Page 1 of 2
I don't want to be rude but I just don't find any "beauty" or amazing performance in the classical piece "4:33". What's the purpose of complete silence for 4 minutes and 33 seconds?! People pay to come watch an orchestra play nothing?!

Can somene explain to me why they did something so stupid?? They even call talented someone who can play that, I mean wtf...Music is supposed to an art of creativity and soul expression but it's also supposed to please your ears. I don't think silence is as pleasing as noise which make melodies...

I hope I didn't offend anyone

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
*FACEPALM*
wat?
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
It would be so awesome if someone just blew out a massive fart like 30 seconds in and everyone else burst out laughing for the rest of it.
check this out
A guy on youtube supposedly played that piece on guitar and check out the first comment on the vid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jxfOr0T5Vi8
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
You obviously don't get it .
But in all seriousness, I think this is a perfectly legitimate piece of music. The point is that anything can be music. The piece isn't about silence, it's about the things you can hear when there is no intentional sound coming from the performers.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by XxLloydxX
I don't want to be rude but I just don't find any "beauty" or amazing performance in the classical piece "4:33". What's the purpose of complete silence for 4 minutes and 33 seconds?! People pay to come watch an orchestra play nothing?!

Can somene explain to me why they did something so stupid?? They even call talented someone who can play that, I mean wtf...Music is supposed to an art of creativity and soul expression but it's also supposed to please your ears. I don't think silence is as pleasing as noise which make melodies...

I hope I didn't offend anyone

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E

Listen to the first sentence in that video.
They don't call the musicians who perform that song talented. It's supposed to be an artistic statement, not an exposition of talent.
The medium is the message!
I always found the idea pretty interesting.

From youtube:
Quote by Guitarist166
This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen I really like the progression at 2:56 yeah that's a real piece of music right there.

edit: at when he wipes his head.
Who dat?
What's wrong with a piece of silence? Cage is trying to demonstrate the fact that human beings can never, ever experience complete silence. It is musical expression.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
If i ever went to a classical music concert and the composer tried to pull that **** at about 2:46 into 4:33 i would go up on stage and brake his neck and then demand my money back.
An expression of art, hardly. Art needs to be esthetically pleasing. Silence cannot have that quality because you can neither see, hear!!, touch, smell etc. silence.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Quote by DZCunuck
If i ever went to a classical music concert and the composer tried to pull that **** at about 2:46 into 4:33 i would go up on stage and brake his neck and then demand my money back.
An expression of art, hardly. Art needs to be esthetically pleasing. Silence cannot have that quality because you can neither see, hear!!, touch, smell etc. silence.

The point of the piece is that things are never truly silent.
Who dat?
Quote by DZCunuck

You sir, are a very ignorant little kid...Read the post above yours....

Actually even better...read the whole thread before posting...So you can intelligently comment on it.
Quote by DZCunuck

aesthetically**

And art doesn't need to be pleasing to be art. Art can be ugly, and sometimes art should be ugly. The piece is about how there actually is no silence. Even in a concert hall with an orchestra not playing anything, there's still small sounds. That is the song.
The medium is the message!
this is, interesting, but it's just something to add to the list of things that could have been done by anyone, but instead was done by the composer, I respect that this is a piece of art and with it comes the intentions and meaning the composer has placed behind it, however; I would never listen to this piece, ever.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Can people who are born deaf hear?

please reread your post, the answer is hidden in there somewhere
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Last edited by Carswell98 at Mar 3, 2008,
Quote by Muphin
What's wrong with a piece of silence? Cage is trying to demonstrate the fact that human beings can never, ever experience complete silence. It is musical expression.

When you are dead you experience complete silence...
Well, you don't quite experiment anything really...

Complete silence means complete lack of movement regarding soundwaves (and lack of movement from anything, or being in a void (sp?) (like space) where there are no means for sound to propagate into your ears....
If you are in space you can HEAR complete silence, but movement inside your organism (like heart beating, even brain cells sinapsing) vibrates, and in the end makes your timpane (sp?) vibrate, creating sound......

Maybe being deaf?
Quote by gonzaw
When you are dead you experience complete silence...
Well, you don't quite experiment anything really...

Complete silence means complete lack of movement regarding soundwaves (and lack of movement from anything, or being in a void (sp?) (like space) where there are no means for sound to propagate into your ears....
If you are in space you can HEAR complete silence, but movement inside your organism (like heart beating, even brain cells sinapsing) vibrates, and in the end makes your timpane (sp?) vibrate, creating sound......

