I got my Alvarez used, and the guy had just put some Martin strings on there. I picked up a replacement set of what I thought were the same ones, and put them on last night. They were phosphorus bronze. Made my guitar sound like crap. These had a more brownish/reddish tint rather than gold, and the sound made it real twangy, especially like on the open A string. Is this normal? Do all phosphorous strings have a twangy echo-like sound? I don't like it. I'm guessing now they were the Martin 140's, I guess those are 80/20.
wait until they're worn in and see what they sound like ?
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
yea man the phosphor broze strings defintley have a twangy sound to them when theyre brand new. Once they get broken in a bit they get better.
Those others were brand new too and they sounded much differently. These strings have a strange sound that's both muffled and loud at the same time, just not pleasant to me. I'm going to try some 80/20's.
i used Martin SP Phosphor Bronze. never had a problem with twangyness. actually... i think those might have b een the best strings i've used so far in terms of sound. i have elixirs on right now... very comfortable to play, but they feel like they have no soul.
Quote by captivate
i used Martin SP Phosphor Bronze. never had a problem with twangyness. actually... i think those might have b een the best strings i've used so far in terms of sound. i have elixirs on right now... very comfortable to play, but they feel like they have no soul.

I literally just got back from buying some Martin SPs...weird. They sound great to me.
Yeah I've tried to like Elixir's but they didn't work out. Apparently the guitar you're putting it on makes a difference too, because those Martin SP's you mention are the exact thing that I've got and I don't like them at all. Personal preference too I'm sure. What happens when you put them on my guitar is that the lower notes sound very harsh. The mellow overtones disappear and all you've got is the basic note, which is really loud, and these harsh unpleasant harmonics. There is no ringing brightness like you expect when you get a new set of strings.
hmm... martin SP phosphor bronze makes my guitar's low notes sound rich and warm. much more full the elixirs. i guess it really does depend on the guitar then.
Quote by LeftyDave
Hey corny, what model Alvarez did you pick up?

Alvarez professional series PD-80S I think.

I put some Martin 140's which are 80/20 on last night and they sound much better. They still have some twang to them but it's nowhere near as much as the SP phosphorus, and it's disappearing pretty fast as I play it. I don't know why there would be much of a difference.
Quote by captivate
Martin SPs are coated arent they?

Yeah apparently they are. Maybe it's the coating that's giving the sound a slight twist.
Quote by corndogggy
Alvarez professional series PD-80S I think.

I put some Martin 140's which are 80/20 on last night and they sound much better. They still have some twang to them but it's nowhere near as much as the SP phosphorus, and it's disappearing pretty fast as I play it. I don't know why there would be much of a difference.

Do you like a loud, bassy, room filling sound, or do you prefer a mellow, soft sweet tone? Or maybe in between? Reason I ask is you could also try a set of Dean Markley GoldBronze strings. I had them on my Alvarez and it got pretty loud, with alot of good defined bassiness, but still had enough life in the mids and highs to be heard along with the lows. The actual string volume balance left a bit to be desired, like maybe they need to change up individual string gauges to equalize out the volume from string to string. Otherwise, they were nice. And each string is gold colored. Kind of different.
I like the bass very loud, but I like it sweet and clean. I don't like it when the wound strings are so loud that it sounds boxy and distorted with an echo. That's the best way I can describe it. My favorite sound is mellow strings with a slight metallic ring/shine to them.

Is there any way to manually hurry up the calming down process of new strings? Looking back, I really don't think I like the sound of any new string. I just thought these Martin's were different because when I picked up my guitar, the guy I got it from claimed that he just changed the strings. He made it sound like he changed them while I was on my way, within an hour of me playing it for the first time. It sounded perfect. These new ones are supposedly the same strings though and it's still giving that boxy echo'y sound more than before. I just want them to mellow out ASAP. These 80/20 Martin 140's are already mellower than the Martin SP phosphorous bronze but I want them even more mellow.
Quote by GC Shred Off
Yep, once they wear in, they settle down. I love the fresh string twang.

me too i love that fresh string sound.

If you don't like the brightness of the bronze you can always go for some other types of strings, there are various types of acoustic guitar strings that have different tones. For example silk and steel are really mellow.
Quote by corndogggy
I like the bass very loud, but I like it sweet and clean. I don't like it when the wound strings are so loud that it sounds boxy and distorted with an echo. That's the best way I can describe it. My favorite sound is mellow strings with a slight metallic ring/shine to them.

Is there any way to manually hurry up the calming down process of new strings? Looking back, I really don't think I like the sound of any new string. I just thought these Martin's were different because when I picked up my guitar, the guy I got it from claimed that he just changed the strings. He made it sound like he changed them while I was on my way, within an hour of me playing it for the first time. It sounded perfect. These new ones are supposedly the same strings though and it's still giving that boxy echo'y sound more than before. I just want them to mellow out ASAP. These 80/20 Martin 140's are already mellower than the Martin SP phosphorous bronze but I want them even more mellow.

I hear ya, and understand what you're getting at. I myself prefer the clear, ringing tones I get from the phos/bronze strings. I've got a set of D'Addarion EJ16's on my Alvarez now and they are nice. Non-coated, but that's alright for the moment, as I was after tone anyhow.
The Dean Markley Alchemy GoldBronze strings might just suit you. Play the current set you have on, wear them out, say a month or two, then give them a try. From what I remember about how they sounded when I used them, they ought to be great for you.
Quote by LeftyDave
The Dean Markley Alchemy GoldBronze strings might just suit you.

I've had those on my Ovation... they were so bright and shiny that my ears would ring for hours after I'd play! I like my strings to just have a hint of that shiny sound but otherwise be smooth and mellow. That's why I liked my last set of Martin's. These 80/20's will probably sound just like my guitar used to when they're broken in. Hopefully at least. It could just be that my cheap Ovation (applause) was a bad guitar to put those Alchemy's on.
i agree, alchemy goldbronze were very bright indeed. they had a very unique sound to them though. cant quite put my finger on it, but it was different. i put them on my cedar topped Art & Lutherie.
Different tone woods makes all the difference too, not just strings. My Alvarez is Sitka spruce top, and mahogeny back and sides. The DM's were darker than other strings on that guitar, which is why I suggested them.
Hopefully the Martins you have on now will wear in to your liking.
Ah, figured out the secret! It's my GHS Fast Fret wax/oil! I doused my new strings in that stuff and they immediately sounded "right". They don't sound "boxy" after wiping that oil on them. Now my guitar sounds like it used to. Sweet.
I use phosphor bronze DR Acoustic strings personally and I love them
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by PunkRocker33133
I use phosphor bronze DR Acoustic strings personally and I love them

+1 i switched from exp to these and love them my new favorite string and man do they sound great finger picked