Hey everyone,

Been reading around for a bit here, and nice to see such a friendly community

Hopefully someone here will be able to help me with a small nightmare i'm having.
I'm 22, and have decided i want to do something practical with all the spare time i've got, and have considered playing the guitar in the past, and would love to learn. I'll be self teaching, and most likely looking for local tutors to get some lessons to.
I love listening to a huge scope of music, and like to think i have a very broad mind when it comes to music and appreciate it for the tones and sounds, rather than just because its X type by Y artist. My predominate listening though is more the indy and brit rock than anything else. I love the tones from the music, however my favourite music at the moment is something along the lines of Snow Patrol.

I'm trying to find a good guitar to start out with, and looking to spend ideally £200-£300 but will stretch to £400. But i'm completely overwhelmed by all the options, and choices available to me. I'm also struggling to find any good websites for gear reviews.

I've seen a few starter packs, within the low end of my price bracket, which sounds great, but heard some very mixed opinions as to if they are any good. Nor can i find any information about the guitar itself (Bandit ST2).

If anyone can throw me some ropes here or help guide me, it'll be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jason
Yamaha Pacifica for your first electic.

I wouldnt really get any started packs if I were you, waste of money.

Most people seem to recommend the Roland Cube amps for a small first amp, or a vox valvetronix.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I would suggest that you buy a used guitar. Ive bought new guitars all my life and i realize its such a waste of money, when you can get one on for example ebay at almost half the price. so check out the second hand market.
Yup...Yamaha Pacifica 112 + Roland Microcube and you're pretty much set.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73153
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/roland-micro-cube/12942
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
for 320 u could get an ibanez S470, quite reliable and comfortable to play, that could putyou off to a fine start
Try to spend about half of your budget on your amp; a Yamaha Pacifica and Vox Valvetronix would work well.
Wow thanks for all the quick responses.. I wasn't so much so soon.

I realise i forgot to mention in the post i'll be buying most likely new however, as i can get a grant/loan at 0% if i buy new. Not sure if that changes anything, but i will definately look at those that have been suggested.

Oh, and does anyone know anything about Bandit, as they seem to have a few guitars around in the bracket i'm at, but i'm guessing not being able to find anything about them means they'll best be left alone.

Thanks again!
Skip the packs.

If you need to, save up a bit more and get you a decent mid range guitar. Doesnt have to be a big name brand either. I was in the same boat as you about 8 months ago.

I bought a starter pack cause I though it was a great deal, but I could tell the quality was ass as soon as I got home. For the price of the whole pack, plus an extra $175 (usd) I got me a made in Mexico Fender HSS Stratocaster. I then bought a Vox 15w Valvetronix amp about a month later for $160 (usd).

More expensive than a starter, but Im much happier. I'm looking to pick up an ESP LTD 1000 soon too.
In my opinion starter packs aren't bad at all for someone just starting out. I think that they are a good deal and should last you a bit as you learn... Look at the Ibanez or the Laguna starter packs.. they're pretty good...

You can always upgrade later, and truth is that when you do upgrade to a better guitar, you'll have a better idea of what will play better for you and why...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Yeah you should definitely get a 50w Valvetronix, really versatile and will be good for anything higher volume in the future

But where could you get one in the UK, i don't know ........

>.>

<.<

<.<
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
As some others said: Avoid the starter packs. They usually have a decent guitar and bad amp, or the other way around. A Yamaha pacifica 112, Ibanez GAX or GRG or some epiphone should be fine. I never heard of Bandit, I'd rather avoid them. Make sure to buy an amp with at least 15w, 10w amps have smaller speakers and sound really bad in comparison. A marshall, Roland or especially Vox Valvetronix are good. But avoid Peavy amps in that price range. Don't forget to buy a quality cord, strap and tuner (I recommend Korg) as well as some picks.

And about this being such a nice community: You haven't been to the pit yet, have you?
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 4, 2008,
Thanks again for all the information.

I rang and spoke with a large music store which is fairly local and had a chat about the kind of things they do within my price range and the guy there seemed to hold the Cort G Series (namely Cort G250TAB) in high esteem and would fit into my price bracket with a Vox 15W Valvetronix puts it at £305 ish, i'll still need to get a bag, leads and all the other bits, but i think i could talk the guy into doing a deal with a bit of luck.

From what i've read the G250 is a very nice guitar, but i can not find any with the TAB on the end, but wonder if its just a 250 model and the TAB is a reference to the Tobacco Burst colour its in.

I'm going to look at the Yamaha Pacifica's now though.

Quote by TheQuailman
And about this being such a nice community: You haven't been to the pit yet, have you?

And no.. No I haven't yet... I may have to have a peak though by the sounds of things.
I didn't play the Cort G250 yet, but I tried some other Corts at the local store. I liked them quite a lot, they seem sturdy and the necks feel good. If you like it - go for it.

