Hey guys. As a regular for two years on the GG@A forum, I have seen many threads on amps and amp decisions. I know Spiders are crap, tube combos are the best, YOU DON'T NEED A HALF STACK, etc.

I am getting a head, because I am getting a Marshall 1960 cab for my birthday in two weeks. I have $500 for a head and I am either looking at the new Bugera's or something on eBay. If any of you see anything on eBay or have comments on the Bugera's please let me know.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
I have been on a blues kick lately, but I am really a metal head. Kataklysm, Behemoth, Cryptopsy, etc. I need a decent clean, but nothing amazing.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
I'd get a Marshall jcm900. Mesa, if you can get one cheap. I'm getting the DIEZEL VH4 soon!
Schecter Synyster custom

Washburn custom ( I remodeled)

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

How many vegetarians does it take to eat a cow?

One if no one is looking.
i dunno what prices are like where you are mate..sorry!!

i just got a Laney Vh100R.....i love it because it's diverse so i can play metal and clean
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by bigtimmy
i dunno what prices are like where you are mate..sorry!!

i just got a Laney Vh100R.....i love it because it's diverse so i can play metal and clean

Lol, yeah that would be nice, but that is over a grand in the US.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Yeah JCM!
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

There is a 5150 combo on craigslist. You could do stereo, run the cab with the combo?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

I would rather just have a head and cab instead of combo and cab because of lugging it from practice to shows and whatnot.

What about a Marshall AVT50 head? I have played it before but not long. I have an effects processor for good distortion and effects that would play well with it.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Quote by CarbonDeath
What about a Marshall AVT50 head?

...do you like the sound of the Marshall mg's?
Quote by Ghold125
...do you like the sound of the Marshall mg's?

No, but the AVT cleans are nice, and I wouldn't be using the distortion. I was just wondering about the reliability.

What about any other amp recommendations? I need something with a lot of distortion, and good cleans.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Quote by CarbonDeath
I would rather just have a head and cab instead of combo and cab because of lugging it from practice to shows and whatnot.

What about a Marshall AVT50 head? I have played it before but not long. I have an effects processor for good distortion and effects that would play well with it.

if you get casters for a combo they are soo much easier to lug around...
Quote by Highwaytohell
if you get casters for a combo they are soo much easier to lug around...

I know, I had casters on my Traynor before it blew out on me. But I just want a head because I am already getting a cab. And still, heads are lighter than combos.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
AVT = bad.

Don't buy a $500 amp and use it through a distortion pedal. It will sound much nicer of you use the amps own distortion or layer some OD on top of it.

Sorry but i cant recommends anything as im not that great on American amp pricing.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by CarbonDeath

haha and thats why youre getting a half stack?...not to carry around heavy equipment?....k
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Instead of getting the 1960 for your birthday, have whoever's getting it chip in for a nice combo instead.

Wow...I'm a genius.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by .arkness:.
AVT = bad.

Don't buy a $500 amp and use it through a distortion pedal. It will sound much nicer of you use the amps own distortion or layer some OD on top of it.

Sorry but i cant recommends anything as im not that great on American amp pricing.

hmmm, never heard this before? I have a valveking 100 cuz i was on a budget for a tube head myself and was sick of my solid state...and i use dist pedals cuz the gain channel on this thing sux imo...i like the pedals a lot better. Could probably depend on the amp tho obviously, and the dist u like.
the Marshall JCM 800 is a versatile amp but it's sister model the 2203kk is a hi-gain version of it but has a nice cleans too.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Quote by The Real Ming
Tiny Terror

I was thinking that, but I don't know if it would play the type of music I play. Plus, it would be loud but they people that I play with play louder.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
How about a Bugera 6262? If you can get a good guarantee for it, the (for now rather unknown) reliability won't be a problem. The JCM 900 is a good idea too.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by CarbonDeath
I have been on a blues kick lately, but I am really a metal head. Kataklysm, Behemoth, Cryptopsy, etc. I need a decent clean, but nothing amazing.

Might be worth looking into the 5150 but I haven't seen any prices lower than 600 but I bet if you look locally you might find one for cheap.. Try Craigslist
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by shinedown98
hmmm, never heard this before? I have a valveking 100 cuz i was on a budget for a tube head myself and was sick of my solid state...and i use dist pedals cuz the gain channel on this thing sux imo...i like the pedals a lot better. Could probably depend on the amp tho obviously, and the dist u like.

a distortion pedal will make it sound like crap over the gain. thats why you need an overdrive pedal, along with some decent eq work.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Peavey 5150.

It may be a little over your price but its worth it.

and the cleans are usable. especially with a chorus pedal.
Peavey valveking, is a good option, they sound pretty good when paired with a nice cab with decent speakers. The Randall RH50t would also be good, both these amps are pretty good budget metal amps, I have only played the VK and must say with active EMGs this thing is an animal, but most agree that the RH50T>ValveKing. Both are around 500 dollars.
http://www.pulseonline.com/randall15.htm
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVVKING100