So, me and the guys in the band have decided that we want to play a few cover songs. The problem is, we all like different kinds of music and can't agree on anything. Difficulty isn't an issue guitar-wise, nothing tooo fast for the drums, and the vocals can really be anything. So Help?? Can UG suggest on anything we might agree on?!?!

Here's what we like:
I (guitar)- Nevermore, Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy
(drums)- Death, Lamb of God, In Flames
(other guitar)- Shadows Fall---that's all he listens to
(Bass)- Whatever he^ tells him to listen to
(Vocals)- Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall

ehhh Please help...
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
I suggest Bob Dylan.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
"Embody the Invisible" by In Flames
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.
ummm... serious responses please? If I wanted these answers I would have posted in the pit.

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
redemption by shadows fall?
laid to rest by lamb of god?
sixpounder by COB?

sumthing u all hav in common?
death is such a classical band, everyone listens to them, maybe try crystal mountian, see if the guys like it

else just settle for something like lamb of god, i know nevermore fans dont like to stoop to that level, as i am an avid nevermore fan, but sometimes its worth it just for the headbanging, something like ruin maybe

try metallica maybe, for whom the bell tolls

embody the invisible by in flames would be a good one

maybe my apocalypse, seeing as how everyone likes that song

and if those dont work, threaten to learn frantic disembowelment, they'll stfu and follow whatever you say if you pull out that card
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
We used to do Laid to Rest or 11th Hour by Lamb of God and before that Gone Forever by God Forbid. Fairly simple stuff and we really only started playing those because they were challenging to us at the time. I think they were pretty good choices in hindsight though also because they go over well live even when people aren't familiar with em and those that did know em rocked the **** out to em In fact, we've actually gotten a few 'fans' now that got into us because of those lamb of god songs (they're major LoG-nuts).

It really depends on why you want to do covers. If you want to try more challenging stuff with the entire band I think Nevermore of Children of Bodom would be your best bet (though neither are really up my alley so I don't know too much about em). If you want something that will add more spice to your live set I think you oughta go for something that's better known, which of course brings us to Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, etc. or of those bands you posted... I would have to say Death. Any metalhead worth his salt should know his Death classics. Of course adding cover songs to your set depends on what your set consists of of course... which means that if you have 25 shredfests in each of your own songs then suddenly plopping Killswitch Engage's My Last Serenade in the middle of the set is going to be... odd, at best.

Overall, I think you should just compromise and play a Shadows Fall tune with some hefty soloing (seems the majority of the band likes the Shads anyway), an awesome and wellknown Death song, off of Symbolic (imo their best and bestknown album) and uhm... I don't know, maybe something faster and more aggressive, purely as a live song to get ye ol' moshpit going.

Oh, and never EVER play anything by In Flames. Simply because they're ****e.
Quote by YHN-DF
We used to do Laid to Rest or 11th Hour by Lamb of God and before that Gone Forever by God Forbid. Fairly simple stuff and we really only started playing those because they were challenging to us at the time. I think they were pretty good choices in hindsight though also because they go over well live even when people aren't familiar with em and those that did know em rocked the **** out to em In fact, we've actually gotten a few 'fans' now that got into us because of those lamb of god songs (they're major LoG-nuts).

It really depends on why you want to do covers. If you want to try more challenging stuff with the entire band I think Nevermore of Children of Bodom would be your best bet (though neither are really up my alley so I don't know too much about em). If you want something that will add more spice to your live set I think you oughta go for something that's better known, which of course brings us to Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, etc. or of those bands you posted... I would have to say Death. Any metalhead worth his salt should know his Death classics. Of course adding cover songs to your set depends on what your set consists of of course... which means that if you have 25 shredfests in each of your own songs then suddenly plopping Killswitch Engage's My Last Serenade in the middle of the set is going to be... odd, at best.

Overall, I think you should just compromise and play a Shadows Fall tune with some hefty soloing (seems the majority of the band likes the Shads anyway), an awesome and wellknown Death song, off of Symbolic (imo their best and bestknown album) and uhm... I don't know, maybe something faster and more aggressive, purely as a live song to get ye ol' moshpit going.

Oh, and never EVER play anything by In Flames. Simply because they're ****e.

Yeah, actually the song we came closest to agreeing on was pull the plug (death). But our singer doesn't really know them and I don't think he could pull off chuck's vox that well. We were also close with Idiot box (shadows fall) but our drummer says he can't play straight double-bass that fast yet. (we're only like 14-16 years old). Our vocalist isn't that great a screamer yet so LoG is out of the question. Though we came close to agreeing on In Your Face (CoB), we don't have a keyboard player. So we might try pull the plug or sixpounder. Thanks for all your help guys. This is the first time UG has actually HELPED me with anything.

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
i am serous iron man is the seckond song i learned when i started you should also try stairway to heaven led zeppelin and black dog smoke on the water (a classic) back in black and thundersturck
play somting everyone hates, so no one feels ripped off
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HammerAndSickle
I suggest Bob Dylan.

lol good stuff right there. You will never get anywhere playing metal anyway.
Quote by Muphin
Maybe if the Jews were kind to Hitler the holocaust wouldn't have happened.

Hahaha
Quote by javierjjs
i am serous iron man is the seckond song i learned when i started you should also try stairway to heaven led zeppelin and black dog smoke on the water (a classic) back in black and thundersturck

Stop.

You could try KSE's version of Holy Diver. I bet that'd be an easy one to get together.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Since your band can't really seem to agree on something try doing a cover of a really off the wall song. Ive got some friends in a death metal band that did a cover of Blister in the Sun by the Violent Femmes and it is hilarious. Come on hearing Blister in the Sun with grunts and screams and heavy guitars its great.
Quote by LikidySplitz
You will never get anywhere playing metal anyway.

and YOU will never get anywhere by criticizing other people's musical intrests over the internet.

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9