One more thing: If you have a friend or relative who plays guitar, ask them to help you choose your equipment, and who can maybe show you a riff or two, so you are a little prepared when heading to the store. Nothing is better than being able to try out all the stuff yourself.
Quote by jxljxl
Yeah you should definitely get a 50w Valvetronix, really versatile and will be good for anything higher volume in the future

But where could you get one in the UK, i don't know ........

>.>

<.<

<.<

Quote by TheQuailman
One more thing: If you have a friend or relative who plays guitar, ask them to help you choose your equipment, and who can maybe show you a riff or two, so you are a little prepared when heading to the store. Nothing is better than being able to try out all the stuff yourself.

I wish it were possible, unfortunately all my guitar playing friends have run off to uni and known are around this week to help me out there. From what i've gathered though the people where i may end up buying it from are honest though, and with the help i've recieved and gained from this forum should be of some use.

Oh, just been reading that review site grim1 posted (many thanks to that) on the Cort G250 here and it seems to be held in fairly high regard so will definately give it a good look at when i manage to get to a store.
Last edited by squizzel at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by Axe Murderer
The VOX amp should do you good for awhile. I LOVE mine.

Yep, VOXs certainly are great amp......I ean, why get 15w when you could 50w from a friendly UGer......

<.<
>.>
<.<
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by jxljxl
Yep, VOXs certainly are great amp......I ean, why get 15w when you could 50w from a friendly UGer......

<.<
>.>
<.<

anyway, enough of the advertising.
about the Cort, a good guitar it may be, try it first and try others, I can't make that clear enough. most of the reviews here are made during the 'honeymoon period,' people aren't going to say bad remarks about kit they've just spent alot of money on.

Try it yourself basically.
Okay, armed with lots of different info and facts and opinions, i intend to jump on a train to the store to peruse and with a bit of luck purchase a guitar by the weekend.
This has just posed me a slightly embarrassing problem.. Everyone has said "give it a play see how it feels", however, this is literally my first ever guitar, never held one in my life or anything. I'll feel like a caveman being given a shotgun and try hitting things with it, as i don't know how to use its potential.

Any tips on how?
The salesperson will play it for you. But be aware that these guys are damn good musicians usually, so they can even make relatively bad gear sound good. If you are lucky you might meet an exceptionally nice sales guy who'll show you a riff, so you can try out the equipment yourself.
Don't be to worried about it. If you stick with the brands people posted here you should be fine. It is hard to find a guitar these days that REALLY sucks and if you get hooked on playing, you'll probably want to buy better gear in the near future anyway. But anyways, take your time when choosing your stuff. If the sales guy wants to get your money, he'd be better off showing you everything you want to see (or hear, in this case).
The pacifca's blow. Don't listen to these guys. Get an Ibanez Jumpstart pack, it's got everything you need and a decent guitar.
the pacifica doesnt "blow" it is an awsome starting guitar. like the others said get a vox valvetronix as your amp though. it will definitly last you a long time and the guitar is awsome for the price
Thanks again guys (and gals?). Time for me to head to bed, and i'll have a think about all thats been said and i've read. Pretty certain i'll head out tomorrow now to see what I can find and hear. Will keep you all posted
Quote by freshtunes
The pacifca's blow. Don't listen to these guys. Get an Ibanez Jumpstart pack, it's got everything you need and a decent guitar.

The Pacifica pisses all over the bog-standard piece of entry level junk that you'll get in an Ibanez starter pack.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

So many good guitars to start with but most def recommend a vox valvetronix for a starter amp
Ok well, i got back from my shopping trip today. I think i got myself a bit of a bargain, but i'm interested if it really is.

I've picked myself up a 2nd hand ESP Customshop Traditional Telecaster in Red. Complete with Flight case, strap, lead and a really cheap 10W amp for £410.

Its flawless except for one tiny mark on the front of it.

Here's what it looks like (pic stolen from the advert on websites page)

How'd I do?
You'll regret the amp - you really should have spent more on the amp...

...having said that, that is one sexy as hell guitar, I think we can let you off
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah i am aiming to get an amp as soon as my next pay day hits, but considering i technically got the Amp, leads, strap, and hard flight case for £10... I'd be stupid to complain.

There's a slight humming noise though when its plugged in. Not sure if its due to interference and an unshielded cable, or an earthing problem in the guitar, but will test later/tomorrow to work it out.
Well most of what you paid went towards the guitar so you are fine. Great color. Down the road try the Vox and see what you think. Good buy.
valvetronix are awesome, but i'm in agreement really with the guys who said the yamaha pacifica and roland micro cube.
EDIT: read the 2nd page, saw you'd gotten yourself some stuff. nice choice on the telecaster :]
i do love me a good tele.

oh, and doubleedit:
the humming could either be a bad soldering in the jack plug of the guitar, a bad cable, or some kind of poor quality volume/gain sideeffect of the amp. wouldn't try to make any kind of reparations on anything until you've tried the guitar with a different lead / amp.
Last edited by kthxbi at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
Yup...Yamaha Pacifica 112 + Roland Microcube and you're pretty much set.

+1