why do bands come out with a cd that makes them a hit then come with there next cd and it sucks?

my answer is cause people wont criticize them as much anymore possibly...mainly because there popular now.....and because they dont work as hard as they use to...their are many reasons why the creative process goes down
because creativity isn't a consistant force sometimes bands make good albums sometimes they make bad ones.
great expectations.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." - Samuel Langhornne Clemens
it's usually because

a- the band is really not that talented, and have dried up any possible good ideas with #1

b- they rest on their laurels after receiving a warm reception for #1, and create an album full of things they've already done, thereby stagnating their sound.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
I thought that Master Of Puppets was better than Ride The Lightning and Kill 'Em All. I also thought that South Of Heaven was better than Reign In Blood, although most people will disagree with me on that one.
If your album is a big hit often the record company rush you into making the next one. I read an interview with Korn a few years ago where they said you should buy the odd numbered Korn albums because they take more time over them.
Quote by saphrax
Perhaps because the first album was written over time, and had time to develop as the band grew musically, whereas the 2nd album had to be written in a set time scale to keep the record label happy?

I'd say this is the main reason for great debut albums being followed by an awful second 9 times outa 10.
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
things change, people aren't in the same mindset as they were when they wrote that amazing album, it just happens. I mean look at Pink Floyd, The Wall is my favorite album, but then they come out with The Final Cut and it's a totally different atmosphere(I liked the album though ). Things just happen that way I guess, it's just something you have to live with.
Because if you loved the last album so much, if it isn't the same, if not better than the last album, you feel disappointed, not matter how strong of an album it is.
I agree, the record deals that alot of these artists have require many albums within a short amount of time. The first album would be a collection of their best works thus far, but after they produce their best work, they are left to push out another album compiled of their second best stuff, not allowing them time to produce something they fully appreciate. Or it could be a number of other things.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." - Samuel Langhornne Clemens
Quote by DeSean
People expect to much.

Thats why Majora's Mask was always so underrated

i played Majora's Mask before i played Ocorina of Time, annd i still thought that Majora's Mask sucked
because you expect them to make a good second album
and when they don't you notice it more.

take all the bands in the world
surely more have made good second albums than bad?

some are in a different class
look at oasis
Because you have a lifetime to write your first album, but months for your second.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

example- A7X
NEW BTBAM 2009

NEW NECROPHAGIST 2009

NEW NILE 2009

NEW BEHEMOTH 2009

Have Xbox Live?
Gamer Tag: BehemothCm
Hmm i can think of a few bands whos second album was amazing. QOTSA - No On Knows??
springs to mind.