So I am probably going to attempt a "redneck mod" on my old squier (worth 20 bucks). I am thinking of coating the whole guitar in duct tape. I need to change the strings too, so should I just take all of them off at once (starting with high E i'm assuming) and just start laying tape down until the entire thing's covered? It isn't like I want it to look very good, this is my old junky starter guitar so I just want to layer it in duct tape for fun. Is there anything else I should take into mind before beginning? Any other cool ideas of what else to do before I start?
Thanks!
...I fail to see how that's redneck in particular and not just stupid.
rednecks are infamous for loving duct tape. duh
and also I always hated the finish of my squier. its' like sparkling blue. not the cool light blue on some fenders, but a dark sparkly blue. always hated it. I am probably going to try to sew denim around my nice guitar, so I wanted to do something different for this one. Something that just shouts "I don't really care about this". Duct tape seemed perfect.
Your sig is friggin funny.

I would just go patches of duct tape and do something else with the rest, but i cant think of anything.
I'm Tyler
I've actually done this before, got alot laughs from alot of folks.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Quote by Octtwe88
Your sig is friggin funny.

I would just go patches of duct tape and do something else with the rest, but i cant think of anything.

Why thank you! That was a hilarious post in the thread so I decided to sig it
Yeah, I don't know if I want solid duct tape, but I couldn't think of anything else either.

Quote by redneck516
I've actually done this before, got alot laughs from alot of folks.

awesome!
Quote by rush5757

Rednecks are also known for shooting stop signs, or just anything with guns.
I know, mainly because I'm from Alabama.

How about you wrap a bit of the guitar with duct tape and pop some caps into the body as well?
My gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul 100 (left-handed)
-Ibanez GRX20L (left-handed)
-Squire acoustic
-Epiphone Valve Junior Head Tube amp
-1x12 Cab
Just cover the pickguard in duct tape and do something different on the body. Would look stupid completely covered in duct tape.

Or do the body in duct tape and stick a confederate flag on the pickguard?

And yes you can just take all the strings off at once, it won't do anything.
please slacken your strings first, we wouldnt want you to loose an eye.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
It would be more redneck to paint a Confederate flag on the body, instead of duct tape.

-Mick.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by roast
It would be more redneck to paint a Confederate flag on the body, instead of duct tape.

-Mick.

That could get you shot.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
^^^
Zakk Wylde got away with it.
Dimebag didn't
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
/\ haha. And I don't have enough skillz to paint a confederate flag. Covering something in tape is one thing, but painting? no.
I reckon it'd look stupid, but as far as i'm concerned stupid is fun - go for it. If you're literally going to cover the whole thing in tape I have just one suggestion - make sure the volume pot is turned right up before you start tapin'....
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ColoRiffic-Stratocaster-Pickguard?sku=361410 get one of these in the design of your choice and cover the body in foil tape while the pickguard is off, it'll shield the body and look cool and shiny, but it's a bit more expensive than duct tape
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Meh, I speak my mind. Anyone who dosent deserves to get shot.

A confederate flag would be easy to do. Mask off the shape, spray the colors....White base...

Itd be be easy enough I would imagine.

-Mick
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
I'm going to take my old First Act and shoot it with a .45 a few times then tell people I used my guitar as a sheild to foil an attempt to kill me while on stage.

J/k about that last bit. I am gonna shoot it though.
Why not combine ideas and get some colored duct tape. That way you can make a duct tape rebel flag. Or light it on fire and spray some spray paint over it. Sand some areas for no reason.
Quote by rush5757
rednecks are infamous for loving duct tape.

Everybody's infamous for loving duct tape, man. If someone doesn't love duct tape, I bet they're a snooty fucked up weirdo.
Quote by PunkRocker33133

The confederate flag one looks like utter arse.

...and all duct tape can look awesome. Take heed, and bear witness.
Quote by Invader Jim
I'm going to take my old First Act and shoot it with a .45

I want pics of that!
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
^Yeah, me too. I'm half-hoping he'll snag some video of the process too, just in case it shatters into smithereen.
Quote by jklathem

I know, mainly because I'm from Alabama.
\

Me too.
I'm in the Huntsville area.
Ibanez RG2EX2 (w. EMG 81/85)
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60w DSP Tube
Ashdown Fallen Angel 412 Cab
Well, since you say you aren't handy with painting, but, maybe try making it look like its rusted metal.
Make a strap for it out of road kill.

Or doing something NASCAR-ish. Thats redneck. You may not get shot, but you may get sued though
Cover the guitar in flannel. That's pretty redneck, if you ask me.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/mat.htm Here's a tutorial that should help.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
If I was going to do it, I'd use black duct tape... because its cool.

To make it look really pro, you should get the duct tape up under everything... so remove everything from the body, tape it, then replace everything. That way there's no peeling edges. Be sure to layer it carefully and keep it straight, or its gonna look like complete garbage.

It might be cool to cross the body in a diagonal and keep all the tape going in the same straight line.

I'd be interested to see what tonal characteristics change.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
it probably gets a little tighter, id think.

Im actually gunna redo a guitar i built forever ago and throw a confederate flag on it. plus i had buweiser beer caps glued on it. getcha pull on that, city slickers
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Quote by rush5757
and also I always hated the finish of my squier. its' like sparkling blue. not the cool light blue on some fenders, but a dark sparkly blue. always hated it. I am probably going to try to sew denim around my nice guitar, so I wanted to do something different for this one. Something that just shouts "I don't really care about this". Duct tape seemed perfect.
Just so you know, rednecks don't have a monopoly on duct tape fetishes. Duct tape is the universal rock and roll fix all. Even those crazy canucks up north in Canada are heavy into the stuff.

Ever heard of a guy by the name of Red Green?

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Anyone who hasnt seen the Red Green show deserves to be shot.
Quote by kyrreca

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Quote by redneck516
Anyone who hasnt seen the Red Green show deserves to be shot a duct tape facial.
*fixed*

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by PimpedOutSquier
^^^
Zakk Wylde got away with it.
Dimebag didn't

hahah!

i was actually just going to say that Dimebag used a confederate flag, but you sir have an excellent point.

Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model