Hello everyone, longtime lurker, first post

After following the advice of many on this board, I picked up a Epiphone Les Paul Custom from Guitar Center on Saturday.

One word: WOW! What a fantastic sounding and looking guitar, I'm very happy with my purchase so far.

One issues though! I had heard the gold hardware (pickups, bridge,etc.) would start fading over time, I can deal with this. After playing tonight I had noticed the bridge pickup was already a MUCH lighter color of gold/silver from where my hand had been resting earlier today. Keep in mind I've only had the guitar for less than two whole days. Is this just varnish or something wearing off from being on the shelf under the stickers, or is the gold already stripping away.

Is this normal, should I contact GC for a new one? Is my hand sweat deadly acid ?

Thanks
please clarify for me...
your hand was on the actual pickup? or the bridge?
unless the hardware was some seriously fake stuff, that shouldn't happen...
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
It's normal. Epi uses the worse gold hardware I've seen. I had a guitar teacher's who had his for a little over a year and he said thats what happened after not having it too long. It adds to the charm imo once the guitar gets a bit more beat up.
Forgot to mention its the very edge of the pickup, the part that sticks out under the Low E. The fleshy side of my hand had been rubbing against it as I was working on a long solo today and muting the low E.

Probably bad etiquette =(
regardless of the cause of the discoloration, i strongly suggest you modify your technique to keep your hand from resting on the pickup. i don't think i've ever seen a guitarist do that, and i can't think of a reason you'd want to. it's probably hurting your picking technique and keeping you from improving.
My ESP/LTD EC-1000 gold bridge hardware is fading from Palm muting too, but this is after like, 6 months of owning and muting, and you're saying like, a few days? That's ****ed. ask them
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
my RR5 didn't have this problem until day ago and mind you i had this guitar for two years.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
thats epiphone for ya
Gear:

Esp Ltd DJ-600
Ibanez S520EX
Parker P 44 Pro
Traynor YCS100 Head
Traynor YCS412 cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD20
Boss GE-21
Ibanez TS7
EH Soul Preacher
BBE Sonix Maximizer 462 rack
Hmmm... I think I'm to blame I suppose. I was being sloppy and moving my hand forward in order to play faster. I suppose the side of my hand (or any part of my hand) for that matter was meant to come in contact with the pickup cover.

I'm getting the guitar setup tomorrow at a small local shop, I'll ask and see what he thinks about it fading so fast.

The first scratch/dent/imperfection is always the worst
it's not that bad, it adds charm i think. my schecter's bridge saddles are showing slight fade after a year and a half now
What would be cool is after a few years when you don't want to bridge anymore, just pound 6 rusty nails into the body and tie the strings to them as the bridge....

I think that would be gnarly, especially if it was still playable... but that's just me.....

Aside from my dreaming... don't worry about the gold finish, try polishing it a bit, I'm sure it's just a bit of tarnish.... and if it doesn't go away, I agree with everyone else.. it adds character.. And besides I don't think aged gold hardware looks bad at all...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
I mean I've been reading the forums for quite some time, but have not registered/posted before.

By that I guess I meant I was lurking without contributing to the message board
Quote by Reildeal
What would be cool is after a few years when you don't want to bridge anymore, just pound 6 rusty nails into the body and tie the strings to them as the bridge....

I think that would be gnarly, especially if it was still playable... but that's just me.....

You know, it would actually be cool to make a custom guitar like that. Maybe not having nails actually holding the strings in, but make it look that way. You could paint the guitar a rust color and make it look as though it's a hundred years old.
Anyone that pounds rusted nails into any guitar... For any reason...

Faded hardware does add character.
Quote by CJRocker
It's normal. Epi uses the worse gold hardware I've seen. I had a guitar teacher's who had his for a little over a year and he said thats what happened after not having it too long. It adds to the charm imo once the guitar gets a bit more beat up.
+1.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by -Rane-
You know, it would actually be cool to make a custom guitar like that. Maybe not having nails actually holding the strings in, but make it look that way. You could paint the guitar a rust color and make it look as though it's a hundred years old.

Yeah, the rust color would be killer! Some custome bridge work with a tailpiece of nails would be killer...

But believe me (to gregs) I wouldn't go pounding rusty nails into a guitar just for the hell of it..

Besides, nails can't be adjusted lol
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
Yeah, the rust color would be killer! Some custome bridge work with a tailpiece of nails would be killer...

But believe me (to gregs) I wouldn't go pounding rusty nails into a guitar just for the hell of it..

Besides, nails can't be adjusted lol

No, I wouldn't either.

Google found this:

This guitar looks awesome (or at least unique), but I'd never have the guts to cut up a perfectly good Jackson V. *Shudders*

http://www.carbonchamber.com/steampunk/villanizer.htm