I was wondering if there was a pedal that drops the octave of a guitar so it sounds like a bass. Is there a such thing? If so, are they worth it, do they actually make the guitar sound like a bass, or is it a waste of money? Any recommendations?
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
there are sub-octave pedals (but most of the time you find octave-up pedals), like the POG, and the Boss OC3. They do not, however, make your guitar sound like a bass, that would require a guitar synth.
There are tons.
Digitech whammy can drop 1 or 2 octaves and go up 2 as well.

I couldn't recommend anything since i've never had one :/
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
the OC-3 and the whammy can do a convincing bass sound, but they can't multitrack for ****. I havent tried a pog yet but i believe it can multitrack better.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
digitech RP series have that kind of thing pre-programmed into them..
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
The Digitech Whammy Pedal can do that. If you want an idea of how it sounds listen to the intro of Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Thanks for the answers guys! I really just need a pedal that gives a convincing bass sound. Do you think that if I used one of those pedals (Whammy and OC-3 are looking pretty good right now, though most likely OC-3 as it's quite a bit cheaper), it would at least adequately resemble a bass?

I want to buy a bass (mostly just for playing around on) but I'm way short on money at the moment, so yeah, I figure this is the next best thing.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Quote by Highwaytohell
umm... what? a digitech whammy will run you buy 200... thats enough for a cheap bass!

can a bass octave up or whammy ur current guitar? and can u switch guitars and the press of a button? nope :-P haha. i concur with the digitech whammy idea. my friend has one and it is totally worth the price, it can do so much. google it.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by Woogles
Digitech whammy can drop 1 or 2 octaves and go up 2 as well.

It can also drop 3 octaves, and create harmonies. I'm thinking of getting one soon.
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
None of those give a "convincing" bass sound, they sound a lot like a guitar an octive lower... not a bass, there is a noticable difference in timbre. Nothing wrong with a guitar an octive lower sound, but if you want to sound like a real bass you probably have to have a real bass or a good bass synth. Of course most bass synths aren't "convinving" either.