Ok, let me explain my situation. I love music. I love the guitar (don't we all?). But, I don't want to try and make a living on music. I want to go into business (no comments on that, thanks). After I graduate with an MBA (what I'm going for) after a few years I would like to go back to school for a degree in music. Not to make a career out of (unless I retire early) but just for my own personal benefit and enjoyment.

But my question is, what are some common college electives that involve music? I would love to take some music classes while I take business classes, to keep me practicing and fresh etc.

I'm mainly wanting to know so I can make somewhat of a decision before I get to college on elective classes and I don't jump into something I don't like. So please with classes you have taken or you know is a common class give a tiny description.

If this is the wrong forum, please direct me to the correct one and I will move the topic, thanx in advance!

music appreciation? i dunno. i'm trying to do medicine, which doesn't leave any room for music , some schools may have history of rocknroll, etc.
Next year I'll be majoring in business and a minor in music composition.

I'll be taking part in multiple jazz ensembles and symphonic/concert bands, plus some composition classes.

I highly recommend getting really good at jazz guitar and just try to play in one of the ensembles or combos at the school, it's a great way to keep up your guitar skills and you get to meet a bunch of musicians that don't play guitar, which is very beneficial.

To get your theory going, just take Theory 101, which covers nothing much more than whats in the MT Sticky, but you'll get a ton of practice out of it for reading music.

Aural Skills helps train your ear. Learn to identify an interval and transcribe music by ear.
usually if it actually meets a general studies requirement you are going to have to take a music history class of some sort, maybe general music history, maybe jazz and blues, whatever. If you just want some open electives to fill up space and not meet any arts/humanities gen ed requirements then take whatever music classes you want.

pissed you asked for no comments on the MBA
Well, I've been studying constructive engineering for a while, with the idea in mind that after that I'd be good enough to study something with music and I'd always be able to fall back on the construction stuff. Of course, things didn't quite work out that way because constructive engineering is not the sort of study you just do, it takes a lot of commitment and I imagine most other courses or studies do aswell.

If you know of yourself that you've got the discipline to do stuff you don't really like, then you might be able to pull it off, but personally I feel like I've kinda wasted (well not entirely, I did learn a lot of course and I grew up quite a bit) the past few years because it's just not at all what I want to do with my life.

Right now I'm focusing fulltime on music and I absolutely love it. I was afraid I might not be disciplined enough to practice scales and do exercises and study theory etc. etc. but so far it's going really well. I'm looking at a course in Hilversum called Music Composition & Production, though the school there has many more.

Sorry if I've completely missed what you were asking, I'm not really familiar with other education styles than the Dutch one. Still, hope this helps
Many colleges or universities have various 'intro to music' type courses - generally involving theory, history, ear training, etc. As mentioned above, check with your college.

The University I went to had a basic open course like that, and also had a course in pop music, and a course in jazz history.

If you are genuinely musically inclined, though, consider this.... look through the course calendar and you might find that the requirements are something to the effect of "enrollment in the music program or permission from the department." Contact the department and see if you can take them! They might want a rudementary/informal audition, an interview, theory test, whatever - none, any, or all of the above. My first year of university, I didn't get into the music program but got into the Humanities program. Based on the strength of my audition, though, I got permission from the department to take most of my first year music courses anyways, on the speculation that I would audition the next year and get in.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.