So I've been playing guitar for 3 years, and basically the only thing I've ever learned is how to read tab. I have no idea about anything music theory related, I don't know what a scale or a key is, pretty much nothing. If anyone could recommend a site that would guide me on all this stuff that would be great. I've tried a few but they all gave instructions that required some understanding of music theory, and like I said I know nothing about it at all.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
read the music theory sticky on this forum and if or when you don't understand something or are confused ask in here people are more than willing to help
song stuck in my head today

I've often found books to be more well-organized and thorough than most websites, just a personal preference though. I'd recommend buying The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory.
Quote by :-D
I've often found books to be more well-organized and thorough than most websites, just a personal preference though. I'd recommend buying The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory.

Is it some special book I will have to hunt down or can I find it in any bookstore?
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
a Cmajor scale goes:

C D E F G A B C

The tab is:

-------------------------------------
-------------------------4--5-------
--------------3--5--7--------------
---3--5--7-------------------------

That gives you one octave of C major....

The pattern in whole steps and half steps is (whole step being two frets and half being one fret)

From the start note, W W H W W W H
Thats the Ionian mode, but most described as major scale.

You can copy that pattern and place it at any starting point on the Low E or A strings (thats assuming u know the names of the strings)

If you would like anymore help please message me, on my profile....
I would like to get some FREINDS on this site lolz....
I also need some crit buddies for my songs, so if you tell me what you think i would appreciate it.

'Time to breathe' is the name of my song, check it out. on songs and lyrics.... Dont know how to hyperlink yet so youll have to search it up... should find it....