Page 1 of 3
One of my long time friends and band mates recently was gifted a Traynor Mark 3 head. It is in great shape, and used to work until some idiot turned it on without the AC, and then ever since then it hasn't worked. So something must be wrong with it. What's wrong with it?

Anyway, we had never heard of the brand before, so I decided to look it up. Apparently they are essentially Marshall and Fender clones on the inside, and are apparently very good amps. Just a simple google searched revealed tons of pages devoted to them.

Anyway, we took it to several music shops today, but no one even tried to see what was wrong with it, they said we'd have to leave it there. We just wanted to know what's wrong with it.

Well anyway, my friend would much rather sell it and get a more modern amp, even if it has to be a solid state half stack, as it's just for practice and the occasional shows, and he's happy with the sounds that can be made. So, he really doesn't want this to turn into a debate on how tube amps are superior, and how he should keep it, etc..

So how much would it be to get the amp running again? Is it a problem with the tubes? They are the original Phillips tubes. Would he be better off restoring it, and then selling it? Or will it still get a good price as it is? I don't know much about classic tube amps, that's why I came here.

Thanks!
Thanks in advance.
Peace
Sell it to me. How much you want?
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Well, I know that a very bad condition head is at buy it now on eBay for 499. This one is cosmetically in great shape. It worked a week ago, until someone who didn't know how to work it, didn't turn the ac on, and then it stopped working. So that's what I'm trying to figure out what needs to be done. How much does it usually cost to fix such a problem?
Dunno. I could most likely fix it because I specialize in electronics. If your friend wants a more modern amp, let him buy it. I collect vintage amps, so I really want one to fix up. I would most likely only spend about 100 dollars for this amp, maybe less. I would have to judge it based on cosmetics and all that junk...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
are you kidding me? why would you sell it?!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Well if someone wants to buy it, my friend will consider selling it, but we're not idiots and we know how good this amp is. We're not going to be ripped off, as we've researched this amp and it has excellent reviews. We just want to get the most out of it, in order to buy a more modern amp.
Not a douchebag swindler. He just knows that either you guys sell it cheap and he fixes it or you pay big bucks to get it fixed and then make the same amount of profit. The amp is indeed good, but nothing super fantastic or spectacular. You would probably only get $500 for it after lots of money fixing it.
There is no reason for it to fail by being turned on without the power supply. Come on, you people are paranoid. Without the power supply, nothing will happen if you turn it on as there is no current. Check the fuses, as a power tube might of failed causing it to blow a fuse. I would also load new tubes.

BTW, I have a 70's Traynor YF-12... great amp cab.
Quote by Guitar Eater
dont listen to FLCLcowdude, he's obviously a douchebag swindler

Obviously I am a douchebag swindler... I am trying to say that I personally wouldn't pay more than 100 dollars. If he wanted to sell it to me for that much, that is awesome. But, it would be an act of stupidity on his part, not on mine...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by Steel8909
Traynor has a 2 year warrenty, even if you break it.

Sell it to me ill fix it
Well give me an offer, and we will consider. BTW, we would take pictures and everything first obviously.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Check the fuse and the tubes. Those are probably the culprit. If so, lucky you. It's an easy and cheap fix.

When you say without the Air Conditioner what do you mean? Were you using an AC to keep it running cool? Or did you mean with an AC on too int he room? If thats the case, try it in another outlet; I bet you tripped the circuit breaker for that room/outlet as it was drawing too many amps.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Obviously I am a douchebag swindler... I am trying to say that I personally wouldn't pay more than 100 dollars. If he wanted to sell it to me for that much, that is awesome. But, it would be an act of stupidity on his part, not on mine...

I agree in fact seeing as how you have no idea whats wrong with it you would probably have a hard time selling it for more than $250-$300 unless you sold it to a technician who knew what the problem was.. Traynor makes good amps but its not like having a vintage Marshall Plexi or a Dumble or something that you're going to make bank on. If I were you guys I would fix it up and keep it. Then save up and buy your modern amp.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
First of all what you don't realize, is I'm not talking about my homes air conditioner unit. The back of the amp has an AC switch which runs a fan to keep everything such as the tubes cool. You are supposed to turn it on before you turn on the amp. Someone who didn't know this played without the AC on. And we are planning on getting it fixed before we sell it, so someone won't just fix it themselves and then sell it for more.
Quote by fr33zing_m00n
First of all what you don't realize, is I'm not talking about my homes air conditioner unit. The back of the amp has an AC switch which runs a fan to keep everything such as the tubes cool. You are supposed to turn it on before you turn on the amp. Someone who didn't know this played without the AC on. And we are planning on getting it fixed before we sell it, so someone won't just fix it themselves and then sell it for more.

