Its just a D octave

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
In case you were wondering, an octave is the same note but higher/lower pitched
basically you play them togather and on the d string you mute it with your fingure its called An octave.
Quote by killedbyaspork
because there is also a gibson squire, and they don't want to get them confused
How to do it:

Hold your index finger at the A string and lower it so it mutes the D string.

Now you can be awesome like the pro's.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
it's a technique used in a lot of poor mans solos...bands like the used and that crap i think
Quote by sowhat360
it's a technique used in a lot of poor mans solos...bands like the used and that crap i think

Let's find out that most bands use them as a rhythm accessory before we slag off bands that aren't technically skilled, mmmkay?
Dream Theater has used them in Scenes From a Memory and Systematic Chaos.

My Chemical Romance tends to use them for verse and chorus.

It's quite popular, both for rhythm and lead. Nothing wrong with having a note coming at two different octaves at once.
Quote by sowhat360

Don't be so quick to judge. They're used by a lot of awesome bands. Dream Theater was already mentioned by colohue. Muse is also a very musically talented band who uses them.
holy cow!!!
that so advanced and imposible
hahah just kiding guys
its called and octave
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by sowhat360

Hmmm.... some of the most technically advanced solos include octave-ized melody lines like this (especially in jazz). And, um, the melody to Third Rock From the Sun? Like, come on, brotato.

Actually, nevermind - only a ****ty guitarist would dare use something as simplistic and useless as an octave...
That's two D notes played one octave apart.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
it not really a very advanced technique, i started doing it while playing linkin park songs about 3 or 4 months into playing guitar. its really simple, and alot of bands use it in their rhythm playing
Actually, nevermind - only a ****ty guitarist would dare use something as simplistic and useless as an octave..

trent reznor uses them for harmony and a few solos, he's great!
and a single note is more simplistic, and octaves for harmony sound a lot better than overused power chords sometimes.
gd asses i know how to do it ive been doin it for 3 ****in years i just wanted to know the name. can we be a lil less ignorant?
Quote by Sicko 21X7
gd asses i know how to do it ive been doin it for 3 ****in years i just wanted to know the name. can we be a lil less ignorant?

How the hell are we being ignorant? The question was answered in the first fucking post. Stop whingeing, if anyone was ignorant (by the definition of the word, ie not knowing something) it was you for asking that question.

GTFO.
Wes Montgomery is a beast on octaves... His solos are amazing.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
3 years and you don't know wat an octave is?
learn your theory for crying out loud.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
3 years and you don't know wat an octave is?
learn your theory for crying out loud.

+1

and lol

and wrong forum.