Maybe being deaf?

When you're dead you don't experience. Your own organs count as sound. Interesting, though, bringing up deaf people. Is anybody 100% deaf?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
This isn't classical. It's avante garde. An orchestra doesn't inherently equate to classical music.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^ that is the word I was looking for, thank you

this belongs with art like Yoko Ono's

Quote by Muphin
When you're dead you don't experience. Your own organs count as sound. Interesting, though, bringing up deaf people. Is anybody 100% deaf?

well technically speaking, I suppose if they have the ability to feel sound vibrations no, but in terms of the inability for the brain to process or the ear to transmit signals, yes.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Ridiculous. It is legitimate music but it is also ridiculous paradoxically.

It would be funny if they play this in my town. My friends and I would dress up rebelliously and ruin the performance.
peanuts and beers
i think youre just jealous that you didnt think of it first, cause yeah...pretty ingenious

EDIT: i wonder if the orchestra has rehearsals for that piece??
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Mar 3, 2008,
^be calm, nobody said you have to like it

Quote by NoLaurelTree000
i think youre just jealous that you didnt think of it first, cause yeah...pretty ingenious

EDIT: i wonder if the orchestra has rehearsals for that piece??

I wonder as well
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

I've always liked this idea, it's just such an unconventional thing to do....I can't help but be impressed!

Not much quality musicianship or songwriting on display, of course, but that's the point.
California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain, Honolulu star-bright, the song remains the same.

Casting quarters into wells that hold our dreams.

Believe in the freedom of music.

With our love, we could save the world.
Quote by The Shadow
I've always liked this idea, it's just such an unconventional thing to do....I can't help but be impressed!

Not much quality musicianship or songwriting on display, of course, but that's the point.

have you heard his other works?

this is literally and figuratively nothing until you've heard the way he plays piano
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Carswell98
^be calm, nobody said you have to like it

It's just frustrating to watch, and then people actually give him credit. I guarantee if a metal/rock band released a song that went for 4.33mins of nothing, they would get raped on by everyone. But no, because he is an 'interlectual' musician, it is pure genius. It's a load of crap, your just to lazy to actually write somthing that reflects your thoughts on silence. Dooshbag.

And that me done
Quote by razorback_al_31
It's just frustrating to watch, and then people actually give him credit. I guarantee if a metal/rock band released a song that went for 4.33mins of nothing, they would get raped on by everyone. But no, because he is an 'interlectual' musician, it is pure genius. It's a load of crap, your just to lazy to actually write somthing that reflects your thoughts on silence. Dooshbag.

And that me done

That rant was hilarious to me...and you didn't do it on purpose, trust me.

I enjoyed it to be honest. Really interesting to "hear silence"
Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
Quote by razorback_al_31

And that me done

well ok, it's your opinion

but I'd like to point out that you misspelled intellectual
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by razorback_al_31

And that me done

as they should be. do you think this would work if metallica tried playing this? of course not.

but when people are quietly sitting in seats in a theater with a massive orchestra on stage, it does work.

not so much for drunk/high/spun 12-20something year olds that are pissed off if they miss out on the mosh pit
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Ok, so he's making a statement, we can never experience true silence, blah blah, but it still doesn't deserve so much attention...
Quote by Carswell98
well ok, it's your opinion

but I'd like to point out that you misspelled intellectual

Thank you, i was filled with to much rage to notice

Quote by NoLaurelTree000
as they should be. do you think this would work if metallica tried playing this? of course not.

but when people are quietly sitting in seats in a theater with a massive orchestra on stage, it does work.

not so much for drunk/high/spun 12-20something year olds that are pissed off if they miss out on the mosh pit

If i payed some of my hard earned cash to go see an orchestra play some beautiful classical music, i would be frustrated if they were to do that. I could have gone to library if i wanted to see a bunch of people sitting there in silence.

But yes, his other stuff is great, he is a great pianist and composer. But this, this frustrates me.
I need to tell you something, you guys take things way too seriously. Ligthen before you have a heart attack.
Quote by razorback_al_31

And that me done

It's douchebag.
And something.
And Intellectual.
Please learn to spell before tackling such big words.

lol, its art, but i think art can be interpreted a little much sometimes

kinda reminds me of when people take a book, and completly over analyze it. example, in the house of the spirits, there was a big controversy over what barbados the dog symbolized. after much discussion, the author came up in a press conference and said, "it symbolizes nothing. its just a dog"
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Page 1 of 2