Oh, alright. I wasn't sure what exactly you mean. Hmm. As mentioned, try a fuse first, then the tubes. If that doesn't help, just sell it. (something I may join the bidding war on, as I would love to complete my YF12 stack)
Regardless, it is going to be sold, so my friend can get a more modern amp. This thing is very heavy. 100lbs. It's just not convenient, especially for the sound that he requires.
Last edited by fr33zing_m00n at Mar 3, 2008,
We are located in Indiana. The starting bid would at least be $525, considering it's in great cosmetic shape, and we're getting it fixed before we sell it. Right now, there is one on eBay in terrible cosmetic shape going for $500, so we don't think a starting bid of $525 is that far out of the league.
Quote by fr33zing_m00n
We are located in Indiana. The starting bid would at least be $525, considering it's in great cosmetic shape, and we're getting it fixed before we sell it. Right now, there is one on eBay in terrible cosmetic shape going for $500, so we don't think a starting bid of $525 is that far out of the league.

That one on ebay isn't that bad. I bet the most you guys can get is around $500 unless some absolute Traynor collector fanatic comes along.
Except the one on ebay works. A beat up but perfectly working vintage amp is worth a LOT more than one thats pristine but busted. I would say $300 if you get a fanatic. Having it fixed will hurt the value too, as something old thats broken once is likely to have something else go wrong too.
If the fuse is the problem, it will be less than a dollar for a new fuse. If it's the tubes, all of them can be replaced for under $100 EASILY.

As I already said, we are going to fix it before we sell it, so it would be a working amp in great cosmetic shape. It's not broken. It just needs a new fuse, and perhaps new tubes. Whatever it is, we are fixing it first. Like I said, if it does need new tubes, that's not that major of a problem, considering most amps need their tubes replaced, and like I said, it has the original Phillips tubes in it, from the 70's.
Last edited by fr33zing_m00n at Mar 3, 2008,
^^^^ Yup you are right... but it COULD be more then that.

Anyways my offer stands 225 broken and I will pay shipping to Canada.

Maybe get an estimate to get it fixed.

Oh yeah post some pics up
Quote by fr33zing_m00n
If the fuse is the problem, it will be less than a dollar for a new fuse. If it's the tubes, all of them can be replaced for under $100 EASILY.

4 decent power amps tube, plus at least 4 preamp tubes = damn near $100, plsu rebiasing. Even if it sold for $300, they would need to put at least $100 or a fair amount of time into it. There is a perfect condition working one on their for $499 right now. A COMBO version didn't even sell for $499, and the combos go for more. You're over valuing it because its vintage and you THINK you know what is wrong with it. Most people aren't going to pay more than $200 for it given it's broken and you aren't sure what is up with it, and even $200 is a gamble on something someone might not get their money back on after fixing. You have an offer for $225; my advice is to do it while you have an offer.
Quote by fr33zing_m00n
What no one seems to understand, is that we're getting it fixed regardless, before it is sold.

The problem is, its not going to be worth it for the small amount of money you're going to gain. In fact you may get more selling it as is rather than going through the hassle of getting it fixed. And even after you get ti fixed, you won't get full value for it.
What it seems to me, is you want us to sell it "broken" for a low price, so you can make an easy fix, and sell it for more.

Also I already stated the reason as to why it's not working.
Quote by fr33zing_m00n
What it seems to me, is you want us to sell it "broken" for a low price, so you can make an easy fix, and sell it for more.

Also I already stated the reason as to why it's not working.

Uh hello. I said I would only of bough it to complete my Traynor stack. And besides, I would barely pay $150 an old tube amp. I even suggested you take someone elses offer. Yep, I really want to flip it I flip low risk stuff like guitars, not 100watt guitar amps from the 70's that don't work.
I am was just trying to save you some money and hassle, as well as getting you money in your pocket ASAP.

I dont want it if it isnt broken, because I cant afford 500 + shipping, and I want an amp to tinker with.

But you can do whatever you want with it. It is your amp after all.
Well, we will keep your offer in mind, however as someone said "The most you guys can probably get for it is 500". Well if that's so, wouldn't we obviously try to get the most for it? If that means spending some money to replace the fuse and maybe the tubes, then so be it.

My friend is going to use the profit in order to get a new amp in the $500-700 price range that will most likely be a solid state due to the fact that it's all he can afford at the moment. If he had the money, he would get a Mesa Triple Rectifier, but he's not rich or a professional touring musician, etc... he just wants something to get the job done for practices and small shows. He knows good tube amps are superior to solid states, but he doesn't need one for his requirements, so let's not this get into a solid state vs. tube argument.

He just would much rather sell this great tube amp to someone would appreciate it's tone and put it to good use. He's not getting any use out of it, so it makes much more sense to sell it and buy something which he would put to use, such as a solid state half stack.
Page 1 of 3