them, as the only additional effect Why reverb? Of all the effects they could put on there, why reverb? Isnt it just another effect like phaser or delay? What makes it so special?

You can get analog reverb straight from an amp, if it were phase or flange, it'd be DSP, and would sound like anuses, unless it was ridiculously good DSP.

Plus, reverb is such a staple for most guitar tones, it makes it sound fuller to me.
It's because a reverb effect can be easily built into an amp.
Also Reverb is what gives the guitar a more 'natural' sound.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
without reverb your guitar sounds gay
ez
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I can't believe you own a gibson sg standard and you dont know the answer to this question.
Quote by Nike-Man
I can't believe you own a gibson sg standard and you dont know the answer to this question.

i dont own a tube amp and have not done much research about them since i is broke
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
If you have ever played in a room packed with people you know how dead sounding it can be. Reverb livens the sound up and smoothes out the room acousics, giving the illusion of space. Sometimes a particular room is just dead sounding, even without crowds.
Reverb adds depth an ambience to your sound to make it seem more lively and realistic rather than plain and flat. he reason most amps have rever is because it is probably the most widely used, most important and useful of all the effects.
how would one know how much reverb is needed?
some times when you add to much it sounds to "airy" sounding
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
Yeah, crank up the reverb to sound like sex.
I know exactly what I think I'm doing.