hey guys, right now im learning for the love of god by steve vai, which has major bends and vibrato all the way throughout the song. Ive been playing it tons everyday, and im a bit worried this might wear down my frets fast. Should i worry? what do you think the life span will be? its an ibanez RGT42DX
shouldnt worry
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
forget about fret wear man. Shouldn't even be a concern for you... Chances are that you'll never have to see one of your guitars have it's frets changed...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by JustinT80
what do you think the life span will be?

Decades. Most professional guitarists who play hours worth of sets every day hardly ever have to change their frets so I doubt you will ever see that kind of maintenance on your guitar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Im bet your guitar will probably break before you need to change your frets,
As long as you use nickel, and not stainless steel strings, you should be fine.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
For sure

Those stainless steels do a number on frets

Bigger gauges like 11 and up will wear em down a bit faster too
Last edited by Silky Smooth at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by Reildeal
forget about fret wear man. Shouldn't even be a concern for you... Chances are that you'll never have to see one of your guitars have it's frets changed...

I'd say frets on a well-played guitar last about ten years.
your frets should be fine, only after like years and years of solid playing will your frets get worn down.. unless the frets are crap which ibanez's usually aren't .. so your safe
It is so long that you probably don't have to concern yourself with it. Honestly, even if the frets do wear out, that guitar is not going to be worth refretting unless you are really emotionally attached to it, they cost around $250-$300, which half that guitar's price when it is new, the guitar will probably be worth less than the refret job by the time it needs it.
Wail away and no, do not worry about fret wear.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.