Page 1 of 2
i've heard some of their music. they're a pretty good band. not one of hard rock, but it's still good to listen to. especially if you wanna hear something new
I like OLP. Credited them as my favourite band when i was 12/13. Not so big on them now, but I still really like Spiritual Machines and Clumsy. Happiness... has only a few strong tracks on it, Gravity is okay, havent heard Naveed.
This band has definitely become one of my favourites.

I have liked them ever since I was a wee lad.
I remember the 'Naveed' video scaring the crap out of me (for some reason ). I never really caught on to them until 'One Man Army'. That's their first song I really liked. Then, soon after I became pretty obsessed with Thief. I loved that song. I played it constantly.

Then came 'Spiritual Machines'. 'Life' basically knocked me off my feet. That song was epic. I had never heard a song such as good as that. Even today, I say that 'Life' is one of the best songs of the past ten years. Might even be the best (All IMO mind you). That was it. I was hooked. I became a big fan.

Overall, I see their albums as a double mountain. First 'Naveed'. That album is OK. Good initial album. Next 'Clumsy'. Very nice album. Like it lots. 'Automatic Flowers' is [IMO] another one of their best songs.

'Happiness.... Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch'. Superb. Absolutely, positively superb. There is not a track I do not like on that album. Pure gold. This was definitely their best work (IMO)

Then they released 'Spiritual Machines' the next year. To put it blunt, I hate this album. I would rate it a 4.5 at most. HOWEVER, 'Life'. 'Life' is a masterpiece. Best song ever made by them (IMO). I still find it outstanding to this day. I'm sad to say that the rest of the record blows (IMO).

Luckily, OLP redeem themselves in 2002 with' Gravity'. Another excellent album. (IMO) The first half of the album is a perfect 10. All great. With the exception of 'Not Enough', the rest of the album is 'eh' (IMO). Still, I think it is their second best work to date.

I'm content with 'Healthy in Paranoid Times'. It is an OK record. I understand the circumstances around that album and that stuff, but it just doesn't do it for me. I still have a soft spot for 'Angels/Losing/Sleep' & 'Will The Future Blame Us' though.

If they do come out with a new album, I'll be sure to buy it.
Interesting analysis, complete with 7 "IMOs"
Funny, I only like 3 (maybe4 [I[max) songs on Happiness, yet I find SM excellent. Though it does sound samey here and there.
I don't get the infatuation with 'In Repair'. I, personally, do not like that song and actually think it is pretty weak. I just find that album boring and bad.
I find In Repair fairly boring too actually, but I like it how the song starts immediately. My favourite track off it is probably All My Friends, plus it has a really cool segue.
OLP was my fave band before I knew anything about music, and SM was my fave album, so I kinda have an "emotional" attachment to it.
Yeah, I think OLP is like my first band that I listened to that I didn't leech off from my mom's taste.
Yeah, it was OLP and Big Shiny Tunes discs for me

How is Healthy in Paranoid Times? I remember downloading a song or two and remember them sounding rather generic...
Quote by heaven's gate
Yeah, it was OLP and Big Shiny Tunes discs for me

How is Healthy in Paranoid Times? I remember downloading a song or two and remember them sounding rather generic...

It's hit and miss. Songs are not bad, just not what we expect from OLP. I'd say buy it if you can. It's a decent album, just don't expect it to be some marvel. It does have some good tracks. I know this sounds odd, but it sounds more chic-y if you get what I'm saying.
1) He already has a solo album out and
2) The band almost broke up before HiPT. Just what's between them.... eh.
Have you heard his solo album? I didnt know he already had one out, I tend to live in the past when it comes to OLP.
Quote by heaven's gate
Have you heard his solo album? I didnt know he already had one out, I tend to live in the past when it comes to OLP.

Nah, I haven't heard his solo CD yet. My friend has it, so I might leetch it off him.

Quote by Godsmack311
i dont like Gravity.

and Raine has a solo album

whats it called??

It's called 'The Hunter's Lullaby'.
It was released back in November.
I've heard the single, Yellow Brick Road. It's nice.
Quote by vintage x metal
idk if my vagina can handle all of this at once.

