Hey guys,
im about to purchase an ESP LTD EC-1000 with emg pickups.
i know emg's are high gain, but is this something where its so high gain, i wouldnt be able to play stuff like stairway to heaven on clean or like arctic monkeys stuff?
Im not a metalhead, but i love intense gain. Am i making a mistake with this guitar, or will it be able to handle other things besides metal?

crappp
My Gear:
Fender American 60's Strat
Peavey Valveking Stack
Boss ME-50
Homebrew Crystal Bawl Wah
I would say go try a guitar with the same kind of wood and emgs to see if you really like it. You can do high gain without emgs
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
No it has the 60 so you should be all right. You don't use the 81 for cleans.

Don't worry about it. If you like it then you should be fine, but if you don't there's an EC with Duncans. Also if you outgrow them they are easy to swap out.

^Wood type doesn't make a big difference in EMG's IMHO.

EDIT: Sorry I got the 81 and 85 mixed up. Are you sure it comes with 81 because my friends came with a 60. 81's are still good for like dirty blues.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Mar 3, 2008,
Well whatever you do, I would recommend playing the guitar first, or at least a guitar with 81s in it, because you may love it, or you may hate it. That goes with everything basically. You should always try it out first, otherwise you may find that you just wasted a bit of money on something you have no use for.

But as for your question, my friend has the Zakk Wylde set which I believe is 81/85, and it sounds great clean, etc...
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
No it has the 60 so you should be all right. You don't use the 81 for cleans.

Don't worry about it. If you like it then you should be fine, but if you don't there's an EC with Duncans. Also if you outgrow them they are easy to swap out.

^Wood type doesn't make a big difference in EMG's IMHO.

so wait, it has one EMG 81 pickup and one EMG 60 pickup?

i'd imagine emgs wouldnt be too bad for brit style play would it?

and i totallyyy forgot i could just swap them out. but would these work?
anyone have one and know?
My Gear:
Peavey Valveking Stack
Boss ME-50
Yes, wood type generally doesnt effect emg tone, i have an 81/85 combo in my hellraiser and they are definatly capable of doing cleaner stuff, and if the EC has a 60 in the neck like many of them do it wouldnt be a bad choice at all, sounds great for clean, like others said, maybe try it out in person if your SUPER concerned, but i bought mine without playing it, and now i hate playing anything without them.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
what amp do you have? they're not going to instantly give you an overdriven tone, but they can give a tube amp (like a VJ) more overdrive than a lower output pickup.

cleans in the bridge are usually never something to die for, and the emg 60 in the neck would do great.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I edited my post. Read that.

I don't play anything like popular brit, but I can get a pretty good Zeppelin OD sound from mine.

EDIT: You have a cube? They usually sound pretty bad thru a SS amp IMO.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Hey I have an EC-1000VB with an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck. They're both great pickups. I love how full and clear my 60 sounds when I'm just jamming on my clean channel. But try it out first if you can...
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
I edited my post. Read that.

I don't play anything like popular brit, but I can get a pretty good Zeppelin OD sound from mine.

EDIT: You have a cube? They usually sound pretty bad thru a SS amp IMO.

yeah i guess that brings me to another point...
i have a cube 60, but i think i am about to upgrade to a Line 6 HD150 watt head with the normal cab. That has a bunch of different amp models, so im hoping that will work. If not, i could always just get some sort of good pedal for the sound i want, and just right through the clean channel right?
god i hope i am
i've been planning for this forever, than all of a sudden realize **** these could be too gain-y
My Gear:
Peavey Valveking Stack
Boss ME-50
It can do cleans, if you roll the volume down some
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
ugh! do not get that gigantic spider amp!
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
EMG's sound pretty nice clean, and dont actually sound that bad thru a solid state.
BTW, Devilsguitarist, are the lines in your sig from Rosetta Stoned?
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
For the price of that Spider you could get a good tube amp, which I've heard from people on here, EMGs demand to sound good.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
yeah, i know
i could bust out a few hundred more and get a Mesa Boogie or something, but i want to go for the Line6 for its insane versatility. I'll definetly try out the tubes, thanks to your suggestion, but i'll see how it goes.

And i just confirmed that the Ec-1000 has an EMG 81 in the bridge and a EMG 60 in the neck, so that should be good. Im gonna try the guitar on thursday, worst case scenario i'll replace the pickups i guess.

haha new question,
the line6 is an alright guitar amp right?
i mean it looks pretty darn versatile and had a whole lot of models from clean to metal
i noticed the footswitch has a wah pedal, is that any good?
is it a real wah built in or what?
My Gear:
Peavey Valveking Stack
Boss ME-50
Quote by Devilsguitarist
yeah, i know
i could bust out a few hundred more and get a Mesa Boogie or something, but i want to go for the Line6 for its insane versatility. I'll definetly try out the tubes, thanks to your suggestion, but i'll see how it goes.

And i just confirmed that the Ec-1000 has an EMG 81 in the bridge and a EMG 60 in the neck, so that should be good. Im gonna try the guitar on thursday, worst case scenario i'll replace the pickups i guess.

haha new question,
the line6 is an alright guitar amp right?
i mean it looks pretty darn versatile and had a whole lot of models from clean to metal
i noticed the footswitch has a wah pedal, is that any good?
is it a real wah built in or what?

Do NOT get a Line 6 Spider III half stack. They're sterile and lifeless, and running EMGs in front of that crappy solid stand amp will make it sound even worse. They are versatile and if you like modeling amps, so be it but its really a terrible amp.

For $650 that puts you in the range of good used tube amps. Definitely search around for something more your style.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-Eclipse-II-Flame-Maple-Vintage-Honey-Burst-Electric-Guitar?sku=515957
If you can fork out a LITTLE more cash or wait a bit on the amp, that ESP Eclipse II gives you the choice of EMGs or SD's, and the ESP standard series will be of higher quality than the EC-1000.
I'd go for the model with the Duncans. More flexable, less hassle (not that EMGs are a terribble hassle), and easier replacement.
I like my 81/85 set. believe it or not... EMG's make some nice
glassy cleans. I honestly think that EMG's are they best blues pickups
available despite the metal interest. They can do almost anything
but have a little too much treble for some. You can get naturally
dark sounding guitar to balance it out. I love them in my SG to get
that in between les paul and strat sound. Also with the active pups
your volume knob will become a distortion control as well. As you crank
it up..the distortion will crank up too. If you go from passive pups to
active..the selector switch will make you feel like you have 3 pickups
as the middle wont be so useless anymore.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Don't get EMG's if you don't play metal, and don't get the Spider, it's an atrocious piece of kit - it doesn't have "insane versatility", sure it makes lots of different sounds but versatility is dependent on those sounds being usable, which they aren't.

There are far better amps out there for around that budget, like Traynor
http://www.music123.com/Traynor-YCV40-Custom-Valve-Combo-Amp-480959-i1145486.Music123
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com