I'm working with a budget of about 600-700 at the moment. I play metal. I play a Pro series jackson rhoads V (seymour duncan pickups).

Any suggestions?
I bet you five bucks that I play guitar.
thats not to much money for a halfstack but take a look at the line 6's they are heavy on the tone but not to heavy on the wallet.
edit: id agree with the guy above honestly, i have a line 6 spider 2 210 its 120 watts and has 2 10 inch speakers (basically its a quarter stack) and it works fine, gets as loud as i need it to, even when playing with a drummer i only need to go about half way, and my drummer is loud.
i would suggest saving more money, i wouldn't even pay $700 on a cab, let alone the head to go with it.
unless you get a great deal on something used
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Save up and look at B-52, Bugera, Peavey 5150. You'll get more for your money used but $600-$700 will get you a decent head but not a decent head and cab. Also look into used Mesa's.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
Unless you're gigging I hear buying a half stack is the worst mistake you can make

+1 not needed for small venues or jamming or anything like that
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
even if your playing stadiums they just mic the amp anyway and pipe it threw the PA system, and they do the same at every show ive done.
Quote by CyberK007
even if your playing stadiums they just mic the amp anyway and pipe it threw the PA system, and they do the same at every show ive done.

You must have not been to any very big shows. Seriously though thats all you need but most bands I've seen have like 3 full stacks running. Why??? Because they have roadies who do the dirty work for them
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I'm gigging.

And I will be looking at used amps.
I bet you five bucks that I play guitar.
Definitely get an MG halfstack. I have dual ones. Hendrix used the MG halfstack and even gave Clapton one.

lulz
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Just get a used tube combo, halfstacks dont make you any cooler.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
You have insufficient funds for a good half stack.
If I was you I would go for a tube combo like mesa mark III, mesa caliber, peavey 5150, crate blue voodoo or crate stealth.

ps. Testament are gods
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
5150 2x12 combo ftw!!!
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by soul_power
You must have not been to any very big shows. Seriously though thats all you need but most bands I've seen have like 3 full stacks running. Why??? Because they have roadies who do the dirty work for them

Many of those bands just have the amps there for show. They're most certainly not all running, or cranked at the least - the front row would all go deaf. If they are running un-mic-ed, that usually makes for a bad live mix.

Angus Young, for example, has been running the JTM45 he's actually using to a isolation cab, so he can crank it, and then that is mic-ed and goes to the PA.

Threadstarter, there's no good halfstacks you can get for that price. What country do you live in?
Quote by ssguitar
5150 2x12 combo ftw!!!

r0ger
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
Unless you're gigging I hear buying a half stack is the worst mistake you can make

who told you that?

its great for jamming with.

We like to play loud where I'm from.

But don't get a half stack if your scared of loud noises.
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
But don't get a half stack for $600 if your scared of SHOTTY noises.

fixed
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
4x12's sound better to me. Not as pushed. with 2x12's you are pushing the speakers more and some people like that sound and some people like it split into 4 speakers. You can get louder with 4x12's without it sounded as pushed as it will with 2. Thats the reason for a half stack. Most people here will say you don't need one but thats bull****. If you want one and like the way it sounds then get one. usually its people that don't have half stacks that say that. How many metal bands you go see that have a combo amp sitting beside them? yeah thats what I thought.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

They sound worse for giggin (Well solid state anyway)

Seriously TS get a nice tube combo.

What styles do you play first of all?

Quote by soul_power

negative.

A backline. just for show. Most cases you will either see one cab mic'd or none because their amp would be behind them all.
Quote by CyberK007
thats not to much money for a halfstack but take a look at the line 6's they are heavy on the tone but not to heavy on the wallet.
edit: id agree with the guy above honestly, i have a line 6 spider 2 210 its 120 watts and has 2 10 inch speakers (basically its a quarter stack) and it works fine, gets as loud as i need it to, even when playing with a drummer i only need to go about half way, and my drummer is loud.

You are on drugs, yes?
Quote by paranormal5150
4x12's sound better to me. Not as pushed. with 2x12's you are pushing the speakers more and some people like that sound and some people like it split into 4 speakers. You can get louder with 4x12's without it sounded as pushed as it will with 2. Thats the reason for a half stack. Most people here will say you don't need one but thats bull****. If you want one and like the way it sounds then get one. usually its people that don't have half stacks that say that.

I understood and think its fine to get a halfstack IF you have enough money to get a good one. 600 bucks is going to get you a ****ty one.

Quote by paranormal5150
How many metal bands you go see that have a combo amp sitting beside them? yeah thats what I thought.

Probably the most insecure and immature thing you could say.
You would be better off with a tube combo, a Peavey Valveking, or Randall RG50TC would be an option in your budget new. Used I would look into a Peavey 5150 combo, they are usually around 600-700 dollars on ebay. You are not going to find a half stack that will sound even close to the options I have given you for under 1000 Period new or used. I assume you are into metal, with your sig, correct me if I am wrong.
Quote by paranormal5150
4x12's sound better to me. Not as pushed. with 2x12's you are pushing the speakers more and some people like that sound and some people like it split into 4 speakers. You can get louder with 4x12's without it sounded as pushed as it will with 2. Thats the reason for a half stack. Most people here will say you don't need one but thats bull****. If you want one and like the way it sounds then get one. usually its people that don't have half stacks that say that. How many metal bands you go see that have a combo amp sitting beside them? yeah thats what I thought.

Of course another option would be using a really well ported 212. There are reasons that companies like EarCandy don't even offer 412's.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
A Bugera 6262 stack can be bought for $680 at studica

Thats still over 600 though...

I might go with that or the combo for 550, im not quite sure yet. Id like to get 2 2x12 cabs eventually, but... thats more $ than my budget right now. Maybe i should just get the bugera cab for now if i get the stack?