I read that after a while your pickups become less sensitive, is this true? Do they lose their 'hotness'? Really am not sure if this is true because i know a lot of people use their guitar for A LOT longer time than 6 years and they still work fine, but just to be sure, im asking. My SG is a 2002, with alnico pickups, and they are raised as high as they will go without hitting the strings.

On a side note, whenever i tap on the high frets (15 and above) on my high e sting (beginning to the 'One' solo), it is really faint sounding. Also is it a lot harder to do pinch harmonics on the higher frets? And do they sound more faint or am i just messing them up? Thanks
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
I read that after a while your pickups become less sensitive, is this true? Do they lose their 'hotness'? Really am not sure if this is true because i know a lot of people use their guitar for A LOT longer time than 6 years and they still work fine, but just to be sure, im asking. My SG is a 2002, with alnico pickups, and they are raised as high as they will go without hitting the strings.

On a side note, whenever i tap on the high frets (15 and above) on my high e sting (beginning to the 'One' solo), it is really faint sounding. Also is it a lot harder to do pinch harmonics on the higher frets? And do they sound more faint or am i just messing them up? Thanks

Uh dude, when you raise them, you also make them more muddy.
And make sure you're on the bridge pickup for tapping and whatnot
And your pickups are not dying after 6 years, you're just paranoid.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
You should lower your pickups a bit, the magnets will be interfering with the strings too much and will possibly be causing false harmonics. Try this site as well for set up tips. http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Tone%20Tips_%20Pickup%20Heights/
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
from what little experience i have with pinch harmonics it never seems to be the same doin em on high frets as it is on lower ones...not sure if there is a reason, by same i mean i dont get them nearly as noticeable or clean sounding, but it could be because i suck. lol...far as pickups goin bad, i mean i dont know how long they last havent been playing long enough, but electronic do wear out like anything else, maybe not creat as much of a magnetic field...again, just speculating, so please forum spazzes dont go clepto on me, thanks.
Quote by shinedown98
from what little experience i have with pinch harmonics it never seems to be the same doin em on high frets as it is on lower ones...not sure if there is a reason, by same i mean i dont get them nearly as noticeable or clean sounding, but it could be because i suck. lol...far as pickups goin bad, i mean i dont know how long they last havent been playing long enough, but electronic do wear out like anything else, maybe not creat as much of a magnetic field...again, just speculating, so please forum spazzes dont go clepto on me, thanks.

Things do go out with time. Mostly though electronics fail due to heat. It sounds like his magnets are way to close to the strings. The magnetic field may be causeing enough force on the strings to do what is stated above.
I find it a little more difficult to do pinch harmonics when playing on the higher frets. I think it's because of the shorter length of the string. They're still do-able but I notice it's less certain you're going to get it to ring out each and every time.

oh and yeah your pickups are way too high.