When Delerium can finally get his head above the rising tide and get the next edits to the FAQ in, there will be a Bass book section, I promise. (I hope, I pray...)

Until then yes.....

Its the old reliable "Hal Leonard's Bass Method Books I - III" in a single volume. It has all you ask for and then some. From "this is a bass" to beginning slap technique, it's all there. And yes, you will be able to read bass clef well by the end of the book. Plus, these books form the basis of a whole library of books on different bass styles put out by ol' Hal Leonard.

Also recommended are "Bass Guitar for Dummies" and "Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory".

And no, I am not getting a kickback from Hal Leonard, btw.
If your looking for music theory and not bass guitar techniques then really any music theory book will do. you should learn scales chords and how to read treble and bass clefs. So really you could pickup a music theory book for piano and be on your way since a typical pianist has to learn all of those.

What I'm saying is music theory is easily transposable onto other instruments so you might be overlooking some good music theory books just because they don't say bass guitar on them.

I learned most of my theory from the guitar and then moved to bass, the only main thing I had to change was my playing style and outlook on music in general.
Anything that's got Hal Leonards name on it is usually gold. Rock Bass Lines, Slapping for dummies, Tapping Technique, Scales, Advance scales, Bass Method I, Bass Method II, and so on and so forth. All great books.
The Complete Idiot's Guide To Bass Guitar is also very good. Teaches you all the essential techniques, and many different styles of music.

It does gloss over reading musoic notation a little, but is very in-depth on various chords, scales and modes.
Serious Electric Bass by Joel di Bartolo is somewhat heavy but you'll have some serious knowledge if you read it