Well I've saved up a $1000 and I'm in the market for a tele. The problem is, theres so many different kinds now that I don't know which one to get!I play Indie mostly.

If anyone could give me a quick rundown of the pro's and cons and differences of a MIM Standard, Highway series, MIA standard, Lite Ash, and other ones that may be in that price range it'd be nice. And also which one would you recommend?
MIA standard is the best from that list, by far. Next would be MIM, then Highway. All three are great guitars, but the MIA is differently the best. Dunno bout the Lite Ash never heard of them
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
What exactly is the difference between a Standard and a Highway? And why is it that much better?
I also don't know much of anything about the Lite Ash tele. In my opinion, the Highway 1 is the best of the other three, followed by MIA and then MIM. The Highway 1 has better pickups than the American Standard, and costs a lot less (like $150). There's a huge difference between the Mexican and Highway/American teles, though. The Mexican necks do not feel very substantial to me, and there's a noticeable difference in the quality of the sound because of the pickups, and other materials used in the guitar. My preference of Highway 1 over American Standard is just my opinion, so if you play the two and like the sound of the American better, go for it. I just know that the Mexican will leave you disappointed after knowing what else is out there.

I was sort of in the same boat a few months ago as you are now, and I managed to get a 20% off coupon and so I spent $1000 on an American Deluxe tele. I'm very happy with it, and I'm really glad I didn't decide to go with something that wasn't as high quality. It's nice not to have buyer's remorse, which is something you should definitely think about when you're buying.
Thanks for you input. I've heard that most of the difference comes from the finish of the HW1, different pick ups, and slightly inferior hardware parts. Plus the Hw1 comes in Daphne blue! haha.

I'll probably go to guitarcenter tommorow and try both out for size.
keep in mind, all three are fine guitars.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
The MIA model is generally regarded as the best, and they in my opinion have the best sound within that price range. I have tried both mexican and highway one teles and I have to say that although everything about the highway one should be alot better than the mexican, in my experience its not. I got a much better sound out of a mexican tele when I AB'd them through the same amp

Also, consider a G&L ASAT if you can find one, its the company Leo Fender started when the company split in the 70's
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
whats your amp?
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by musicmonkey34
I also don't know much of anything about the Lite Ash tele. In my opinion, the Highway 1 is the best of the other three, followed by MIA and then MIM. The Highway 1 has better pickups than the American Standard, and costs a lot less (like $150). There's a huge difference between the Mexican and Highway/American teles, though. The Mexican necks do not feel very substantial to me, and there's a noticeable difference in the quality of the sound because of the pickups, and other materials used in the guitar. My preference of Highway 1 over American Standard is just my opinion, so if you play the two and like the sound of the American better, go for it. I just know that the Mexican will leave you disappointed after knowing what else is out there.

a big +1

The Highway One Tele is an absolutely fantastic guitar. I can't put mine down. They sound look and feel great and after trying it next to the American Standard, I preferred the Hwy1. The finish on it makes it cheaper and (IMO) is a better finish, smooth, soft and comfortable (not all shiny and sticky)

I highly highly recommend it
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
amp should be upgraded before the guitar if you dont have a good one, so what amp do you have
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
All i'll say is quality control seems to be a big thing with the highway ones, i haven't liked any of the MIMs i've tried (3) i LOVED one of the highway ones i tried, and the didn't like the rest (out of 4) the MIAs i tried were as nice as the highway one i liked for 200$ more (i've tried 2 of them)
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Despite what people say, the lite ash tele is a fantastic guitar in all aspects.
nice budget and im sorry i cannot be of more help
Quote by firebreath07
to look more manly... who doesn't look manly with a small guitar?
I suggest a a Japanese Tele Thinline or a Highway One (not online if you can help it). In fact, Jap Fenders are probably the best place to look - fantastic build quality, and a few of them come with Custom Shop pickups too. The thinline models in particular work well for indie, but there's plenty of choice. G&L's ASAT is also worth closer inspection.
The mexican made signature models are a great deal, which is not generally the case with signature models. I highly recommend you check out the Muddy Waters or the Joe Strummer.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by latinosuperstud
amp should be upgraded before the guitar if you dont have a good one, so what amp do you have

I have a shoddy practice amp. But I generally use my dad's Hot Rod DeVille 410.

Thanks for your suggestions guys!
id have to say the new american standard. ive never really been a fan of the three-saddle bridges that come on the highway 1s

my favorite guitar that ive ever played though is the american deluxe tele...gotta love that contoured body in the back . maybe this summer (if i finally get a job) ill pick one up
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
MIA standard, MIJ > MIM plus better prices. the one with a humbucker and a single are really versaatile so if you play a wide range of music thats your best bet.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X