I have had this guitar for awhile and it has been heavily used and now the screws that attach the strap to the body are coming out. Like I don't meen they are unscrewed but its like the threads on the inside of the hole, the threads in the wood, are all stripped and the screw feels like i could just rip it out. Needless to say i have tacked the strap off and I am not using it for now, but what do i do to fix this? Should i bore another, bigger hole in the place of the current one? But then will the new screw still fit in with my straplocks? Advice plz
Yeah, don't risk damage. Take it to a luthier.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Or maybe just get a set of strap locks

I THINK the hole diameter is bigger for them or the screw length is longer.... not sure though
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Mar 4, 2008,
Or you could try this. Find at your local hardware store a screw that is just a *tad* thicker than the existing screw and an inch longer. Make sure it has a very aggressive threading for wood. Your gonna need to pre-drill the hole in the body a little deep. Find a drill bit that is just a little slimmer than the shaft of the new screw. Drill the hole with that, and put your new screws in. Should fix your problem cheaply.
listen 2 the first guy or u will fuk it turst me i work with wood all day every day
I've glued 2 toothpicks in mine and and my nephews then replaced the screw, works great.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
i think its in need of its 5000 gig tune up anyway, ill probably take it by my local luthier and have em take a look.
Quote by Hubie1110
you can do that, like a toothpick usually works

toothpicks or matchsticks in the hole with some PVA, wait to dry and screw them back in. i did it on my guitar and it has lasted for months.
Quote by muff diver
Or you could try this. Find at your local hardware store a screw that is just a *tad* thicker than the existing screw and an inch longer. Make sure it has a very aggressive threading for wood. Your gonna need to pre-drill the hole in the body a little deep. Find a drill bit that is just a little slimmer than the shaft of the new screw. Drill the hole with that, and put your new screws in. Should fix your problem cheaply.

This is a bad idea, iv done this before and the bigger screw eventaually came out just the same as the first one making an even bigger hole.

The proper way is to dowel the hole then drill a new hole for the screws.

The cheat way is the toothpick/match method but its not a permanent solution.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
On of mine came out the first day I had the guitar, they had drilled a too big hole for the screw, I went down to the store where I bought it, they fixed it with super-glue and tootpicks. Haven't troubled me since. If it comes out again sometime in the future, I probably fix it myself just so it looks good, and I'm anyway going to buy a new guitar soon so then I won't use the strap.
The bigger screw fix only works if you use a big enough head. Most of the time, the reason buttons come out is the amount of play in the button itself causes it to move around, which yanks the screw out eventually. A slightly bigger screw but one with a much bigger head to assure there is no play in the strap button means you won't have any issues. Ihave tried this and it works.
I actually have 3 unused screw holes in my guitar from moving the strap buttons. Both ends have almost pulled out on me, but instead of putting them back in the exact same spot, I repositioned them to offer a better weight balance.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM