ok so im using Ubuntu right now and i love it. but it cant do somethings i need to do (things only windows can do) and i dont want to mess with emulating XP.
so i decided to dual boot.
now the problem is, i cant get xp on my computer. i put the Xp boot disk in then shut down. then i reboot and it says "push any key to boot from disk" so i do and it just sits there forever with:

-

just one line (black screen with on blinking line thing.

wtf is the problem here?

thanks
UG's HIPPIE
Microsoft doesn't like Linux, and if you hard disk's MBR shows that it's botting GRUB or LILO, Windows refuses to start. Don't ask my why they did this, but if you want a Windows/Linux dual boot you need to install Windows first.

I'd recommend emulating Windows with VMWare, though. Put the crap where it belongs: Contained in a window, on your Linux desktop.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
i agree with the windows being BS....but still... i need some of their **** ....

and im pretty new to ubuntu... so how do i remove ubuntu so i can get XP then put ubuntu ontop of that?

edit: i looked up the VMware and its not free big problem........im poor
UG's HIPPIE
Quote by Muphin
Microsoft doesn't like Linux, and if you hard disk's MBR shows that it's botting GRUB or LILO, Windows refuses to start. Don't ask my why they did this, but if you want a Windows/Linux dual boot you need to install Windows first.

I'd recommend emulating Windows with VMWare, though. Put the crap where it belongs: Contained in a window, on your Linux desktop.

Woah... I can fix most computer problems and I built my own PC, but I had no clue what you said until you said "You have to you install Windows first."
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~
i agree with the windows being BS....but still... i need some of their **** ....

and im pretty new to ubuntu... so how do i remove ubuntu so i can get XP then put ubuntu ontop of that?

edit: i looked up the VMware and its not free big problem........im poor

Pssst. You might be able to find serial keys for it on bittorrent, but I dunno man, I might be wrong.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Masonpwiley
Woah... I can fix most computer problems and I built my own PC, but I had no clue what you said until you said "You have to you install Windows first."

]
i built my own computer too.... and can fix most WINDOWs problems execpt one: no matter how many upgrades you have....its still windows...its still BS

the GRUB stuff is Linux..not sure what it is....but it has to do with the Booting .... im still pretty new to Ubuntu
UG's HIPPIE
Quote by Muphin
Pssst. You might be able to find serial keys for it on bittorrent, but I dunno man, I might be wrong.

does "pssst" mean that you..i uh mean "Your friend" did this?
UG's HIPPIE
Quote by Masonpwiley

MBR = Master Boot Record.
It's the portion of your hard drive that tells your pc how to boot up, basically.

GRUB and LILO are two types of boot loaders, that start their respective os'.
GRUB is used for Ubuntu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~
does "pssst" mean that you..i uh mean "Your friend" did this?

Shhh, they're listening in.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I've never tried installing Windows after Ubuntu, but if the only option is to delete Ubuntu, then download an .iso image of GParted, Gnome Partition Editor. It's my favourite bootable partition editor and you'll just have to boot it up, delete your Ext3 partition, create 2 new partitions, partition the first NTFS and leave the other for now and then install windows.

I don't have any experience chainloading GRUB through NTLDR - windows xp's bootloader, but I have done it many times in Vista, so you'll have to search for that on google. And one more reminder. If you want to keep windows' NTLDR, make sure to install GRUB to the bootloader of the Ext3 partition, and then chainload. Either this or install GRUB on hd0,0 and then configure it to boot XP. But if you go with the former, MAKE SURE to install GRUB to hd0,1 - the second partition of your first hard drive. Hope that helps.
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~
oh...riiiight

but really.....how can i get ubuntu off to start over?

Get a Linux LiveCD (Knoppix, perhaps) and boot from it. From there you can format your hard disk. Then reboot with the Windows disk in.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
im off to try this...if i dont come back in a few...i f'd up my PC...

thanks
UG's HIPPIE