Quote by hazzmatazz
It's a good time too stop when you start ejaculating air, right?

Quote by frankv
I've been raping my left hand
Quote by Squall142
I've heard the single, Yellow Brick Road. It's nice.

I just sampled/youtubed it and I have to say...

... I really like it.
Quote by stepco12345

It's called 'The Hunter's Lullaby'.
It was released back in November.

cool. thnx dude.

i have to get on that.
I did some research through the community/fan sites and what not and apparently they are writing new material.

That's a good thing.
Quote by Godsmack311
they cant break up. that would suck.

They have been together for like 15 years. They were also very close to breaking up before HiBT. If they do come out with another album, I think it could be safe to say that it will be their last.

Also, lately I have been listening to Spiritual Machines again after so long. I have never read paid much attention to it for so long and actually started again a couple days ago and I have such a new outlook on the album. I actually enjoy it a lot. It's ****ing creepy as hell too.

I might even by the RK's book surrounding the album just for the lulz.

Finally:
Quote by Wikipedia
In early 2000, Mike Turner, founding member and guitarist of the Canadian band Our Lady Peace, stumbled upon the book at a bookstore, and though initially attracted by the shininess of the book, he purchased the book intrigued by the concepts that it contained

Burn Burn coming out soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for it, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
Loved Clumsy, good stuff.
I should get into this band more fa show...suggestions?
Songs? Albums? etc...
Pot
Kettle
Black
OLP is awesome!!!

new album this summer, raine maida said it was gonna sound like their old stuff.

CANT WAIT!!!
I think OLP has gone downhill significantly over the years. As a Canadian I hear them on the radio A LOT, and their material these days is just awful compared to the Naveed-era. A lot of people I know think Naveed is inferior when compared their 2nd release, Clumsy, but I alays disagree. Listen to Naveed and then Clumsy. All the energy and anger they displayed on insane tracks like The Birdman and Denied and the haunting Under Zenith are completely replaced by dull, mid-tempo alt rockers in Clumsy, which is super disappointing. They never regained that rocking vibe, as Happiness... was exactly like Clumsy, and Gravity and HIPT were both abyssmal. Spiritual Machines contains stronger musical writing than most of their later stuff, but is marred by ridiculously silly tracks like Life and Are You Sad, which are just ****ing painful to listen to.
Quote by SameOld
I think OLP has gone downhill significantly over the years. As a Canadian I hear them on the radio A LOT, and their material these days is just awful compared to the Naveed-era. A lot of people I know think Naveed is inferior when compared their 2nd release, Clumsy, but I alays disagree. Listen to Naveed and then Clumsy. All the energy and anger they displayed on insane tracks like The Birdman and Denied and the haunting Under Zenith are completely replaced by dull, mid-tempo alt rockers in Clumsy, which is super disappointing. They never regained that rocking vibe, as Happiness... was exactly like Clumsy, and Gravity and HIPT were both abyssmal. Spiritual Machines contains stronger musical writing than most of their later stuff, but is marred by ridiculously silly tracks like Life and Are You Sad, which are just ****ing painful to listen to.

anyone who calls Gravity "abyssmal" isn't a true OLP fan...and about Naveed: not all bands play the same music as they did when they were teenagers. If you like the rebel-grunge side of OLP then you have to understand their music is going to sound more mature now that they are in their 30s
Quote by SameOld

How can you say that Life is a ridiculously silly track? That's one of their best songs, it might even be my favorite, and I know a lot of people agree. As for Gravity and HIPT being abyssmal, I think your analysis of OLP is in general, abyssmal, I think HIPT is my favorite album, but Clumsy and Gravity are very very close behind.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
I've listened to Healthy in Paranoid Times, Clumsy and Naveed, and I must say, HiPT is one of the worst albums I've ever listened to, Clumsy is one of my favourites, and Naveed is one I give the occasional spin, overall, I like them, but their new stuff it awful. I'll have to get my hands on Happiness... someday soon.
awesome band!!! happiness, is anybody home?, one man army, wonderful future, middle of yesterday, etc.
Page 1 of 2