Alright, I recently got an Ibanex SR305DX, and it sounds great...except for the B string. It sounds terrible, both plugged in and unplugged. It doesn't buzz so much as it rattles around. Do you guys have any tips, or should I just return it?
Check the action? Never had that problem before. Take it in to a guitar shop and check it out, if they don't know then return it and buy an ESP.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.
thicker string possibly? what gauge you using?
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by icon_player_5
thicker string possibly? what gauge you using?

I honestly have no idea, they're the factory strings and it doesn't say the gauge anywhere.
Why'd you buy it if the string sounded like that?

Anyways.. just take it back to the shop and they'll fix it.
"I don't understand how one can kill a man in the name of peace, that's ridiculous."
- JBT
Quote by Phish
Why'd you buy it if the string sounded like that?

Anyways.. just take it back to the shop and they'll fix it.

Got it off Musician's Friend...they gave me a 20% discount in the mail for some reason. It's weird cause not many of the reviews complain about the B string, some even say it's great.
Probably just a bad setup. Go to your local GC or guitar shop and have them set it up. It should sound just fine.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
If it's only a 34 inch scale bass then you'll definitely want to try increasing the string gauge. If it's 35 inch scale then you might want to get it checked out. 34 inch scale 5 strings can sometimes have floppy B strings.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

It definitely sounds like your action is too low, at least that's what I think of when I hear the term "rattle" applied to a bass. Have a shop set it up for you or do it yourself if you want.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

My guess is that they took a 4 string pack of strings and put them on and then took a separate B string and put that on there, maybe the b string gauge didn't really match the rest of the strings
Quote by Infamou$17
Check the action? Never had that problem before. Take it in to a guitar shop and check it out, if they don't know then return it and buy an ESP.

If a guitar shop can't fix the action, you should find a new guitar shop.

It sounds like a problem that is easily fixed - no need to tell him to buy a new bass.

Quote by Ashbory4
My guess is that they took a 4 string pack of strings and put them on and then took a separate B string and put that on there, maybe the b string gauge didn't really match the rest of the strings

Don't most 5-string sets have the same B-string gauge?
Quote by Charlatan_001
Don't most 5-string sets have the same B-string gauge?

I've seen them range from 125 to 140 as standard. I find 135 to be the most comfortable with good tension.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I play a 34 in. scale 5 string, and had the same problem with the B string when I first got it.

The standard is 125, which is what most packs come with. You're going to have trouble finding a wide variety of 5 string sets, as most stores just don't carry them, so you should probably look into buying your strings from the internet. I feel pretty comfortable with a 130, but as a whole I play with strings that are just a tad bit heavier than normal (135,110 on my current bass. The E and B strings are the only strings I really notice much of a difference in guage.